Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Eminem

DetroitDad Guest

And you can listen to the entire record on MySpace.

http://myspace.com/eminem

The only M & M I like is covered with a thin candy shell and doesn't melt in your hand! Just looking at that guy grabbing himself like he is infested with unmentionables is telling me more than I care to know about him, lol.

Someone told me that trailer park was in Warren of off 8 mile between Ryan and Dequindre, on the right side going West?

I saw Eminem on Jimmy Kimmel last night and he looked good. Glad that blonde hair is gone

Sludgedaddy Guest

The soundtrack for the Decline of Western Civilization. Most of this genre is repeatitive sing-song doggeral. Spinning in their graves lie the restless spirits of Jimmy Launceford, Cab Calloway, Ella Fitzgerald and even Red River Dave and the rest of the Grand Masters of American Music.

DetroitDad Guest

I don't even consider it music Sludgedaddy. It is more like poetic story telling with some background sound to make it flow.

diver1369 Guest

I always wondered when the generational divide would kick in for me. Rap is musical fascism to me. Sullen, belligerent, lyrics that glorify violence with a repetitive monotonous beat and rhythm with no melodic relief. It gives me some insight into those who thought rock n' roll was probably thought of in the same manner.

Ravine Guest

I'm old enough that my opinion of rap and/or hip-hop doesn't much matter. It's like this: If you're not speaking to me, in the first place, who cares whether or not I get what you're saying?

The self-aggrandizing poses, the gleeful hedonism, the imaging of parasitic thugs/pimps as heroes, the aggressively ignorant embrace [[and celebration) of Prison Culture, the childish rhyming; all of that bullshit, prevalent in rap, is a major, major turn-off to me, and I will go to my grave firmly opining that wearing one's pants in such a way that one's undies show spells "sissy," "loser," or both.

I had to say all of that, in order to use my general viewpoint as a backdrop for what I want to say about Eminem.

Even in cases where I may not respect, or agree with, that which is being said or written, I have boundless appreciation for the ability to use language in an effective, graceful, efficient, clever, elegant, or powerful manner.

In my opinion, Marshall "Eminem" Mathers may not be a genius, but dammit, he's close enough.

"Old Time's Sake" is my favorite so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    I'm old enough that my opinion of rap and/or hip-hop doesn't much matter. It's like this: If you're not speaking to me, in the first place, who cares whether or not I get what you're saying?

The self-aggrandizing poses, the gleeful hedonism, the imaging of parasitic thugs/pimps as heroes, the aggressively ignorant embrace [[and celebration) of Prison Culture, the childish rhyming; all of that bullshit, prevalent in rap, is a major, major turn-off to me, and I will go to my grave firmly opining that wearing one's pants in such a way that one's undies show spells "sissy," "loser," or both.

I had to say all of that, in order to use my general viewpoint as a backdrop for what I want to say about Eminem.

Even in cases where I may not respect, or agree with, that which is being said or written, I have boundless appreciation for the ability to use language in an effective, graceful, efficient, clever, elegant, or powerful manner.

In my opinion, Marshall "Eminem" Mathers may not be a genius, but dammit, he's close enough.
    Ravine, you took the exact words out of my mind and presented it way better than I could have done.

There are a lot of rap performers who are just spewing incoherent words that rhymes in some way. However, there are only a very few who are actually capable of stringing together those rhyming words to form complete sentences that mean something, and something thought-provoking at that. On top of that, many rap artists also choose to ramble and mumble their way so rapidly that it is virtually impossible to understand what's being uttered. Again, there are only a very few select rappers/emcees who can slow the pace down so that the audience could comprehend the message.

Eminem is one of the very rare few.

Ravine Guest

Right. I mean, "I agree."
    Actually, though, he is so adept at stringing that stuff together at breakneck speed that, as I told my son, I can't hear fast enough to keep up with him.

Blarf Guest

Eminem can string all the words in the world together, that still doesn't make his music enjoyable.

Ravine Guest

Enjoyable for who?
    Blarf, you and DetroitYes! should get along just fine & dandy. It seems that you don't see your opinion as being merely your opinion, but as a factual representation of The Truth.

Ravine Guest

yah slim if yer up at the lake- [[you know, there's only one lake in Michigan) stop by on July 4th we're gonna be jammin, before the fireworks at the sandbar ...one mile up from the TR bridge- ya sure, I know you'll make it [[the real Slim) 11477 W. T.L. Drive can't wait for the new CD ...

Ravine Guest

Thanks for sharing what seems like material for a personal text message with the rest of the class, Gleeman.

Quote Originally Posted by Gleeman View Post
    yah slim if yer up at the lake- [[you know, there's only one lake in Michigan) stop by on July 4th we're gonna be jammin, before the fireworks at the sandbar ...one mile up from the TR bridge- ya sure, I know you'll make it [[the real Slim) 11477 W. T.L. Drive can't wait for the new CD ...
    I wasn't aware Eminem was a DetroitYes poster, well isn't that dandy. Should I try to get all of my people signed now or what? lol

I am 60 years old and this guy Mathers and Kid Rock make me want to puke

[Aside to the world, Hey, look what thread was resurrected! ]

Eminem is the Shakespeare of rap.

LouHat Guest

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    This probably isn't the right crowd to be discussing this with,
    Sure it is, he sucks, he's a wormy little stylist [[and what a stupid style to pick!), a complete embarrassment. Doubt me? Google Rob Tyner.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2