Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Ok, here's the site that will settle all questions!

http://maps.huge.info/zip.htm

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post

Good find, Emg. Whittier was close.

It doesn't say which is better: thin crust or deep dish

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    It doesn't say which is better: thin crust or deep dish
    You have a point.

Thin crust at Little Caesar's, and deep dish at Pizza Hut.

Pick one at Buddy's.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    You have a point.

Pick one at Buddy's.

Hey, let's not forget Cloverleaf!

You have a point.

Pick one at Buddy's.
    Just happened to get a late night snack at the original Buddy's on Conant and 6Mi last night. Haven't been there in over 20 yrs prior. Pizza is still great but I recall the antipasto salad being better. Bocce ball courts are still there but the photos and plaques of its former commissioners [[i.e. Al Ackerman) were not on display.
    Last edited by kellyroad; May-30-09 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    Bocce ball courts are still there but the photos and plaques of its former commissioners [[i.e. Al Ackerman) were not on display.
    Isn't Al Ackerman the one who started saying "Bless you boys." which soon after became the theme for the Detroit Tigers in 1984?

I guess I'm really an old Detroiter. I remember them all. The piece had a couple of errors: Eastwood, not Eastland Park [[closed early 50's).....and I'm so olld I can't remember the other one. Got to re-read.

Isn't Al Ackerman the one who started saying "Bless you boys." which soon after became the theme for the Detroit Tigers in 1984?
    Right you are. The Al Ackerman trivia question however lost some of its panache with the absence of the portrait at Buddy's.

how bout that Justin Abedlkader

how bout that Justin Abedlkader
    Abdelkader, Ericsson, Helm, Leino ... who'd of thunk these kids would be in the lineup, let alone playing significant minutes, and contributing in such a fantastic manner!

Thanks for the info Fury13. My earliest recollection of Franks is that it was a small building. Most of the nursery was outdoor business. Later in the 60s the building expanded and became Frank's Nursery and Crafts. I'm wondering if the orignal building was Sam's Market.??
    When I was a wee lad, I used to enjoy throwing pennies into the fountain in the garden center at Frank's. Then, in the late 70s or early 80s, they renovated the building and removed the fountain. Then I'd toss my pennies into one of the fountains at that outdoor statue shop on 7 Mile, next door to Fantasy Lanes.

I also remember there was a fire in the warehouse part of Frank's sometime in the early 80s. As a kid, I was fascinated with fires, so I would ride my bike there to watch the progress as they rebuilt the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    When I was a wee lad, I used to enjoy throwing pennies into the fountain in the garden center at Frank's. Then, in the late 70s or early 80s, they renovated the building and removed the fountain. Then I'd toss my pennies into one of the fountains at that outdoor statue shop on 7 Mile, next door to Fantasy Lanes.
    I don't remember Fantasy Lanes but by "outdoor statue shop" are you talking about the place that was near the corner of 7 mile and Joanne? My grandparents shopped there frequently. I remember one time there was a car accident there - someone had pulled out from the sidestreet onto 7 mile and hit someone going on 7 mile - it was the first car accident I'd ever seen.

I don't remember Fantasy Lanes but by "outdoor statue shop" are you talking about the place that was near the corner of 7 mile and Joanne? My grandparents shopped there frequently. I remember one time there was a car accident there - someone had pulled out from the sidestreet onto 7 mile and hit someone going on 7 mile - it was the first car accident I'd ever seen.
    No, that was a different statue shop on 7 Mile. [[never realised what a statue avenue 7 Mile was!!!) I think it was called Alcoy Gardens, I presume, after the street?

The place I was referring to was just west of Hayes, a few doors down from Onasis Coney Island. The next door neighbor was Fantasy Lanes.

No, that was a different statue shop on 7 Mile. [[never realised what a statue avenue 7 Mile was!!!) I think it was called Alcoy Gardens, I presume, after the street?

The place I was referring to was just west of Hayes, a few doors down from Onasis Coney Island. The next door neighbor was Fantasy Lanes.

I just about lived at Fantasy and I can honestly say I never saw anyone in the statue shop it always made me wonder how they stayed in business

I don't actually remember the name, but Alcoy sounds reasonable. Yes, I now remember Alcoy as being another street in that immediate area, so that definitely sounds like the one I was talking about. So no wonder I don't remember Fantasy Lanes - even though we would have had to go right by it to get to the one on Alcoy, since we would have been coming from Morang!

I guess I wasn't into bowling that much at the time. On a rare occasion my mother would take me bowling, but we'd usually go to the Denby bowling alley on Whittier near Duchess.

Flamingo Hall was just west of Fantasy Lanes, toward Chalmers from Hayes, right? Danced up a storm there when I was about 5 at a cousin's wedding. My mug is in just about every family photo taken there that day.

Flamingo Hall was just west of Fantasy Lanes, toward Chalmers from Hayes, right? Danced up a storm there when I was about 5 at a cousin's wedding. My mug is in just about every family photo taken there that day.
    It was the Flamingo Theatre when I was a kid. I distinctly remember seeing "Abbot & Costello meet the Wolfman" there at a 10 cent Saturday matinee.

When I was in 8th grade it was the Flamingo roller rink. We had a class skating party there.

That old building had a few incarnations. Wonder if it's still standing.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    It was the Flamingo Theatre when I was a kid. I distinctly remember seeing "Abbot & Costello meet the Wolfman" there at a 10 cent Saturday matinee.

When I was in 8th grade it was the Flamingo roller rink. We had a class skating party there.

That old building had a few incarnations. Wonder if it's still standing.
    My sister, Liz, had her wedding there in 1964. It was a really nice hall back in the day. She had one of those all day weddings where you had the Mass in the morning, followed by a 'breakfast' [[really a mid day dinner), a couple hours of relaxing, and then the evening reception. Who could afford that today?

Pretty typical Polish or Italian wedding in the day. Or often a Polish/Italian wedding. One of the most common cross cultural unions in my observation.

My cousin's wedding was that way as well. I remember the reception was somewhere in Hamtramck. We stayed on till the wee hours of the morning, which was quite an experience for me, being nine years old at the time. That was an eventful night in the city as I recall, some kind of disturbance on 12th Street as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    My cousin's wedding was that way as well. I remember the reception was somewhere in Hamtramck. We stayed on till the wee hours of the morning, which was quite an experience for me, being nine years old at the time. That was an eventful night in the city as I recall, some kind of disturbance on 12th Street as well.

It was just a little bonfire, people letting off a some steam, at least they got it cleaned up 30 years later

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    It was just a little bonfire, people letting off a some steam, at least they got it cleaned up 30 years later
    When did they do that??

Quote Originally Posted by Eastburn View Post
    Pretty typical Polish or Italian wedding in the day. Or often a Polish/Italian wedding. One of the most common cross cultural unions in my observation.
    Yep, my sister is part Polish, her husband is 1/2 Italian.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    When did they do that??

Well, maybe it was the wind

The Admiral's on the fritz today. All I get is channel 9. Funny thing is that one's coming in better than ever. I even tried the old UHF converter with a new tube from Olson's, and moved the aerial in the attic every which way, and checked all the spaghetti, and still I get diddly squat. Guess I'm going to have to pull out the tuner.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast