Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pushtina View Post
    Yes, I'm talking about the music. Maybe I take that shit seriously, but like I said earlier, he uses being from Detroit to sell an image. He wants to be part of the great Detroit musical legacy, as well as sell a hard image. I don't really care that he or anyone else lives in the suburbs and casually refers to it as living in Detroit. I lived in the suburbs for a time and did the same thing. My original point is that he isn't from Detroit, his music doesn't sound like it's from Detroit, but he want his celebrity peers/fans to respect him for it anyways. That's bullshit.

So, where's the big plus, cause this bigot imbecile just doesn't get it.
    How does music 'sound' like it's from Detroit? Does it sound automotive or like it's on a river? Or do you mean that it doesn't sound like Motown?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    How does music 'sound' like it's from Detroit? Does it sound automotive or like it's on a river? Or do you mean that it doesn't sound like Motown?
    I wish I could put it in words.

All I can say is that yeah, Motown got it. George Clinton got it. Yusef Lateef got it. Mitch Ryder got it. The MC5 got it. Mick Collins got it. Derrick May got it. Jack White got it. And yes, even Eminem got it.

All I can say is that yeah, Motown got it. George Clinton got it. Yusef Lateef got it. Mitch Ryder got it. The MC5 got it. Mick Collins got it. Derrick May got it. Jack White got it. And yes, even Eminem got it.
    So, basically, what you're saying is you don't like Kid Rock. That's fine, you don't have to, but it doesn't mean that other people can't and that they can't appreciate the fact that he loves Detroit even though he wasn't born in the city proper.

That sounds pretty subjective to me. Detroit has ALWAYS been a musically diverse city. So that is either your opinion or a sincerce dislike for Kid Rock. A little history lesson.....KR has been in the Rap Game since the 80's rubbin shoulders with people like one Sean Carter, [[ Jay Z), Nas, and other current and past hip hop artists., so I will say thet he has definately earned his stripes and is a legitimate artist.

Bob Seger was born in Dearborn, moved to Ann Arbor, and later Waterford and doesn't live in the city limits now. Mitch Ryder is from Hamtramck and doesn't live in the city limits now. Mick Collins lives in Brooklyn. Derrick May is from Belleville, not sure where he lives now. MC5 is from Lincoln Park and lived in Detroit before moving to Ann Arbor. Wayne Kramer lives in LA now, not sure about the rest of em. I'm fairly certain Eminem, George Clinton and Yusef Lateef don't live in the city limits. Jack White dissed Detroit before moving to the plastic soul sucking place that is Nashville. I'm not sure what your point is. I'm not crazy about Kid Rock's music either, but at least he doesn't have the negative attitude Mr. White regularly displays.

Who gives a flying fart?

Quote Originally Posted by princealbert View Post
    Bob Seger was born in Dearborn, moved to Ann Arbor, and later Waterford and doesn't live in the city limits now. Mitch Ryder is from Hamtramck and doesn't live in the city limits now. Mick Collins lives in Brooklyn. Derrick May is from Belleville, not sure where he lives now. MC5 is from Lincoln Park and lived in Detroit before moving to Ann Arbor. Wayne Kramer lives in LA now, not sure about the rest of em. I'm fairly certain Eminem, George Clinton and Yusef Lateef don't live in the city limits. Jack White dissed Detroit before moving to the plastic soul sucking place that is Nashville. I'm not sure what your point is. I'm not crazy about Kid Rock's music either, but at least he doesn't have the negative attitude Mr. White regularly displays.
    He asked me what I meant by it sounds like it's from Detroit.

Pushtina, it sounds like you were one of his employees or road crew that got fired for stealing amps or some shit.

