Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

God Bless and be with you DFD.

Several 'burb FDs assisted Detroit in the 1980s, hell there's photos of it in the old Bill Eisner books. We use volunteer departments here on a regular basis, since the early 1990s. Hopefully the injuries to the brothers are minor.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Robinwood is the entirely abandoned/vacated street that was discussed recently in this thread, correct?
    I believe the fires were at Robinwood near Van Dyke, that's near the 8000 block. There are some houses there with occupants. Robinwood near Woodward - John R is almost all vacant.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryFD View Post
    Several 'burb FDs assisted Detroit in the 1980s, hell there's photos of it in the old Bill Eisner books. We use volunteer departments here on a regular basis, since the early 1990s. Hopefully the injuries to the brothers are minor.
    In 1984 eight suburban departments sent equipment to assist the DFD. Yesterday's fire on Moenart south of Luce, Warren FD was on the scene with two engine companies.

In July, the Oakland County Tech Rescue Team was called to assist with a trench rescue, then recovery at 3572 W. Euclid.

http://www.detroitfunk.com/?p=4703

Absolutely the craziest thing Ive ever seen. No arson - I saw the arcing power lines myself. That hood is 75% abandoned tinder, interspersed with normal neighborhood folks in houses. That is what made it so horrible, no way to save every third house with flames and embers blowing straight through the dry trees and brush and pre burnt house shells. People were ejected from homes, and were wandering around in shock.

I started packing up my camera equipment when I opened my front window and smelled fire - I live at Vernier and Harper. [[8mile/I94)

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    Could be a typo, but you do kinda contradict yourself here Buy American. Maybe Meddle is right.
    Really not a topic to argue about though.
    If this is incorrect information or not, it was issued directly by the Chief of the Detroit Fire Department. That was an official press statement, wrong or right - not merely somebodys recollection on the board. So go argue with DFD over it.

Sometimes pride clouds memory, totally understood.

The cause of the fire. Lots of down powerlines from the backyards of many Detroit ghettohoods. Warm strong tropical storm force winds created by backside of the low pressure brining cool air from Canada and warn high pressure temperatures from the upper northwest push the down wires to the very dry grass, weeds and trees. The strong tropical storm force winds set many occupied, vacant and abandon Detroit homes on fire. Houses began to burn like paper. The fire quickly spreads to more homes in each block carrying by pieces of flaming embers. Detroit Fire Department was having trouble putting out the flames that fewer Detroit neighborhors have to assist. Fewer suburban fire departments might have to step in to assist the Detroit firefighters and the neighbors. Over 85 Detroit homes are gone in the flash. Neighbors lost everything that they put their blood sweat and tears into it. Many folks are thinking about moving away from the city or stay to rebuild.

DTE Energy customer service program was is BIG BLAME of not responding to thousands of compliants from various Detroit neighbors that the powerlines are arcing and falling down. KING BING better step up and assist the costs of hundreds of Detroit neighbors so that could rebuil their living space. This event was a worst firestorm since the dreaded fire of 1801.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

While over 900,000 Detroiters continue to live in Hades.

Neda, I miss you so.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post
    I guess firefighters are going to have to carry guns, now? This is crazy!
    Firefighters have been shot at, spit on, robbed....the city is full of two-legged animals who have no idea how to live like a human being.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Think what you will. I was there.
    ...well so was I. Sorry to deflate you memory but other departments never helped Detroit...sometimes they were on stand-by to help, sometimes the suburban departments would respond if a fire was near the border between Detroit and their city and you saw the equipment then. Detroit helped Hamtramck, Highland Park and I remember Dearborn one time.

Meddle...were you there in an official capacity [[ie., firefighter, administration) or an observer?
    Last edited by Buy American; September-08-10 at 08:15 AM.

How about a small bright spot?

Although the fire at Chene and Hendrie took out the building it was in-three small defunct businesses, and had the roof cave in on that building-the building next door, which used to be Ms. Oliver's antique store, is pretty much intact. It does have some roof damage, and the front door had to be replaced-but, the firefighter's tore it off to get to Ms. Oliver-who is shaken, but okay. Old 1900 firewall held when it had to.

