Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    They tried that - It was called S.T.R.E.S.S.
    Oh, please. It's actually possible to have an effective police force without resorting to the abusive tactics that the STRESS units employed.

Pretty much every other law enforcement agency in the Free World has managed to do it. Some day, the Detroit Police Department will be able to join those ranks.

Actually, they need a STRESS type unit [[without the inherent problems that unit had) to come down HARD on these a$$hats. Maybe they could put the fear into some of these "brave" individuals who just don't get it.

Res

Quote Originally Posted by ct_alum View Post
    O.K., you're right - Then they're just incompetent - Makes it better, right?.
    I never said it makes it better. We just need to direct our anger at the correct root cause.

The City Council and Mayor's Office have consistently looked at DPD as just another bill that they're asked to pay. They want its costs to be as low as possible so they can spend the rest of our money converting Harmonie Park into Paradise Valley or whatever the Idiot Idea of the Week is this time around.

The leadership of DPD - pretty much everyone from the level of commander and up - wants to waive charts and graphs around and come up with corny catch phrases to justify to the political higher-ups that we don't really need to have a police force that's sufficiently staffed for a city of Detroit's size nor do we really need any of the umpteen other things that a police department generally requires [[a central processing facility w/ medical services, sufficient police cars, etc.).

By doing this, the City Council and Mayor are able to continue spending money on their Idiot Idea of the Week. The command officers within DPD are, in turn, rewarded by being able to keep their jobs in spite of performance that would've gotten them fired from any other law enforcement agency in the country.

All of this leaves front line officers tasked to do an impossible job, businesses who are forced to leave the city, and residents who are forced to deal with the aftermath of the above three things.

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    Oh, please. It's actually possible to have an effective police force without resorting to the abusive tactics that the STRESS units employed.

Pretty much every other law enforcement agency in the Free World has managed to do it. Some day, the Detroit Police Department will be able to join those ranks.
    You misunderstood - I was in no way advocating the return of that unit. All it did was get a lot of people killed [[and Coleman Young elected Mayor) and the only stress was on the Officers.

Quote Originally Posted by PlymouthRes View Post
    Actually, they need a STRESS type unit [[without the inherent problems that unit had) to come down HARD on these a$$hats. Maybe they could put the fear into some of these "brave" individuals who just don't get it.

Res

I agree. To the fullest.I dont mind heavyhanded tactics as long as they are directed to the RIGHT targets, thugs and wanna be thugs....

Quote Originally Posted by Fnemecek View Post
    Except all those things usually do is alert the police when a robbery is in progress. If the police don't respond to catch the bad guys in the act, there's not a lot of point of having a security system.

Besides, what makes you think the guy doesn't already have an expensive security system?
    I refute none of this and I am also not speculating that the guy doesn't already have an expensive system. I'm challenging that forumers claim that a security system wouldn't be necessary in the suburbs. Quick[[er) response times by the police doesn't necessarily lessen the need for a security system.

You're right, you'd be foolish NOT to have an alarm and other security options in the suburbs... and I'd prefer steel doors on any home I live in no matter where...

But in many suburbs you don't see the big loops or razor and barbed wire, rounding off roofs, and fences and other extreme measures that are standard in the city right now...
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I refute none of this and I am also not speculating that the guy doesn't already have an expensive system. I'm challenging that forumers claim that a security system wouldn't be necessary in the suburbs. Quick[[er) response times by the police doesn't necessarily lessen the need for a security system.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-02-10 at 03:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    You're right, you'd be foolish not to have an alarm in the suburbs... and I'd prefer steel doors on any home I live in no matter where...

But in many suburbs you don't see the big loops or razor and barbed wire, rounding off roofs, and fences and other extreme measures that are standard in the city right now...
    That depends on the nature of the business. No insurance company will insure a business that does not go through the proper steps to secure the property, such as fencing, alarms, surveillance cameras, etc. This is true whether the business is located in Detroit proper or a suburb.

Speaking of insurance, I'm actually a bit surprised that the costs of insuring in Detroit versus Dearborn made the move of this person's business financially viable. Insurance costs are one of the most major hindrances to doing anything in the city...

9mile&seneca Guest

At least when they're breaking in his place they're leaving some old lady alone.

I am certain insurance requirements vary, they'd have to... But I've not seen giant maxi-correctional facility razor wire loops along the roofs of liquor stores, barber shops or churches in other burbs often. Perhaps that's coming soon.

It's pretty unsightly to see all the 'penitentiary' issue style security that you see in Detroit. But if you've got to have it, have it. Better than being robbed into bankruptcy.
    Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    That depends on the nature of the business. No insurance company will insure a business that does not go through the proper steps to secure the property, such as fencing, alarms, surveillance cameras, etc. This is true whether the business is located in Detroit proper or a suburb.

Speaking of insurance, I'm actually a bit surprised that the costs of insuring in Detroit versus Dearborn made the move of this person's business financially viable. Insurance costs are one of the most major hindrances to doing anything in the city...

Ravine Guest

Maybe he should re-locate to another large American city with a depressed economy. I'm sure this shit wouldn't happen anywhere but here.

This buisness owner seems a little questionable to me. I'm sure his insurance will cover most of his loss. I was wondering what parts were taken totaling $30,000, and the details of the supposed attempted arson. It sounds like a possible Jew fire...

I dont trust a Detroit buisness owner so easily after one story. Could be why he has no security because it would only catch him....

"It sounds like a possible Jew fire..."

WTF does this mean? I hope it isn't what I think it is!

Res

Just double the fun... happening there and here. Detroit is particularly tripped out as so much corruption and crime was/ is justified.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Maybe he should re-locate to another large American city with a depressed economy. I'm sure this shit wouldn't happen anywhere but here.
    Last edited by Zacha341; September-02-10 at 11:06 PM.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PlymouthRes View Post
    "It sounds like a possible Jew fire..."

WTF does this mean? I hope it isn't what I think it is!

Res
    I think we have ourselves a cockpuncher...

Much of what's been said needs to be fixed on the state level. I hope the new governor has a clue on how to help Detroit. Unless we have a sympathetic governor, it will be a lot harder to attract business. Michigan needs to find another way to generate income besides taxes and tourism, like marine energy.

Still, there's enough responsibility to be borne by all. It's a shame to see what's become of a once business-friendly city. Detroit used to be the city of small businesses, particularly family-run businesses. They were welcome here. There was money to be made and Detroit was happy you came to make it. One look at an old city directory will have you amazed.
    Last edited by kathy2trips; September-03-10 at 12:18 AM.

9mile&seneca Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    This buisness owner seems a little questionable to me. I'm sure his insurance will cover most of his loss. I was wondering what parts were taken totaling $30,000, and the details of the supposed attempted arson. It sounds like a possible Jew fire...

I dont trust a Detroit buisness owner so easily after one story. Could be why he has no security because it would only catch him....
    Somebody's got some splainin' to do

The term Jew fire is slang for a fire deliberately set to collect insurance money. It was a playful joke. Im am not Anti-Semetic, my great grandmother was a Jewish orphan from NYC. She lived to be a centenialist in the state of Michigan where she spent the majority of her life.

For some reason, I always thought lightning was involved.

Some of my best friends are Jewish.

It usually wasn't their fault.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2