Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    As much as I [[like most) distrust and dislike Matty Moroun, this could turn into a good thing. It is unforunate that the plan calls for the demolition of the tower, put at least some of the building will be perserved for a purpose that is for good. I don't want to see ALL of the building gone, but if just some if left for future generations I will be happy.
    Note that the GSA guy said he was not familiar with this announcement. Could just be more hot air from Moron [[sic).

Great job for the troll under the bridge. He lets the building rot and then now wants to sell it. Fuck it. Just level the thing already.

dexterferry Guest

I don't understand why so many people are saying that the destruction of the tower is acceptable and inevitable. It's not like it's an unadorned modernist box dropped onto a beaux-arts masterpiece---there are many beautiful classical elements on the exterior of the top floors and the look and silhouette of the building will lose so much if the tower is leveled.

Quote Originally Posted by dexterferry View Post
    I don't understand why so many people are saying that the destruction of the tower is acceptable and inevitable. It's not like it's an unadorned modernist box dropped onto a beaux-arts masterpiece---there are many beautiful classical elements on the exterior of the top floors and the look and silhouette of the building will lose so much if the tower is leveled.
    Oh most definately! But if that's what can save at least SOME of the building, I will be happy. I would not be surprised if the Tower cannot be rehabed. I would not want to work below a tower that can fall any minute. I would love to know if it is rehabable and would love for it to be used.

So the Bridge Compnany wants to turn MCS into 50,000 square feet of office space by tearing down the office tower portion and turning the train station on the ground floor into office space. Is it me or would the cavernous train station portion of the building be incredibly inefficient office space?
    Last edited by E hemingway; May-01-09 at 11:10 PM.

I don't understand why Maroun held onto the property for so long if he didn't intend to make some money from it. Rich people don't get rich by owning zero-occupancy dead property that doesn't generate income. Why would Maroun take on the monolithic liability of the depot for so many years unless he hoped to profit from it at some point? Most billionaires are right about opportunities more often than they're wrong. As some of my fellow DY'ers have it, Maroun only keeps the thing to cast a dark shadow over the land and to anger people on this forum.

Unless demolition of the depot is a bargaining chip in Maroun's attempt to build his second bridge, I expect he will lease it or sell it long before he demolishes it. Any way you look at this, he will make money from the depot.

Blarf Guest

Maybe he just owns it because he thinks it looks cool. If you have that much money, you can afford to do things like that.

[quote=Irvine Laird;14541]I don't understand why Maroun held onto the property for so long if he didn't intend to make some money from it.quote]

I think Gistok knows the story behind the story, but Manny never bought the building; he aquired it through seizure for an outstanding debt. The reason he kept it was not for the building, but for the rail access and tunnel. The building has no value to Manny, never did.

The last time there was heat on Maroun, he toddled out some redevolpment plans, had models built, held public meetings ... blah.blah.

Again, I think Gistok is the guy with the info

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Note that the GSA guy said he was not familiar with this announcement. Could just be more hot air from Moron [[sic).
    Also, please note that he is proposing to lease all of the train station part of the building when he doesn't own all of it. His defense when the law suit was first raised was that vandals were entering the building through the portions that the City of Detroit owned; therefore he had no responsibility for the building's current condition.