Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by firstandten View Post
    You don't know our wonderful mayor do you ? Other than now, the only time he lived in Detroit was when he first came here to play for the Pistons out of college and that wasn't for long.
    That's one of the reasons I preferred Mayor Cockrel.

"Where is the Mayor who'll make all things fair?
    He lives outside of our polluted air." ~Curtis Mayfield

What does JB on Detroit's east side stand for? I know all of Detroit's neighborhoods fairly well from living in DET and working there, but I never heard of an area called "JB."

Joseph Barry Subdivision

Just curious, do all you folks bitching about Bing really think Barrow would have made a better mayor?

I think the reason why the Mayor has not been living there in the first place is because eventhough he has a place in the city, he has been living in the suburbs all along.

He has a home in Detroit that he claims as his primary residence, but there is nothing that says he has to sleep there every night.

The Mayor probably figured that the city was paying to maintain the Manoogian Mansion anyways, and he is paying rent for his primary residence in Detroit. So the lease is probably over at his rental home, so why not save the money and move?

Not an either /or option.

Neither.

We have what we have but neither were the greatest choice...
    Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Just curious, do all you folks bitching about Bing really think Barrow would have made a better mayor?

The man gets no pay, and the house was sitting there, vacant. I'd rather he live in the city and that the house be occupied.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    Hey DetroitPole, I'd like to ask you a question. Please answer honestly. Were you born and raised in the city of Detroit or did you move in from outside of the city proper?
    You have never been nice to me, and personally attack me every time I post anything. Whatever I disclose you will likely use against me.

I live in Detroit. That is all you need to know.

DetroitPole Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CLAUDE G View Post
    I think the reason why the Mayor has not been living there in the first place is because eventhough he has a place in the city, he has been living in the suburbs all along.

He has a home in Detroit that he claims as his primary residence, but there is nothing that says he has to sleep there every night.

The Mayor probably figured that the city was paying to maintain the Manoogian Mansion anyways, and he is paying rent for his primary residence in Detroit. So the lease is probably over at his rental home, so why not save the money and move?
    I think our shitty media should have been following this. Now that he has the mansion, I'm sure he won't mind waking up there. You could get in trouble for flaunting the residency requirement back in the day.

It would have been interesting if the media were able to show that he was cruising up Woodward to Franlkin every night. I think it would give people some pause.

Yeah, of course I want him to live in the city. That is actually a requirement for the position. I don't want him living in a mansion for free that my tax dollars pay for that he promised not to live in. Is that really so hard to understand? So outrageous?

I don't understand why he gets a pass on this. It is a no-brainer. He is breaking a campaign promise and if he didn't live in the city he could not be mayor. Nobody is crucifying him, they are asking him to be honest and follow the requirements of his position.

No, in my opinion Barrow would have been worse. I voted for Cockrel when I could.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPole View Post
    You have never been nice to me, and personally attack me every time I post anything. Whatever I disclose you will likely use against me.

I live in Detroit. That is all you need to know.
    I think you lived in the suburbs previously, and then moved to Detroit.

And you have the nerve to attack the Mayor for doing the same thing. Get off of your high horse.

While I think it is fair to criticize Bing for breaking the campaign promise, I also think that it is understandable why he is living in the mansion. First, the mansion must be maintained regardless. Second, most of the funds for the recent renovations have been raised privately. Third, the Manoogian family donated the mansion to the city specifically to be a residence for the mayor. Fourth, I think that Bing's campaign promise was probably partially motivated by the tarnished image the mansion receieved during Kilpatrick's administration. Now that the mansion has been renovated, I think that this is one way for the city to move forward.

I think our shitty media should have been following this. Now that he has the mansion, I'm sure he won't mind waking up there. You could get in trouble for flaunting the residency requirement back in the day.

It would have been interesting if the media were able to show that he was cruising up Woodward to Franlkin every night. I think it would give people some pause.

Yeah, of course I want him to live in the city. That is actually a requirement for the position. I don't want him living in a mansion for free that my tax dollars pay for that he promised not to live in. Is that really so hard to understand? So outrageous?

I don't understand why he gets a pass on this. It is a no-brainer. He is breaking a campaign promise and if he didn't live in the city he could not be mayor. Nobody is crucifying him, they are asking him to be honest and follow the requirements of his position.

No, in my opinion Barrow would have been worse. I voted for Cockrel when I could.
    Nobody cares because in the grand scheme of what is a scandal/broken promise this one is pretty stupid. The place is empty. Whether he lives there or not your tax dollars are going to maintain the place. It can't be sold, lest it revert to the donors so really...what you're saying is you'd rather it stay empty and still cost the money. Which is kinda dumb. You would make sense if you were saying the mansion itself should be given back to the donors and NO mayor ever should live here. But you're not. you're reverting to the standard Detroit 'cut off one's nose to spite one's face' meme.

True, the mansion is incurring costs, whether occupied or not.

But what's with the 'free pass' the guy gets from supporters? He did make a campaign promise, and has decided to break that promise.

He said " I should not have to pay to be mayor " Well, he did! And most politicians do- spend tons of their own $ on campaigns.

Granted, you could not pay any amount most of us to be COD Mayor these days.

DetroitPole Guest

I think you lived in the suburbs previously, and then moved to Detroit.

And you have the nerve to attack the Mayor for doing the same thing. Get off of your high horse.
    Wow, I called that one from a mile away. You really do have it out for me. How about this instead - next time you think about asking or assuming something about my personal life [[and I'm the one with nerve?) - just go fuck yourself instead. What are you even doing here? You love the suburbs and hate Detroit. Great, you are absolutely entitled to.

For everyone else: I don't think the issue with most people is that the mayor moved to the city. I think the issue is that he moved and hasn't put any stakes down. He has been renting a condo and hanging on to his place in Franklin. I would want the mayor of all people to be a true believer in whatever city I lived in and want to really hunker down for the long haul, political office or not. That is how I feel, anyway.

I'm getting sick of this "typical Detroit fashion" crap, too. As if 900,000 people all think in lock-step. Then say anything about the suburbs and everyone gets their panties in a bunch. Isn't there anyone on this board anymore who even LIKES Detroit and Detroiters? And I mean today, not glory days nostalgia Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Some of you fuckers villified him for not living in the city. Now he does that and you still crucify him.
    Get your own heads outta your asses...just another reason Detroit can't rise! Fucked if you do, fucked if you don't.
    We usually try to discuss issues of a certain amount of complexity, but it's refreshing to hear your generalizations, overstatements and emotional appeals. How's that workin' for you over at the debate society, GOAT?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    We usually try to discuss issues of a certain amount of complexity, but it's refreshing to hear your generalizations, overstatements and emotional appeals. How's that workin' for you over at the debate society, GOAT?
    oh yeah, nuance really carries the day around here.

DC48080 Guest

Wow, I called that one from a mile away. You really do have it out for me. How about this instead - next time you think about asking or assuming something about my personal life [[and I'm the one with nerve?) - just go fuck yourself instead. What are you even doing here? You love the suburbs and hate Detroit. Great, you are absolutely entitled to.

For everyone else: I don't think the issue with most people is that the mayor moved to the city. I think the issue is that he moved and hasn't put any stakes down. He has been renting a condo and hanging on to his place in Franklin. I would want the mayor of all people to be a true believer in whatever city I lived in and want to really hunker down for the long haul, political office or not. That is how I feel, anyway.

I'm getting sick of this "typical Detroit fashion" crap, too. As if 900,000 people all think in lock-step. Then say anything about the suburbs and everyone gets their panties in a bunch. Isn't there anyone on this board anymore who even LIKES Detroit and Detroiters? And I mean today, not glory days nostalgia Detroit.
    I hate to burst your bubble, but I don't have it out for you. I just call hypocritical BS when I see it. And looking at the history of your posts on various threads, you spew copius amounts of it laced with far too much profainity.

As for me hating Detroit, nothing could be further from the truth. But if it makes you feel better to say that, if you think it increases your vaunted "street cred", go ahead and thump your chest and scream from the mountaintops that you are a serious badass because you are keeping it real, you live in Detroit.

You are seriously entertaining, little guy. Please keep your posts coming.

Get off of your high horse.
    Oof! I think I just got whiplash!

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    oh yeah, nuance really carries the day around here.
    Haha. Touche.

Isn't there anyone on this board anymore who even LIKES Detroit and Detroiters? And I mean today, not glory days nostalgia Detroit.
    Was there ever?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2