I know that it is illegal for private citizens with a CCW to carry firearms when they will be consuming alcohol. I also know that off-duty police are required to carry.

What I want to know is what are the restrictions on off-duty officers who are drinking?

I was in a Cass corridor watering hole the other day when I witnessed something that makes me very nervous. The bar's manager approached a patron sitting at the bar from behind and playfully put him in a headlock. It was obvious they knew each other, as they were laughing. The patron casually produced an automatic pistol from his waistband and the manager let him go and they continued laughing, etc.

Alarmed, I asked the waitress what this was all about. She informed that the patron was a "regular" and an off-duty Detroit officer. While I was there I watched him consume three pints of beer and two shots of some kind . . in about 40 minutes time. He shouldn't have been behind the wheel of a car, let alone packing heat. This makes me very nervous.