Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Someone quickly convince me that Option A is the best. I had my mind set on Option B due to the development that will likely come from having more than 2 stops in all of midtown, but now I'm starting to think Option A is better. Since my g/f will undoubtedly vote the same as me, your persuasion will actually be affecting 2 votes.
    This is highly dependent on your preference for a system that you can efficiently use to commute regionally or a system that has less walking once you've driven down and parked next to it. There is nothing that prohibits you from riding Option A and transferring to a local bus, getting a cab, riding your bike or walking at the most a 1/2 mile to your final destination.

Quote Originally Posted by BrushStart View Post
    Someone quickly convince me that Option A is the best. I had my mind set on Option B due to the development that will likely come from having more than 2 stops in all of midtown, but now I'm starting to think Option A is better. Since my g/f will undoubtedly vote the same as me, your persuasion will actually be affecting 2 votes.
    Development is also highly dependent upon the effectiveness of said transit system. The People Mover didn't start a building boom downtown even though each station is a stone's throw from each other.

Thanks for the input Russix, very good points.

The main importance of A over B is that the the street railway would be in the middle of Woodward and thus, have a more dedicated right-of-way. As has been stated over 9000 times before, there is too much of buses crossing over and stopping, cars double-parking, etc that would conflict with the light rail trains.

If they build in the median, they can always add more stations if that's what you're concerned about. However, once the tracks are in the pavement, it's permanent. They may as well build the better alignment. I'm so much more confident in the efficiency of A over B, and would go as far as saying that A with all of the stops of B would be faster than the alignment of B. Anyway, if you have the time, read this and previous threads. There has been much good discussion.

B is considered safer for users and easier to make the platforms needed for ADA compliant transit system. Like it or not folks, we need to consider the needs of all Detroiters when building a system.

A would no doubt be better for aesthtetics and operations.

I am waiting to review the EIS prior to selecting anything.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; September-14-10 at 09:33 AM.

Default Took a hybrid approach

Well, I ended up saying that I would prefer Option B because I think having more than 2 stops in midtown is important for development, but with the condition that the line run down the center and the stops be in the median. Otherwise, I want Option A. I picked Option 1 for downtown.

Now that the "voting" is over, it will be interesting to see what falls out of this process. I wonder when will be the next time we officially hear anything about this.

Having participated in governmental things where public input is required, I have to confess a little skepticism - it seems to me that many times, the planners have already made up their minds, and the public input is a mere formalism, dismissed as soon as the doors have closed at the end of the hearing. But perhaps this will be truly inclusive.

Of course, various people who have provided input will no doubt have selected every one of the possible combinations of options, so the reasoning people give may be more important than any mere counting of how many people chose this-or-that option.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3