Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Why do people even listen to Jesse Jackson? Why do people give him power? How many years is he going to coast on his "rep"? Ugh!

Personally I think Jesse Jackson has lost a lot of his credibility as any sort of urban activist. For whatever reason he just seems to fail to connect with people now. Years ago I though Al Sharpton was the in-your-face preacher that just showed up for face time during tragedies, but at least he's showing up and offering some sense of comfort to the ones affected. Jesse Jackson just doesn't hav that sort of moxie any more.

His comments on what this community wants to do for its own good is prime example of how out of touch he is. I've seen many of these urban gardens spring up all around town. No one has laid claim to how Detroit is suddenly going to turn into the heartland of America; it's just good hard working honest folks doing something good for themselves in a very difficult economic downturn. It gets neighbors out. It keeps the areas looking respectable. And one of the side effects of this urban farming that I think we Detroiters have been lacking for a good while, is a sense of pride in our own communities.

Jesse Jackson didn't have to say anything about it at all. He's lost a fair amount of the respect I once had for the guy with statements like this.

I will ignore the Rev Jacksons remarks, Yet as he has spoken so will I.Urban farming/Gardenening in my opinion is a good thing for the city. What looks better, tires laying over a vacent lot or food growing on that lot?.As for large scale farming you need a large amount of land. It may be good for the city to rightsize, yet I can remember what happened 30 years ago with Poletown.No easy answers.

I would be far more concerned over the long-term viability of urban gardening and livestock keeping if the good Reverend would've understood it all and jumped on our merry bandwagon.

Likely that if it weren't for him, MLK might've had a better room without that 'view'. Jesse needs to go away. The community is never served when he shows on the scene.