If you're waiting on transportation priorities in and around Detroit to change... Then my advice is for you to run to Portland. Pack your bags and leave as soon as humanly possible.

When I left Michigan there were these promises of a commuter train line linking Ann Arbor with Detroit, and a stop along the way linking both cities to the airport. Such a service seems pretty elementary for a metropolitan area the size of Metro Detroit. It's what they teach in the 2nd week of Managing Large Metropolitan Area 101. But most metropolitan areas the size of Detroit aren't dying either [[in part due to its own volition). Five years later and you've still got no train.

You never know what the future may bring, but I have no reason to believe that Detroit's promises about improved transit services are any less half-hearted today than they have been at any other point during the past 60 years. The odds are that we will look up in 10 or 20 years and the Detroit area will likely still be a stagnant and/or declining region. This will be in large part because the Detroit area has a habit of electing a bunch of lame ass politicians.