Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Jefferson - Let's Be Fair

Jefferson, let's be fair, or "unbiased" to use one of your terms.

You refer to conservative talk radio fans as "sheep", who "can't think for themselves and will believe anything someone tells them". Obviously you can't lump all conservative radio listeners into this category and not give them the ability to critically think about issues and reach their own conclusions.

In all fairness, you must also have a similar category for progressive radio fans as well. They must also not have the ability to think for themselves and blindly follow the preaching of Al Franken and his ilk.

To shortchange the average person out there who listens to talk radio, liberal or conservative, and not give them the ability to think freely about issues is definitely shortchanging them. Next you'll be saying that progressive radio knows what's best for everyone's self-interest and expect all listeners to blindly follow and agree with it's content.

Don't shortchange the average person's ability to think freely and make choices. We all make free choices every day. In this case, the average person has freely chosen to listen to conservative talk radio in greater numbers than liberal programming. It's democracy in action in it's purest form. Everyone has a radio dial with which they can change their daily programming, and yet they elect not to do so.

Want to make conservative programming even more popular that it is today? Make it more scarce than it is today by implementing regulations limiting or elminating it. You can't argue with free choice.

Quote Originally Posted by jefferson78 View Post
    I've tried to listed to the right-wing babble on WJR but most of the time I would rather someone drive an icepick in my ear than listen to Rush, Hannity, Beckman etc.
    Rush is a master at that. His whole "Doctor of Democracy, America's Anchorman, America's Truth Detector, All Knowing All-Seeing Maharushi, Harmless Little Fuzzball, etc.) shtick is based on having liberals listen to his program so that they can stab their eyes out with ice picks every time he says one of those things. It drives up his ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by FredGarvin View Post
    Jefferson, let's be fair, or "unbiased" to use one of your terms.

You refer to conservative talk radio fans as "sheep", who "can't think for themselves and will believe anything someone tells them". Obviously you can't lump all conservative radio listeners into this category and not give them the ability to critically think about issues and reach their own conclusions.

In all fairness, you must also have a similar category for progressive radio fans as well. They must also not have the ability to think for themselves and blindly follow the preaching of Al Franken and his ilk.

To shortchange the average person out there who listens to talk radio, liberal or conservative, and not give them the ability to think freely about issues is definitely shortchanging them. Next you'll be saying that progressive radio knows what's best for everyone's self-interest and expect all listeners to blindly follow and agree with it's content.

Don't shortchange the average person's ability to think freely and make choices. We all make free choices every day. In this case, the average person has freely chosen to listen to conservative talk radio in greater numbers than liberal programming. It's democracy in action in it's purest form. Everyone has a radio dial with which they can change their daily programming, and yet they elect not to do so.

Want to make conservative programming even more popular that it is today? Make it more scarce than it is today by implementing regulations limiting or eliminating it. You can't argue with free choice.
    I agree with all of this. I do think it is easy to fall into the trap of talking about conservative talk radio hosts and really mean to refer to the demagogues of all stripes since Rush, Hannity, Beck and so on are so much more successful and in the public consciousness than others - not everyone makes it a habit to issue disclaimers or qualifications with their posts. That's exactly what happened to me in that first post, where I somehow asserted that there was an absence of this claptrap from the left. But in terms of explicit statements, you're certainly right.

Wiping these guys off the air via fiat is also not an approach that is going to ultimately be successful. The underlying issues have to actually be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Rush is a master at that. His whole "Doctor of Democracy, America's Anchorman, America's Truth Detector, All Knowing All-Seeing Maharushi, Harmless Little Fuzzball, etc.) shtick is based on having liberals listen to his program so that they can stab their eyes out with ice picks every time he says one of those things. It drives up his ratings.
    That's also kind of clear from his transcript. He exploits an us-vs-them mentality.
    Last edited by fryar; September-01-10 at 01:45 PM.

When you run around telling people your a ditto-head, is it any wonder why others draw the conclusion that you can't think for yourself?

Franken must have done something right, since he is now known as Sen. Franken and actually works on American policy.

Has it occured to anyone that perhaps the reason for the success of Rush et al is due to the content of the programming, and not the business model? As evidence I point to the success of Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck, relative newcomers to the talk radio format when compared to Rush, yet have claimed number 2 and 3 slots in terms of number of listeners.
    In terms of wittiness, I think those listeners would prefer Stephen Colbert over all three unless, maybe, they're incapable of comprehending the laughing stock they've made of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post

Franken must have done something right, since he is now known as Sen. Franken and actually works on American policy.

i'm sure you were equally impressed with the achievements of Jesse Ventura.....

Default Fryar - We Agree!

Fryar, we're in agreement that "wiping these guys off the air by fiat"; i.e. The Fairness Doctrine is not going to be ultimately successful. As I stated, by making conservative talk radio less plentiful, you only make it more valuable and more sought after.

Also, I appreciate your clarification on the disclaimer.

Detroitej72 - it's debateable whether moving from talk radio to a Senator [[especially these days) is actually a promotion....lol. Also thanks for another name to add to the list of name calling coming my way. The tally so far:

"blind" = 1
    "dittohead" = 1

I've not once called myself a Dittohead, and I challenge you to find any evidence that I have. This is a typical liberal tactic - namecalling and labeling either directly or by inference, when faced with the truth. Kinda like "oh yea, we'll you're a poo poo head"....lol
    Last edited by FredGarvin; September-01-10 at 08:00 PM.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    In terms of wittiness, I think those listeners would prefer Stephen Colbert over all three unless, maybe, they're incapable of comprehending the laughing stock they've made of themselves.
    They're only "laughingstocks" to left wing lunatics.

You probably wouldn't understand but the typical far left kooks are looked at with a mixture of bemusement and pity by many conservatives. The word dou@chebag usually comes to mind when pondering liberals.

DC4, in your wildest dreams you can't imagine how hilarious that statement is to us "liberals".

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by oldredfordette View Post
    DC4, in your wildest dreams you can't imagine how hilarious that statement is to us "liberals".
    That is along the lines of the reaction that I expected.

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    The word dou@chebag usually comes to mind when pondering liberals.
    Uh-oh. Pushing the envelope pretty hard on that namecalling rule. Hardly qualifies as witty though.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    Uh-oh. Pushing the envelope pretty hard on that namecalling rule. Hardly qualifies as witty though.
    Who the heck cares about "witty"? This isn't about comedy, it is about reality.

Telecom Act of 1996. 'nough said.

I really enjoy Thom Hartmann's show. His political perspectives are grounded in historical fact. He is probably the fairest progressive host I've heard. He routinely starts shows with debates from heavy-weights from the other side. He is calm, logical, and doesn't tend to give into shouting contests. His business savvy, writing abilities, general curiosity to learn everything make him a true modern Renaissance man. [[a semi-local one too, from Lansing)

I can always count on being entertained and educated on weekday afternoons thanks to Mr. Hartmann. Thank God for 1310 AM and Thom for an alternative on the dial. I know there are many other fans out there like me and Detroitej72.

I've not once called myself a Dittohead, and I challenge you to find any evidence that I have. This is a typical liberal tactic - namecalling and labeling either directly or by inference, when faced with the truth. Kinda like "oh yea, we'll you're a poo poo head"....lol
    I never said you call yourself one. I was speaking in general about all the sheep who run around proclaiming that they are part of the ditto-head nation. I'm not sure if old Rushy Boy still gives out those t-shirts these days, since he is cutting cost due to being part of that elite 5% that has to pay more in taxes.

i miss Mark Scott

excelcior

Quote Originally Posted by everglade carl View Post
    I really enjoy Thom Hartmann's show. His political perspectives are grounded in historical fact. He is probably the fairest progressive host I've heard. He routinely starts shows with debates from heavy-weights from the other side. He is calm, logical, and doesn't tend to give into shouting contests. His business savvy, writing abilities, general curiosity to learn everything make him a true modern Renaissance man. [[a semi-local one too, from Lansing)

I can always count on being entertained and educated on weekday afternoons thanks to Mr. Hartmann. Thank God for 1310 AM and Thom for an alternative on the dial. I know there are many other fans out there like me and Detroitej72.
    Thom,

Is one of best talk show hosts on the air of any stripe, and I think he ranks number one among progressive talk show hosts. Very smart guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I never said you call yourself one. I was speaking in general about all the sheep who run around proclaiming that they are part of the ditto-head nation. I'm not sure if old Rushy Boy still gives out those t-shirts these days, since he is cutting cost due to being part of that elite 5% that has to pay more in taxes.
    "Ditto Heads" was an insult hurled at the Limbaugh listeners. As is often the case, they took the insult and turned it into a [[for them) badge of honor much like "sans cullottes" or "dogface soldier".

[quote=Detroitej72;177868]When you run around telling people your a ditto-head, is it any wonder why others draw the conclusion that you can't think for yourself?

Detroitej72, it sure sounds like you're accusing me of being a Dittohead you reference one of my quotes and use terms like "YOU run around telling people you're a Dittohead", and "YOU can't think for yourself".

Be clear, use the terms "they and them". I'm sure you want people to know what you meant. However, maybe because namecalling is 2nd nature to you when all, else fails, it's a bad habit to break to not single out an individual and make them part of a larger class.

Finally, I'm going to bow out of this discussion from here on out. This thread was originally about local progressive radio, and it has morphed into an ideological discussion and strayed from its original intent. And yes, I'm as guilty as anyone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3