Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

No error message and I just voted this morning.

Thanks for all the effort with Fort Wayne. Enjoyed the tour awhile back.

DetroitDad Guest

Vote in!!!!!

added my vote

Monday update: 354 votes!!!

The voting results have been awesome, having accumulated close to 300 votes within the first three days of voting! We have slowed down in daily numbers of votes significantly, but continue to add to the total daily, and we appreciate the people who have stepped-up and let their voices be heard. We could not have done this without you!

Voting ends September 15th, so PLEASE get the word out to all of your friends to be heard in regard to saving this important piece oof Detroit history. We did get a few minutes of airtime today on WDET, so we thank them for helping get the word out, too!

Thanks for all of the thank you's and your kind words of encouragement and support. We can always use more supporters, so please help us get the word out to even more people so that we can win this grant. The building that we are trying to refurbish will add so much more revenue to the Fort that and we are excited to be able to offer the CoD Recreation Department an opportunity to augment the site upkeep, which will almost guarantee that it will NEVER be threatened with closing again!

Thanks again! You folks are the greatest!

Take care, and "Support the Fort!"

Res

400 VOTES as of this morning! Awesome!

Thanks, Stosh. I appreciate your assistance!

Res

Just got the error message

Since this seems to be a problem with both Tarkus and Gaz, I wonder what the difference is between they are doing and all of the others who have had success. Perhaps someone else can help out, as I am at a loss?

Thanks,

Res

I voted and posted the link on my Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Is anyone else getting this error message?

We're sorry - the page or function you tried to access could not be found on our web site. We would appreciate it if you could take a moment to email us at members@nthp.org, including details of how you arrived at this page, so that we can correct the problem.
    Thank you for your help,
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    What browser are you using? Is your browser set to accept session cookies? Some sites need to have that setting enabled in your browser to be able to accept a transaction.

I'm thinking browser. Just voted Res, hope you're well.

I have recieved notice from the National Trust in regard to the voting. I am very excited to report that we are currently in 11th place with 416 votes so far! We still have two more weeks left to vote, so please get your votes in as soon as possible.

I have also received a note regarding the error message issue to pass on to those who wish to fix the mistake they are making. Below, please find the solution per the National Trust:

"I've received a few questions about problems with the voting tool. After some sleuthing, our developer found out that people are receiving error messages after trying to vote when they are sent a link directly to your Challenge Page. It's imperative that your direct your supporters to find you on the Challenge Map page [[http://my.preservationnation.org/site/PageNavigator/TPM_CC_Map) and click through to register, login, and vote on your Challenge Page. This is because each of your Challenge Pages have a unique code in the URL which allows people's votes to be tallied correctly. If they go straight to your page, there's a slight chance that they could see an error message -- and we want to make sure this is as smooth as possible for your supporters! So please make sure to update all your Facebook posts and website links directly to the map. It also helps to remind people that they can zoom in on one area of the country to distinguish between dots that are in the same town or area. And as always, have people feel free to email thisplacematters@nthp.org if they run into problems."

Apparently, we are up against another Detroit institution, the Highland Park T-plex complex, and they are in the top 11, too! Congrats to them, and we at the HFWC wish them well!

Please remember that voting ends September 15th, so if you could find the time we sincerely appreciate any effort you could make to try to get us to #1! Without this grant, we will be in serious jeopardy of being closed down forever, so please tell everyone you know to get out the vote and "SUPPORT THE FORT!".

Thanks again to all of you who have believed and voted for our effort!

Res
    Last edited by PlymouthRes; September-01-10 at 05:18 PM.

Does only the first place finisher receive the grant? In other words, is there only one recipient?

Yes, there is only one winner.

We are up against some stiff competition with LOTS of corporate support, and even though we are a grass roots effort, we are staying in the race with the big dogs! We really need to push the votes up near 1000 if we hope to win. I know that is a lot of votes, but I believe that we can do it!

Res

Stosh Guest

I removed my post with the link to the direct page. Hopefully this will work out with the hunt and peck method.

I just voted!

Just posted another FB reminder -- good luck! Have you thought about getting any of our local media involved in getting the word out?
    Last edited by English; September-01-10 at 10:52 PM.

Voted and linked..

Thanks folks for the support! We certainly appreciate it!

Yes, we have had an interview on WDET and it has been mentioned on Channel 2 a couple of times. We have sent e-mails to congressional representatives, other preservation groups and many of our Facebook contacts on not only our page, but throughout various members, as well.

Even though you would think that it should be pretty easy to gather votes for such an important historical site, in the four years that I have been involved there, we have struggled mightly with one thing:
    getting exposure.

I am enlightened, however, that so many of you have stepped up to assist our effort, and 433 votes is nothing to take lightly. We will continue to put out the word, asking everybody to do all they can to get the word out to "Support the Fort"!

With there being so many things that are broken in the city, this is the one small thing that you have all shown you care about-and your votes have spoken.

Again, from the HFWC, we sincerely thank you for your support!

Res

LodgeDodger Guest

What bothers me is the pitting against each other of two very worthy projects. I think Fort Wayne is worthy of my vote, yet my other love is also a contender.

I agree with LodgeDodger. Strategically, this might have been a good opportunity to combine forces so that one of the five Michigan sites could have a better chance of winning.
    Last edited by Crystal; September-02-10 at 08:44 AM.

Clark Park is also on there, as well as three other places in Michigan. All worthy, I'm sure.

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    I agree with LodgeDodger. Strategically, this might have been a good opportunity to combine forces so that one of the Detroit sites could have a better chance of winning.

Many FW supporters also support T-Plex, and vice versa.
    Actually, T-Plex isn't a contender. I didn't want to mention the other place and steal Fort Wayne's thunder. *hug*

Sorry about that! Edited my post.

LD-

I don't quite see it as pitting against each other as much as I do the dismal state of "assistance", if you will, that each historic entity gets. Very few of these types of grants exist, so when they come out there is always tremendous angst as to which entity is more or less worthy.

I am very grateful that you voted for our entity, but the Highland Park entity is equally as important to me, too. We hold no animosity toward any entity that we compete against, and wish them all well in their attempt to secure the grant. With the Fo Mo Co's support of this site, they have an advantage that we don't have, and that is why I believe they are ahead: Sheer numbers of people they have internally solicited, many of whom have no idea that the other entities exist.

I kind of look at it this way, and this is what has helped me make my decision: What will $25,000 do for these entities and how much will it impact their existance?

In the case of Fort Wayne, I have stated that this will COMPLETELY redo the structure and enable rental capability, which allows us to help augment the current income of the site and the burden on the Recreation Department. The awarding of this grant should help us to convince them [[CoD) not to shutter the entire complex because we can provide a steady stream of income to help offset their current deficiencies. We, in fact, have already recieved requests from two entities as to how much the rentals will be and when they may expect to take occupancy.

At this point we are looking at upwards of $20,000/ year for site sustaining income, which should assure that we can keep the gates open.

My questions are, what will the grant be used for if it should be given to the other entities? Is their existence in as great of jeopardy as ours is? Have the others clearly stated what their intent is for the money and will it be used for the general public's benefit or only for their own personal benefit?

Will the $25,000 amount be a great asset or just a piss in the bucket, as in the MCS? That place needs MILLIONS, and $25,000 is just a token that robs the other entities of an existence if they win the award. In addition, the money goes to a privately owned entity, the owner of which has millions of his own to refurbish it, but has chosen to let a few citizens carry his torch rather than step-up and do the right thing.

Hope this makes sense to you and we appreiate your support. We still have 14 days of voting left, so please tell everyone you know
    about our effort and get your votes in.

Please help us "Support the Fort"!

Res

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast