Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default Civil Defense in Detroit

One of my hobbies is of Civil Defense in Michigan from the late 1940's thru to the 1980's. With most of my focus on Detroit. I've toured the Civil Defense building in Palmer park. I've photographed many of the old yellow sirens and fallout shelters.
    But one of the one items that for the past 3 years of searching I cannot find a detroit Fallout Shelter map. It may have been called a Community Shelter Plan, or something about with the Fallout Shelter sign on it. There would've been 1000's handed out in the 1960's. I understand that this may be a far out kinda topic, But I figured I'd post the question to see if anyone can help.

For those of you that may not know or remember the signs, an example is shown below
    Attachment 940

Attachment 941

Attachment 942

Attachment 943

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3401/...5db1c64445.jpg
    Last edited by Lowell; May-06-09 at 08:23 AM.

Somewere which means "still in parents basement". I should have a Fallout Shelter book with the CD logo on. But with me and getting stuff done you will most likely have found what you are looking for.
    I hear stories from the custodians I work with every once in a while about the stuff that was stockpiled in the shelters.

We had a neighbor who "sneaked" a fallout shelter beneath his garage, next to his inground pool in the neighborhood where I grew up. Poor guy had no idea that everyone knew about it. His teenaged daughters would use it as a party room when mom and dad were gone for their numerous weekend trips.

Does anyone remember the Nike Missiles around Detroit?
    Last edited by Bobl; May-03-09 at 12:42 PM.

I remember that Palmer Park civil defense building well, CD. I lived in the PP general area for over 20 years as a kid and young adult.

Wasn't the Nike site was downriver, somewhere around Trenton?

I recall my mom talking about Nike missiles at Heilmann park on 7 mile [[Moross) just east of Hayes.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I remember that Palmer Park civil defense building well, CD. I lived in the PP general area for over 20 years as a kid and young adult.

Wasn't the Nike site was downriver, somewhere around Trenton?
    There were lots of Nike sites around detroit.
    16 around and in Detroit

Site ID Geographic Location
    D-06 Utica
    D-14 Selfridge ANG Base
    D-15DC Selfridge ANG Base
    D-16 Selfridge ANG Base
    D-17 Algonac/Marine City
    D-23 Detroit City Airport - Detroit
    D-26 Belle Isle - Detroit
    D-51 Grosse Ile
    D-54 Riverview/Wyandotte
    D-57 Newport
    D-58 Carleton
    D-61 Detroit Metro Airport
    D-69 Rouge Park - Detroit
    D-86 Franklin/Bingham
    D-87 Commerce/Union Lake
    D-97 Auburn Hills

Many of these sites are wiped clean. Some still have parts still there.
    I've driven by the Newport site, and a bunch of buildings and concrete things are there. If you drive by Selfridge, you can see the some of the launcher pits on South River road.
    The Auburn Hills site it at the northeast corner of where I-75 and M-59 meet. Oakland county fire school is built right on top of that site. all that's left there is some old school barbed wire fencing.

http://nikehercules.tripod.com/sitemenu.html website has links to old aerial photo's of the sites
    Last edited by M CD M; May-03-09 at 08:28 PM.

Take a look a the Civil Defense Fallout Shelter category in waymarking.com.

The category has over 300 waymarks, each with a description, GPS coordinates, and a photo.

I don't know how they handled it in the suburban schools, but in Detroit, when I was in elementary school in the 50's and early 60's, when we heard the 10 bells, we grabbed our cardboard and headed down to the basement. I hated having to duck under all those low pipes, and I'm sure the teachers hated it even more. Sitting on the cold cement, and then they would turn off the lights for a few seconds. Talk about dark! Anyone attend DPS high school, such as Denby, in the 50's or 60's? Where did the students go for "air raid" drills? The Auditorium? Hallways? Basement? I don't think the basement was accessible enough to get 2700 students down there quickly.