Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Of the hundreds of people I know, almost all are all making $20.00-$25.00+ hourly or else they are temporarily unemployed. Certainly they aren't spending all their money like they used to, but I wouldn't say the middle class is non-existent. Or...perhaps it's time to redefine what middle class is.....

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Of the hundreds of people I know, almost all are all making $20.00-$25.00+ hourly or else they are temporarily unemployed. Certainly they aren't spending all their money like they used to, but I wouldn't say the middle class is non-existent. Or...perhaps it's time to redefine what middle class is.....
    You're right. Personnel views are not really accurate, as impressions may change from circle to circle. For example; you have implied [[I think) in past conversations, that you are older than me. Unemployment rates are much higher for younger citizens, as opposed to older citizens. The view may be extremely different to various demographics.

I am adding some footnotes stating some references for you Wolverine, and will be posting some links for you tomorrow.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; September-13-10 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    You're right. Personnel views are not really accurate, as impressions may change from circle to circle. For example; you have implied [[I think) in past conversations, that you are older than me. Unemployment rates are much higher for younger citizens, as opposed to older citizens. The view may be extremely different to various demographics.

I am adding some footnotes stating some references for you Wolverine, and will be posting some links for you tomorrow.
    I'm assuming not much older since I've only been out of college for a year. But the fact that the majority of my classmates were able to obtain good paying jobs at salaries that have long been classified as middle class, I was questioning your point that it was non-existent. Has the middle class shrunk? Yes. I think it needs to be redefined however.

"The desire for a luxury urban lifestyle is still alive and well in America."

The question is this: Is Detroit still part of America? The current urban ideal appears to be somewhere in the sun belt with shiny new high rises gleaming in the 90 degree heat, right to work laws, and crowds of "highly paid" young professionals flocking to newly opened coffee houses and sushi bars. Concurrently, Detroit's image, helped along by the national media, morphed into that of a rusty holding tank for the "other", the great unwashed, the hopeless and the hapless, dinosaurs who still expect a living wage, savages who dine on wildlife, and most of all those who are not like "us" [[U.S.)

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    I'm assuming not much older since I've only been out of college for a year. But the fact that the majority of my classmates were able to obtain good paying jobs at salaries that have long been classified as middle class, I was questioning your point that it was non-existent. Has the middle class shrunk? Yes. I think it needs to be redefined however.
    I think we have similar thoughts. Using individual views was a mistake. Each social group's view and ability probably doesn't actually prove a conclusive answer[1].