He asked me what I meant by it sounds like it's from Detroit.
    Although Kid's music doesn't resonate with you or me, his appeal to music fans in this area is undeniable. I would say his sound is part of the "Detroit Sound" like it or not.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Pushtina, it sounds like you were one of his employees or road crew that got fired for stealing amps or some shit.
    That one made me laugh out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    If you meant money, then neither term was correct.
    Cachet is a 'certain something'; a mark of quality or distinction.
    Cache is short term storage
    Thanks for keeping it light, jcole. But since you're being such a nitpicker [[a person who is excessively concerned with or critical of inconsequential details), look up homophone. Geez, all this fuss over a simple "t".

checkraisej Guest

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Thanks for keeping it light, jcole. But since you're being such a nitpicker [[a person who is excessively concerned with or critical of inconsequential details), look up homophone. Geez, all this fuss over a simple "t".
    And you could have just said "You're right, thanks for the correction", and it would be over, and you could both shut the fuck up about it.

Whoever the hell started this thread, you're welcome to your opinion. Apparently nobody else agrees with you, though.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    It's about as much a part of Metro Detroit as Brighton, Ypsilanti or New Baltimore.
    You forgot Windsor.

Yes this is just another "not from Detroit proper" threads. WHO CARES where the guy is from. He obviously supports his home town of the DETROIT METRO AREA!
    Like it or not that is how it is around here. This entire area supports itself regardless of what the peoples mail says across the street. Were all Detroiters!

I've liked Bob Seger for 40 years but if it's true he was born in Dearborn and not Detroit [[as he says) then I'm switching my loyalties to Justin Bieber. Oh wait, he was actually born in London, Ontario and just grew up down the road in Stratford. Is nothing sacred?

LodgeDodger Guest

The details are hardly inconsequential.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    I still want him to do an all-rap album again.. alas, he still wants to be Bob Seger...
    Don't know anything about this guy or what he does, but rap sucks. ALL rap. Pure garbage. Period.

I don't see anyone getting upset at these commercials touting things made/grown in Michigan with Steve Yzerman saying "pure michigan" or something like that. He's not from the state, he's not from the city, he's not even from America, but he sure can bring money to it and most people love him for it.
    I say who cares, let him bring you money. Who complains about getting money?

401don....you just ruined my day. I had no clue that little turd was a fellow countryman. I hang my head in shame...........

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Don't know anything about this guy or what he does, but rap sucks. ALL rap. Pure garbage. Period.

Older stuff is good. Today the majority of it just goes on about money, cars, and women. There's 80 guys on the same stage, everyone of them gets a mic. There's alot of good beats still in today's rap, but the lyrics and the message for the most part are meaningless.

Maybe Kid should promote Romeo in his video's from here on out, And let the true talent coming out of the "D" rep. the city!

TBaby, keeping it real!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aktLRiWXfqg

Older stuff is good. Today the majority of it just goes on about money, cars, and women. There's 80 guys on the same stage, everyone of them gets a mic. There's alot of good beats still in today's rap,....
    No, it's all garbage. Always has been.

In his song, "Devil Without a Cause", there's this verse:

"I went from St Clair Shores and drink specials at Winners, to New York City and seven hundred dollar dinners."

Technically, the bar "Winners" is in Clinton Township. Man, this guy needs to take a geography class!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    The details are hardly inconsequential.
    so you've never made a typo before?

what is inconsequential, is that the misspelled word had very little to do with the point of the comment i made. you don't care for the comment? fine. bring it on. but let's leave typos out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    No, it's all garbage. Always has been.

lol....alright, I can see that compared to things like classic rock or blues and jazz. But I stand by my statement that the beats are good. There is talent in that aspect of it.

DetroitPole Guest

Anybody else appreciate the irony that when Kid Rock bought the clothing label Made in Detroit, he pulled it out of the city and relocated in Clarkston? What -- Made in Clarkston doesn't have enough cache?
    I like how everyone ignores this point. I guess since EVERYTHING is apparently Detroit, it doesn't matter.

I wonder if L. Brooks Patterson would consider that "poaching" or just good hearty capitalism.

It is great to know that if I move to Memphis MI or Armada I still live in Detroit

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast