Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

But was there some sort of station there in the late 60s-early 70s?

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Unfortunately, in the "late 60's-early 70's" I was still too young to be allowed to ride my bike that far, so I wouldn't know!

Quote Originally Posted by Tsomyak View Post
    Early on I remember my mom gassing up at the Standard station at Seven and Kelly. Later, my brother worked for a spell at the Sunoco on Kelly and Morang, and we migrated over there. Does anyone remember the owner/name of that one?

I don't remember tha name of the owner of that station, but I do know the owner of the Standard on the corner of Moross and Kelly was Bob Randall. Rick Kavanaugh who was in the choir for a long time was head mechanic there for years
    Last edited by zitro; May-28-09 at 02:21 PM.

That's a great question/observation JC: I'm not 100% sure if there was a gas station before TOTAL or not. It seems the 8 mile/Kelly corner in the 60s were a Michigan bank [[built in the 60s on the SW corner, a family restaurant on the NW corner, a bank on the NE corner, and the mystery business on the SE corner. Wasn't there a Boron station there at on time??

I found this picture on WSU's website that EMG posted a link for.

I don't know what year it was taken but judging by the line for gas, I'd say at least '73.

I remember when I came back home in 1985 and the Total had installed bullet-proof glass at the cash register and one of those trays you slide your money into so the clerk can get it from the other side. Thought it was funny at the time....

I think the Total was one of the first gas stations around there that began to stay open 24 hours. Back in the olden days, gas stations used to close up for the night.

The bank across Kelly was a Michigan National, I believe. Next to that on 8 Mile was an Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips.

Quote Originally Posted by SJ.Jet View Post

I don't know what year it was taken but judging by the line for gas, I'd say at least '73.

I remember when I came back home in 1985 and the Total had installed bullet-proof glass at the cash register and one of those trays you slide your money into so the clerk can get it from the other side. Thought it was funny at the time....

I think the Total was one of the first gas stations around there that began to stay open 24 hours. Back in the olden days, gas stations used to close up for the night.

The bank across Kelly was a Michigan National, I believe. Next to that on 8 Mile was an Arthur Treacher's Fish & Chips.
    SJJ: I remember the around the clock TOTAL as being one of the first also. That was a busy intersection with 8 Mile, