Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    Sorry, I took Ravine's post lightly as was intended.

Kindergarten? Good lord. I was marched down Sorrento to West Chicago and made to stand in the line at Parker elementary. It was three months before Pearl Harbor. The room we entered had benches along the walls and windows, and I picked out a spot next to a little girl who looked pleasant. About an hour into that first day, she promptly threw up.

The next day, I remember thinking that I better sit on a spot opposite where I was on that first day, so I sat by the windows this time next to a pleasant looking little girl. About an hour later she threw up.

I never did like school very much.
    LMAO, Ray. Perfect

I remember crying a lot.

I do remember being felt up in the haunted house at Wonderland Mall by a boy who attended Catholic Central though.
    now you know why it was called Wonderland.

btw, I went to Catholic Central, maybe we have met before?

---

On the subject of nuns ... the poor girls, ... when they were allowed to shed their habits and dress in regular clothing. Jeeze, they looked like they all made those pantsuits from old drapes. Never before had there been such a clashing of colors and patterns.

Not so sure about the "nun" meaning, there are stories of nuns with some of the younger priests. I had the opportunity to meet a former nun who happened to be married to a former priest. They were not senior citizens either.

I remember a story about one of the sisters teaching at Our Lady River Rouge who had a hard time adapting to civilian dress. She left the convent one morning walking steps to the school dressed in her little blue jacket topping her white rayon slip - forgetting the skirt part. The old habits were all one dress, remember! Much laughter all around in the school and from the flustered sister.

With the recent demolition of Detroit's Newberry Elementary School, I am reminded of my
    first day of school, and my first exposure to the dreaded "urine trough."
    After my first official three hours of public schooling, our teacher, Miss
    DiMattia, declared that it was now "restroom time," and the boys should quietly
    line up, single file, on one side of the hallway, while the girls lined up on the other side.
    We then marched quickly down the cavernous halls to the restrooms.
    Newberry Elementary was a beautiful old brick building with a slate roof,
    ancient oak school desks with inkwells, and pendulum clocks that the teachers
    wound weekly. But to my five-year-old eyes, everything looked big, dark and
    scary. After a morning of coloring and story time I was finally calming down and
    getting used to my surroundings, but nothing could have prepared me for what I
    was about to see on the other side of the door marked "BOYS."
    It looked like a long, white kitchen sink with no faucets, mounted on
    the wall about two feet from the floor. I stared at the strange porcelain
    contraption along with my other male classmates, not quite knowing what to make
    of it. Then, without warning, my cloakroom partner pulled down his zipper,
    approached the sink and proceeded to relieve himself!
    Then another classmate stepped up and did the same thing!. And another! And
    another!
    A few hours earlier I had tears in my eyes, wondering why I had to leave my
    toys and my puppy, and now I'm in a room with a bunch of laughing, peeing boys,
    their private parts exposed for all to see!
    I couldn't go that day. The pressure was just too great. I eventually learned
    to use the trough without embarrassment and learned the unwritten rules of urine
    trough etiquette; look straight ahead, and don't cross the streams.
    Last edited by Ed Golick; September-07-10 at 02:05 PM. Reason: font problem

My first day in School was back in September of 1979. I went to Marquette Elementary School in Garden City, MI. My school teacher was Carol Shepard and Barb O'Neill. They were great teachers back then and now they still teaching at Burger Center for the Autistic in Garden City, MI. The world's largest full ASD school.
    Last edited by Danny; September-07-10 at 02:08 PM.

Default First Days of School.....

Kindergarten: Sept 1973 Marcy Elementary, East Side of Detroit on Sylvester between Concord and Helen near E.Grand Blvd. Pretty much went like this: "Hey get up and put your clothes on, you're going to school" Me: "Okay"

No traumatized parents, they had left for work already so me and my brother walked to school and the DPS teachers had started what would be a 43 day teachers strike. They told my brother "Theres no school today, take your brother back home."

We walked back to our grandparents house, did not go back until October 18th, we stayed at home and played for a month and a half.

Once we got started Kindegarten was awesome! our teacher Mrs. Jeanette Bussett [[Pronounced Boo-so) was young, very pretty [[Rocking Crystal Gayle/Cher hair) played piano [[I think it was the law for Kindergarten teachers) and read us stories.

We learned the wonders of paste, traffic lights, the "Jack and Jill" song and we made Donuts! The wooden building blocks were cool we would make castles, they would fall down and amazingly nobody broke any limbs.

Sept 1978: 5th Grade at Burton International: My Dad took me to school from the East Side of Detroit on the Grand Belt and the Dexter busses to school in the Cass Corridor, he took me to my class room and said "You know how to get home right?" I said "The opposite of the way I got here?" He said "Have a good day" and left.

Ravine, you have been such a dissapointment to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Golick View Post
    With the recent demolition of Detroit's Newberry Elementary School, I am reminded of my
    first day of school, and my first exposure to the dreaded "urine trough."
    After my first official three hours of public schooling, our teacher, Miss
    DiMattia, declared that it was now "restroom time," and the boys should quietly
    line up, single file, on one side of the hallway, while the girls lined up on the other side.
    We then marched quickly down the cavernous halls to the restrooms.
    Newberry Elementary was a beautiful old brick building with a slate roof,
    ancient oak school desks with inkwells, and pendulum clocks that the teachers
    wound weekly. But to my five-year-old eyes, everything looked big, dark and
    scary. After a morning of coloring and story time I was finally calming down and
    getting used to my surroundings, but nothing could have prepared me for what I
    was about to see on the other side of the door marked "BOYS."
    It looked like a long, white kitchen sink with no faucets, mounted on
    the wall about two feet from the floor. I stared at the strange porcelain
    contraption along with my other male classmates, not quite knowing what to make
    of it. Then, without warning, my cloakroom partner pulled down his zipper,
    approached the sink and proceeded to relieve himself!
    Then another classmate stepped up and did the same thing!. And another! And
    another!
    A few hours earlier I had tears in my eyes, wondering why I had to leave my
    toys and my puppy, and now I'm in a room with a bunch of laughing, peeing boys,
    their private parts exposed for all to see!
    I couldn't go that day. The pressure was just too great. I eventually learned
    to use the trough without embarrassment and learned the unwritten rules of urine
    trough etiquette; look straight ahead, and don't cross the streams.
    Oh, man, I did the same thing in 1944. We had the big vertical single urinals and no doors on the stalls. The female teacher was kind enough to explain to me how to use the urnial. All these guys letting fly and me with no place to hide.

Oh, these stories are priceless! More! More!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    I remember feeling uncomfortable with being decked out in a long-sleeved white shirt and a tie, and being glad as hell that I had an older brother who would be, except for class-time, accompanying me.
    "Immaculate Heart of Mary" nuns, my ass. We all knew that IHM stood for "I Hate Men."
    And, of course you all know why they are called "nuns."
    LOL I always wondered why the nuns were so much crueler to the boys. Yes, I was taught by IHM sisters.
    MY little brother was not so happy to be going to the same school as me. The principal always called him by my name and he paid for what I already got ruler slapped or ear pulled for.

You had to be there I guess. Religious Sisters go where they are sent by their superiors. Not all nuns have the aptitude for teaching. Just as not all hospital nurse nuns are suited for that job. My aunt is a nun [[not IHM). Had zero patience with children, including nieces/ nephews. Taught 1st grade for years. At several parishes. Parents would complain, and her order would transfer her to another school they staffed. Finally she was sent to work in a nursing home. Found her 'calling' was working with seniors, and was allowed to keep working there until she retired.

Back on topic. My 1st day of school was just as terrifying. The teacher [[nun) was abusive and did not really teach the class [[an aide did) Everyone was terrified of that nun [[maybe even the pastor and principal). She stayed at the school another 2-3 years until "they came to take her away" [[Alzheimer's advanced)

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger4me View Post
    Not so sure about the "nun" meaning, there are stories of nuns with some of the younger priests. I had the opportunity to meet a former nun who happened to be married to a former priest. They were not senior citizens either.

The word "nun" comes from Latin. In Latin, a monk was a "nunnus". The feminine form of "nunnus" is "nunna". This became the French "nonne" and moved into English from the Norman-French as "nun".

Conversely, the English word "monk" comes from the Greek "monachos" [[solitary) by way of the Old Anglo-Saxon "monuc".

In a box upstairs I have 8mm movie of me walking to school my first day. I was 4 in Sept of 55. I was tugging away from mom most of the way, I didn't want to seem like a sissy holding my mothers hand. When we got to school other kids were whining, crying, and screaming. I couldn't wait to get inside and get into the neat playground right outside our room Kindergarten had their own playground area.
    Miss Wyrod was a very slim dark exotic beauty...she could've given Sophia Loren a real run for her money. The following summer we all went to her wedding, it was the last year she taught. Like any good wife of that era, when a woman got married she would quit work and stay home.
    About 18 yrs later I ran into Ms. Wyrod at a wedding....cannot remember her married name. By then she was in her early 40's but wow....she was still looking good as ever.

One of these days I gotta figure out how to get those 8mm films digitized before they rot.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    In a box upstairs I have 8mm movie of me walking to school my first day. I was 4 in Sept of 55. I was tugging away from mom most of the way, I didn't want to seem like a sissy holding my mothers hand. When we got to school other kids were whining, crying, and screaming. I couldn't wait to get inside and get into the neat playground right outside our room Kindergarten had their own playground area.
    Miss Wyrod was a very slim dark exotic beauty...she could've given Sophia Loren a real run for her money. The following summer we all went to her wedding, it was the last year she taught. Like any good wife of that era, when a woman got married she would quit work and stay home.
    About 18 yrs later I ran into Ms. Wyrod at a wedding....cannot remember her married name. By then she was in her early 40's but wow....she was still looking good as ever.

One of these days I gotta figure out how to get those 8mm films digitized before they rot.
    http://troyvideo.com/

They do fantastic work. Last year, they transferred our family movies. I was pleased with the result.

My horrifying scholastic indoctrination began here at Montclair Annex in Denver. My homework that very first day was to learn from my parents how to tie my own shoes. The next day I was sent home to teach my parents how to tie them with two loops instead of just one. I thought my parents had flunked shoe-tying class but later realized they were just trying to make it all easier for me.

A few years ago [[1994?) I revisited that same old schoolhouse. Its fractured brickwork was then reinforced with giant diagonal steel bands. They were taking collections for repairs so I made a sizable contribution which coincidentally resulted in surprising the local motel maid with an equally large anonymous tip of free groceries! Thanks, King Soopers!

Glad to see the bands have since been removed.
    Last edited by Jimaz; September-07-10 at 10:42 PM.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    What year did you start K'garten there? My niece and nephew both went there in the 60's.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    What year did you start K'garten there? My niece and nephew both went there in the 60's.
    1966--I was four.

Frank was in k'garten in '65 and Ann in '67

I was an only child...and started kindergarten relatively young [[I JUST made the cutoff for turning 5 in December so was actually still 4 when I started kindergarten).

Like I said, an only child. Not much preparation for the concept of school, and no experiencing being outside of the home without family present. So when I was dropped off at school the first day I thought I was being abandoned...and was crying inconsolably. It was so disruptive they finally had to take me to the principal's office. Which didn't help matters. This same scenario got repeated for several subsequent days.

Ultimately my grandfather, who was driving me to school and dropping me off, had to start leaving his car parked outside the kindergarten window where I could see it, and walking home. As long as I could see that car there I was OK. I may have been afraid he would abandon me - but I KNEW he'd come back eventually for his car!!!!!

I'm not sure just how many days or weeks it took before I finally adapted.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Frank was in k'garten in '65 and Ann in '67
    Make that 1968...

No, 1967. Sorry...
    Last edited by LodgeDodger; September-08-10 at 10:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    http://troyvideo.com/

They do fantastic work. Last year, they transferred our family movies. I was pleased with the result.
    I could ask you a thousand questions but....
    Did you have 8 or super 8?
    How old were your movies?

Most of mine go back 50-72 years. The thought of handing them to someone always leaves me with pause for thought.

I looked at their prices, they seem very cheap compared to quotes I've looked at in earlier years. I've probably got about close to 3,000' of 8mm.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    I could ask you a thousand questions but....
    Did you have 8 or super 8?
    How old were your movies?

Most of mine go back 50-72 years. The thought of handing them to someone always leaves me with pause for thought.

I looked at their prices, they seem very cheap compared to quotes I've looked at in earlier years. I've probably got about close to 3,000' of 8mm.
    I believe we had both Eight and Super-Eight. Pop was a movie-making freak. I still have all of his equipment.

When cleaning my Mother's house, I discovered the box of films in the shed. Thank goodness, they were in metal cans! Our family's films were from the forties to the eighties. Troy Video does nice work. They're very good at what they do. I was worried about leaving such precious items with "strangers", but the owner was very understanding.

They were recommended to me by a co-worker.

The store is small, immaculately clean, and well-organized. They converted the entire box in a little over two weeks. The price was less than I'd imagined. I highly recommend them.

Ask me any questions you like. Don't worry about Troy Video. If they have some sort of problem with the film, they'll let you know.

Thanks Dodger...maybe I ought see about getting them in order and bringing them up the next time.
    How long before they were able to get your work done?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast