Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

If you don't mind me trying to interpret your original post, English, in defense, he, as well as myself, believes that the comparison to a great sports player is in talent, not the popularity. If the DSO musicians were as popular as sports figures, this would not be an issue. No one would debate that until a lead clarinetest made $11 M a year, it's not even on the table.

The similarity between a great classical player and great athlete is that both rely on a mixture of natural talent, drive, and frankly luck. I know many great players who aren't in the DSO, but are of quality. Making the audition with the DSO is like getting on Red Wings. There is also the comparison that you are in a high pressure situation where you are only examined more for the mistakes you make instead of your consistency as a good player. You have to perform out there, EVERY performance, to keep up with the some of the hard repertoire that is presented.

Even if you don't care for classical music, to visit Orchestra Hall and experience the lavish surroundings, history, and great acoustics; it is worth a $15 rush ticket. No one expects you to regularly attend, but you could go once or twice a year, or even for just a first time.

If you have kids they routinely offer concerts aimed towards them, as well as holiday events, and concertos featuring some of the best touring soloists to play in front of the orchestra and dazzle you with their brilliance. You don't have to know a C from a D or have prior listening experience to be caught up in the emotion. If you're dating or married, it is a great night out to follow a nice dinner; I have scored many points over the years with DSO concerts if you know what I mean. Got out of the dog-house too.

Even if you border-line HATE classical music, it's nice to have pride in something great in Detroit. We have something that we can brag about not only to the rest of the US, but the world. In these times, to have. Hell, I don't care that much for the Red Wings, but I love the fact that they have been a dominating team over the past years. Not to rub it in other cities faces, but like the DSO, they built team with superstar lead players accompanied by dependable, consistent teammates; ones who perform at the highest level. Even if you don't like the music, you can appreciate hard work and brilliance. The DSO is brilliant; yes, they are that good.

Put your coat and tie on one night, dress up for the lady, pitch for some decent grub, and take in the sights and sounds of it. Round it off with a drink after the concert, and you'll have a night you won't forget. Your attendance has benefits for you too; you're not just handing them a check.

Facts seem short in this discussion.

See here for an approximation of symphony musician wages in US cities....

Looks to me like the DSO guys and gals are paid about right for their stature. Just a question of whether we can afford them, or move to Tier B.

Would like to see how other cities in US pay for their musicians. We've been lucky to have major corporate funding in the past. May return in future -- no doubt what the musicians think. Cut now, but pay later offer.

See Salt Lake City's Zoo, Arts, and Parks sales tax of 1/10 of 1%. Why not pay for the buildings for Michigan Opera, the DSO, the DIA, regional libraries, Meadowbrook [[returned to DSO)? Let the salaries be earned through tickets and fundraising.

Kinda like roads. We don't ask GM or Compuware to build the road to move their goods. They just pay for the truck and driver.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by scuola View Post
    They make over $100,000? To quote our President Obama: "At a certain point, you've made enough." It's time to "Spread the wealth around." Us poor folks would love to be paid $75,000 to live the life of a musician traveling around the globe playing music that you love.
    Most of the tv newsreaders in this town make more than $100,000. Some make over a million. Would rather see them replaced with lower paid help and have the stations help support the arts in this town. The arts don't even get coverage on the news unless it's for misfortune.

I'm pro-union and pro-DSO, but the fact is very few people would care if the DSO went away. Unlike other strikes [[newspapers, sports, UAW), it's not like DSO's management is getting rich at the musicians' expenses. The money just isn't there.

As for the TV stations paying their talent less to support the arts, there is a strong connection between talented, high-paid newsroom talent and ratings and income.

lilpup Guest

Nah, I don't think that many people would really miss tv newscasts if they were cut back or went away.

Many of those who hate classical music like the idea of the DSO, I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Many of those who hate classical music like the idea of the DSO, I would think.
    Personally I hate classical music, but it is a nice thing for a city to have a major symphony. I don't contribute to the DSO and would not be impacted if it went belly up, but I think it would be a shame if it happened and another image problem for Detroit.

The reality is that classical music has a small audience and times are bad for most any non-profit entity these days. I am unable to contribute to my favorite local causes as much as in the past, I would think that many other people are also having to curtail or stop charitable contributions.

I don't know what the answer is, but I think a strike would be a mistake at this point. Considering they make more than 2X what my salary is, I have limited sympathy for the musicians. I don't think management is being antagonistic, but management has to avoid losing money.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3