Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default Time on my hands

I had time to spend thinking about this city and our neighborhoods. So often I hear /read such negative things about this city. If I recall properly, Lowell put this site up as a proper forum for new ideas and positive thoughts/deeds regarding the city.

Bad things do happen here. I am not naive. It is my chosen home however. If people would invest into positives I would be thrilled. I have to admit that this forum is starting to sound like Detroit No.

So many people just congradulating themselves on how they escaped is becoming a dead bore. The burbs are fine, did that myself for a bit. Schools for my kids were an issue.

Just please, please, try to keep this forum up beat. "how do we fix it? how do we make it better?" That should be banner news and in the forefront of most posts!

This forum really was founded on "The Fabulous Ruins of Detroit". This site has illustrated, pictorally at least, those ruins and the resultant problems they present.

While it may be a forum that discusses the positive things in and around Detroit, the reality is that it also discusses Detroit and its many negatives, as the positives are a minority compared to the negatives.

Perhaps if the city were to change its broken ways, more positives would emerge, but to say anything else is a bit disingeuous at best.

As far as the "burbs" are concerned, most of those who have "fled" to the "burbs" have done so for a myriad of very valid reasons, so dismissing those folks and their reasons just brings the circle to a close in the never-ending, continuing argument. It seems that some people who have stuck it out in the city don't respect the suburbanites right to choose, just like themselves in staying, and are constantly bellyaching about their decision[[s) to leave, which just adds more fuel to the debate.

If you are bored, perhaps you should look elsewhere for enlightenment. Until the reality changes substantially, don't expect much to change.

Res

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    I had time to spend thinking about this city and our neighborhoods. So often I hear /read such negative things about this city. If I recall properly, Lowell put this site up as a proper forum for new ideas and positive thoughts/deeds regarding the city.

Bad things do happen here. I am not naive. It is my chosen home however. If people would invest into positives I would be thrilled. I have to admit that this forum is starting to sound like Detroit No.
    Res was spot on in his assessment, but here's my two cents for what it's worth.

You read negative things because negative things happen. So do positive ones, although you will never find a news story about a boy or girl that overcame poverty to go to college and succeed. Rare instances like the Georgia street garden, and other things, make the news.

If this forum was all about positives, it would be a bland and more than likely depopulated place. I know of a couple of forums that concentrate on the positives only, and are heavily moderated to keep them that way. You might seek them out. It would befit the polyannish, chest beating type of forum you wish.

The intro after you sign in here says [[paraphrasing) Detroit What went wrong? What can we do to help? [[more or less) Some follow these words, some not. People "invest" in positives all the time. But to just post happy thoughts is the antithesis of a sane human relationship.

So many people just congradulating themselves on how they escaped is becoming a dead bore. The burbs are fine, did that myself for a bit. Schools for my kids were an issue.

Just please, please, try to keep this forum up beat. "how do we fix it? how do we make it better?" That should be banner news and in the forefront of most posts!
    How many people actually post that? Not many that I've seen lately. Biggest problem that I've seen here is the omnipresent hipster db's that seem to think they have all the answers, but don't do squat about it. Or create more problems than it's worth. Or people that live in the city and can't stop congratulating themselves over the fact that they still live there.

Last time I looked, this forum was for the

Discussions with a focus on the fabulous Detroit - Windsor metropolis.

And it is. Warts and all. I'd get over it if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by PlymouthRes View Post
    This forum really was founded on "The Fabulous Ruins of Detroit". This site has illustrated, pictorally at least, those ruins and the resultant problems they present.
    Yes, we have to remember that "DetroitYES" came later. It isn't hard to remember though since most posters seem to relish in the negatives... and the pictorials still represent ruins in Detroit or even in farmland.

Interesting comments from all. As noted I have lived in the burbs for a period of time for personally compelling reasons too. No grudge against the burbs, it isn't like I am living in a high rise security vault in the city either.

I am not looking for back slaps and hi fives here. As I noted there are many problems that exist. Many pluses too.

It is only I wish people would posit solutions not insults.

Res, you are absolutely right. The whole thing started regarding our ruins. The management for Fort Wayne was turned over to the city to manage.

If it wasn't like people for you volunteering time, it would be a hugh disaster.

If I recall correctly it is or was under the management of the director of the historical museum.

The historic Moross House which was partially occupied by the Detroit Garden Center who functioned as free dossents got evicted. The donated historic pictures and furniture confiscated.

The city quite illegally sold the property to a private concern. They cited Fort Wayne as a big priority. Haven't seen them funnel much money your way [[Fort Wayne ) yet!

Does the city act dysfuntionally? Yep! Can something be done? Yep!

My city exists in the people, its supporters and neighborhoods, certainly not our politicians.

How about I say what I want to say and if you don't like it then don't read it. I am tired of glossing over the negative of Detroit. It also means that when something good happens it too should be stated. But pollyanna? Fuck that!

Ravine Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    How about I say what I want to say and if you don't like it then don't read it. I am tired of glossing over the negative of Detroit. It also means that when something good happens it too should be stated. But pollyanna? Fuck that!
    Well, GOAT, if we never agree on another thing, I can assure you that I am 100% with you on that statement.

DetroitDad Guest

Maybe if you have nothing nice to say..... then make it nice. Offer ideas and solutions to go with your criticism. We all know what is wrong with Detroit. It is in bad taste to constantly remind a mountain climber of the intimidating climbs that he is fast approaching.

It's not that many of us are trying to gloss over problems, it's just that we're sick of hearing people repeat themselves, especially if they are just reporting and not contributing.

Do you guys understand where we are coming from?

Ravine Guest

I'm going to give that question a "yes" answer because your totally ridiculous and truly offensive "Welcome to the Desert of the Real" post convinced me that I don't want to read any more explanations of where you're coming from. That post made "where you are coming from" awfully damn clear.
    While you, apparently, are all about "where you are coming from," some of us have been right here the entire time.