Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

At the Woodward Light Rail project site, I also submitted comments to the folks in charge. I expressed my strong preference for the light rail to be running in the middle of Woodward. It's clear why median-running is better than curbside. When I was returning from the morning session of the recent project meeting, I saw first-hand what would slow down the trains: There was a police car parked where the trains would run if curbside. Unlike a bus, the trains can't go around.

During the public comments part of the meeting, it was about 50/50 people expressing their preferences of median vs. curbside. I was quite surprised. There were a few comments regarding safety. I think as long as there are crosswalks and lights at each station, crossing the street won't be a problem. Also, say you're going from the 7 Mile station down to Comerica Park. You would have to cross the street anyway, and double the lanes!

Perhaps off topic, but what exactly is the plan for getting around campus martius and Woodward between GCP and Campus martius. It's much narrower there.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Perhaps off topic, but what exactly is the plan for getting around campus martius and Woodward between GCP and Campus martius. It's much narrower there.
    There are three options Downtown - one that goes straight down Woodward and two that branch off to Washington Blvd and do a loop back. I'm a bit torn on the downtown alignment. In an ideal world, it would be great if the line went underground in the CBD. [[Still in an ideal world) Lines on other major spokes like Gratiot, Michigan Avenue and Grand River would terminate at an underground hub around Campus Martius. Unfortunately, that would cost a boatload of money.

The Woodward alignment in Downtown supposedly will co-mingle in traffic. I know it would cost more money than just adding rails and overhead wires, but to keep the trains running at least in semi-dedicated lanes, they could widen Woodward a lane in each direction, have the trains run in the centre, stop at Campus Martius and then in the grassy median south of CM.

With Washington Blvd alignment options, the trains would most likely run in the median [[dedicated lanes) until Congress and Larned. If you look at the pictures, it shows stops like a block away from each other though.

I'd have to go with the straight Woodward CBD alignment. There's less traffic, turns and stops to deal with. Also, while the People Mover does a great job of transporting people, it travels on the outskirts downtown. The PM Cadillac Centre stop is close, but it would be nice to have some rapid transit that drops passengers off directly at Campus Martius.

The people in this functioning, bustling downtown seemed to be able to do it, and there's a lot more of them than I ever see in downtown Detroit on a workday.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/7136

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    The people in this functioning, bustling downtown seemed to be able to do it, and there's a lot more of them than I ever see in downtown Detroit on a workday.

http://www.shorpy.com/node/7136
    I don't see any that look like me though.

I don't see any who look like anybody--everybody has a hat and their faces are shaded and indistinguishable.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I don't see any who look like anybody--everybody has a hat and their faces are shaded and indistinguishable.
    I tend to wear a hat and have a fairly indistinguishable face. I meant that there is nobody morbidly obese!

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    Can you please elaborate on why people who "look like me" is important to this discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by Russix View Post
    Can you please elaborate on why people who "look like me" is important to this discussion?
    i believe jtf is making a humorous reference to a previous thread about the shorpy 1917 pic. iirc, all was going fine when someone threw in that race-grenade of no one looks like me.

----
    I believe the issue of which lane has been settled by other communities. It goes in the first lane of travel and yes it will be a pain in the ass for people parking, for trucks making deliveries, etc. In time folks will learn to deal with it.

The fee collection should happen at kiosks where one buys a rider-pass for x,y,or z dollars. Once you board the train you insert your rider-pass into a card reader.

This is standard proceedure around the world. No need to get all double-thinky about it.