Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    Reports of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.
    Good one. Nice to hear from you.

Now we just need the other TS to check in for the trifecta.

Cool. Tigers win, and I'm thinkin' Arby's!

Default Eastwood business question

Besides the car wash on Eastwood and Hayes. Was there another business on Eastwood east of Gratiot? If so, where was it located?

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    Besides the car wash on Eastwood and Hayes. Was there another business on Eastwood east of Gratiot? If so, where was it located?
    I think I may have mentioned this once before, but there was a Colonial Savings on the corner of Eastwood and Kelly Road ... nice bank ... nice tellers ... no questions asked of this minor making deposits or withdrawals [[I plan to retire on the compounded interest from my First Communion money) ... remember a couple metal coin banks with their name on it you could open with a key [[still have the keys ... wish I still had the banks) ... and there were two calendars [[one was the size of a small pamphlet, and the other was a flip desk calendar with beautiful seasonal pictures for each month) and someone mentioned plates as another giveaway ... used to stop in and get gum from their penny gumball machine often ... and they used to give out a little two-pack of gum in a tiny cardboard box.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    I think I may have mentioned this once before, but there was a Colonial Savings on the corner of Eastwood and Kelly Road ... nice bank ... nice tellers ... no questions asked of this minor making deposits or withdrawals [[I plan to retire on the compounded interest from my First Communion money) ... remember a couple metal coin banks with their name on it you could open with a key [[still have the keys ... wish I still had the banks) ... and there were two calendars [[one was the size of a small pamphlet, and the other was a flip desk calendar with beautiful seasonal pictures for each month) and someone mentioned plates as another giveaway ... used to stop in and get gum from their penny gumball machine often ... and they used to give out a little two-pack of gum in a tiny cardboard box.
    Was there another business closer to Gratiot? a bar? a ma&pa store?

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    Was there another business closer to Gratiot? a bar? a ma&pa store?
    Good question for enquiring minds, but nothing specific comes to mine.

How about across Eastwood from the car wash on Hayes, or was that a house? Seems like Celestine had a bar on every other corner too.

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    Good question for enquiring minds, but nothing specific comes to mine.

How about across Eastwood from the car wash on Hayes, or was that a house? Seems like Celestine had a bar on every other corner too.
    7K: I had a paper route during the late 60s on Eastwood and don't recall a bar or a small Ma&Pa grocery store between Hayes and Chalmers. Your inquiry about the area across from the car wash on the north east corner of Hayes and Eastwood however is intriguing.
    Last edited by kellyroad; August-01-09 at 12:07 PM.

North-east corner of Eastwood and Hayes is a Detroit Edison power substation. We used to play football on the grass between the sidewalk and the street...then they planted trees in the 70's. Bus stop right there on Hayes was our ticket to Tiger baseball and downtown Hudsons via the Hayes Express. There were houses on each corner on the west side...and just south of Eastwood on Hayes was another party store, Romanos or something like that...we never crossed Hayes, we went to Bono's, they had pizza.

Now I am thinking about the other party stores on Hayes. At Saratoga it was Quik-Pic in the 70/80's, fist place I had a frozen coke. At Faircrest was "Johns" party store, a classic mom and pop where they lived upstairs, they closed in the latre 60's.

It's odd how much different the neighborhoods were north and south of 7 Mile. I don't think there were any mom and pop stores where people lived above east of Heilmann. At least none that I remember. The houses in that section were mostly built during or after WWII I think and were either brick or asbestos shingled bungalows.

Does anyone recall the little Tropical Fish store on Hayes? I am forgetting the streets but it was in a small house on Hayes I believe...near the park off of six mile ..any clues?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    It's odd how much different the neighborhoods were north and south of 7 Mile. I don't think there were any mom and pop stores where people lived above east of Heilmann. At least none that I remember. The houses in that section were mostly built during or after WWII I think and were either brick or asbestos shingled bungalows.

Franks of Boullder between Manning and Tacoma

Quote Originally Posted by zitro View Post
    I don't remember that as being a two story house where people lived upstairs. I thought it was shaped more like a ranch house or cinder block 1 story building.

I don't remember that as being a two story house where people lived upstairs. I thought it was shaped more like a ranch house or cinder block 1 story building.

You're right I guess I didn't understand what you were saying, there was a house directly behind it though that I think one of the brothers lived in originally

I was thinking more in terms of the places like the ones around the southeast part of the city or over in Poletown where there was a small store downstairs and living quarters above or behind. Almost like someone had a party store in their living room.

For the life of me I can't place this business being here, what brand was this Sunoco?
    Last edited by zitro; May-01-10 at 07:08 AM.

Sounds like we're talking about the square building to the right in the background of the first picture I posted in this post a while back in the St. Jude thread.

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showpos...&postcount=928

It's still there. I don't know what kind it is tho.
    Here's a pic. That's the Harper Woods Eastwood, just across Kelly from where Rossini empties out
    Attachment 2640

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    Sounds like we're talking about the square building to the right in the background of the first picture I posted in this post a while back in the St. Jude thread.

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showpos...&postcount=928

That's the one EMG, sawdust on the floor. They would keep little spiral notebooks in cigar boxes with families names on them for keeping track on their credits. Dad would square up with him every couple of weeks

It's still there. I don't know what kind it is tho.
    Here's a pic. That's the Harper Woods Eastwood, just across Kelly from where Rossini empties out
    Attachment 2640

I can't believe it, I was thinking the wrong Eastwood I forgot about the HW one. Duh

For the life of me I can't place this business being here, what brand was this Sunoco?
    Not 100% sure Z, but I think it was a Sunoco. ...The corvair I drove had a high compression engine that required premium gas. I believe Sunoco at that time had the highest octane available ......so once in a while I'd fill up at that Sunoco on Kelly in Harper Woods or the one on Kelly/Morang.

I can't believe it, I was thinking the wrong Eastwood I forgot about the HW one. Duh
    I tend to do just the opposite. My default thinking is of the Harper Woods Eastwood and then I forget about the one in Detroit!

It was hard enough keeping straight all the "Wood___" streets in Harper Woods. Woodside, Woodcrest, Woodland, and, a little further north, Woodmont! Bad planning! They should have run them all together four in a row!!!

Hey, as long as we're in the general neighborhood, does anyone have a good quality picture of the old Eastland Professional Building? Six story, flat sided, narrow?

Quote Originally Posted by metman View Post
    Now I am thinking about the other party stores on Hayes. At Saratoga it was Quik-Pic in the 70/80's, fist place I had a frozen coke. At Faircrest was "Johns" party store, a classic mom and pop where they lived upstairs, they closed in the latre 60's.
    I remember a vacuum repair place along the east side of Hayes in that general area. Also I believe there was a clnic type building at Hayes and Eastwood - in fact I think it may well have been called the Eastwood Clinic - with doctors' offices. Down further south on the east side of Hayes closer to Rochelle was a funeral home - I most recently remember it as The House Of Johnson but it had a different name before it changed to that and now I can't remember what that old name was. "Higgerson" seems to ring a bell but I'm not sure if that was it or if Higgerson was the name of a funeral home somewhere else.
    Last edited by EMG; August-06-09 at 08:03 PM.

I did a search for Higgerson Funeral Home and found this in someone's family tree page:
    Mont died on Friday, May 12, 1967 and was buried in Mt. Olivet Cemetery. Services were held at the Higgerson Funeral Home on Hayes Ave in Detroit. A funeral mass was at Guardian Angel Church on Monday, May 15, 1967.

The following obit appeared in the Detroit paper:
    Lock, Mont. Beloved husband of Margaret; dear father of Mrs. Raymond [[Maureen) Lieckfelt, Joseph, Mrs. Ronald [[Airielle) Kalafut, Mrs. Richard [[Lenore) Creston, Mrs. Robert [[Martha) Greening, and the late Howard; grandfather of 29; also survived by three sisters and one brother. Funeral from Higgerson Funeral Home, 12540 Hayes at Rochelle, Monday at 9:15 A.M. to Guardian Angel Church at 10; Rosary Sunday at 9 P.M.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast