Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by tangerine View Post
    There is generally in our region a shocking disregard for pedestrian rights. A pedestrian in a cross walk has the right of way provided that he enters the cross walk while vehicles are reasonably far away. I often experiment with this in and and around Birmingham, especially the cross walk on Woodward between Maple and Lincoln.

I would estimate that the rate of compliance among motorists is under 10%. This means than 90% do not yeild for the pedestrian [[me) in the crosswalk, as they are required to do under state law.

I think this is a very unflattering aspect of our regional culture.
    I don't think it has anything to do with "regional culture", and it has *everything* to do with the design of the thoroughfare. MDOT designed the roadways in Michigan to move as many cars as quickly as possible, and nothing else. Pedestrians, bicyclists, and transit riders weren't even afterthoughts.

These people obviously forgot South America.

In Sao Paulo, there are at least a dozen deaths per day due to various causes: people not paying attention while driving, people blowing red lights at all hours, buses driving to close to the curb, people trying to outrun lights/cars or darting out in front of traffic, drunk driving.. the list goes on.

I can´t believe more pedestriants die in Detroit vs Sao Paulo [[world´s 3rd largest city). Something is wrong with the data..
    Last edited by vivadetroit; September-16-10 at 06:41 PM.

This article contains a glaring error. I believe that Detroit might be the 2nd deadliest for pedestrians in the NATION, but in the world? Absolutely not by a long shot, and anyone's who's traveled could tell you that from personal experience.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    No, a huge part of it is how fast the car is going.
    Are you sure the car and/or driver has something to do with it? Most drivers would tell you they do no wrong... EVERYTHING is in THEIR way!

I bet this bullsh*t article has people just wanting to bring their families to Detroit.

At least we're not as miserable as Cleveland according to Forbes.
    http://www.forbes.com/2010/02/11/ame...s_slide_2.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2