But the scrappers are already stripping the burned building-arslochs!

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    Could be a typo, but you do kinda contradict yourself here Buy American. Maybe Meddle is right.
    Really not a topic to argue about though.
    Let me clarify, I retired in the 90's. From the time I worked in the Fire Department [[30 years on the job), there were never any official calls put out to a suburban fire department for help in any fire. In 1984, the peak of devils night, Detroit received no help. This is coming from a very good source in Communications who worked Devils night and coordinated ALL equipment, runs, EMS, etc.
    If suburb fire departments have helped since then, it's still news to me because I am very close to the department today.
    I am not arguing a point here but the records will speak for themselves. If anyone has pictures, data, proving different, please feel free to post it, I will definitely apologize for my error if I am wrong.

Any word on how much the lack of rainfall this summer played into the fires?

quick question... were the fires at 7 Mile & Van Dyke or 7 and Gratiot. Read online that there were fires in both or was that a typo? God Bless all of those poor firefighters!

lilpup Guest

What lack of rainfall? July was one of the wettest on record!

ferntruth Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    I heard on the news this evening that several suburban fire departments helped the DFD tonight and I thank them all. This is one of the first times in my memory that this has ever happened.
    At least you finally admitted you were wrong - that's a start.

I was at home yesterday and noticed two things:

1. It was windy out. Things were hitting the house.

2. The fire engine located at Joy and Southfield made several runs as I heard the siren on multiple occasions during the windstorm.

BTW fire departments do cross lines and help all the time. Its a brotherhood.

Every single day I see a new house burnt to ash. Not just yesterday, but EVERY DAY. Sometimes I feel like I wish Detroit would just go ahead and die. If you ever saw an elderly loved one suffer and you know that they will only continue to deteriorate, as hard as it is, sometimes you wish for their peace. Detroit is one city that CAN'T be turned around. She has been dying for six decades and is crippled on her death bed. Maybe if she just dies, something positive can take her place. It's just heartbreaking to see the enormous destruction that has fallen over this city in just the last six years, not to mention the decades preceding. Here's a link to a video that is just heart wrenching when you think of the destruction and the handicapped [[as in having limited manpower, equipment) firefighters that are tasked to respond.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20100907-wpms

Firebugs. Sometimes it's neighbors who want to get rid of a drug house or a vacant house. The big-business version is that somebody pays crackhead $500 to burn down a house.

Due to high winds, we get a few more houses thrown in free.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ferntruth View Post
    At least you finally admitted you were wrong - that's a start.
    Hearing the news last night about suburban fire departments providing help for Detroit was heartening....however, during my tenure with the Detroit Fire Department [[30 years), help from neighboring fire department was never requested.

Are you a firefighter in Detroit, active or retired that you know for a fact that what I am saying isn't true?

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Every single day I see a new house burnt to ash. Not just yesterday, but EVERY DAY. Sometimes I feel like I wish Detroit would just go ahead and die. If you ever saw an elderly loved one suffer and you know that they will only continue to deteriorate, as hard as it is, sometimes you wish for their peace. Detroit is one city that CAN'T be turned around. She has been dying for six decades and is crippled on her death bed. Maybe if she just dies, something positive can take her place. It's just heartbreaking to see the enormous destruction that has fallen over this city in just the last six years, not to mention the decades preceding. Here's a link to a video that is just heart wrenching when you think of the destruction and the handicapped [[as in having limited manpower, equipment) firefighters that are tasked to respond.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20100907-wpms
    Eloquently put crumbled...very sad testimonial for Detroit...but true.

Wow...crumbled, I don't think anyone could have said it better. The Detroit most of us knew [[and loved) is beyond repair. I pray for the safety of all the firefighters [[in these days more than ever).

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    What lack of rainfall? July was one of the wettest on record!
    this is september, so take a peek at august. which comes after july.

This thread is now about nitpicking, and nobody is really talking about the topic, only who said what right or wrong. Forumthink.

lilpup Guest

Who was the absolute asshole journalist at the Mayor's press conference trying to make it all about how shitty the city was?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast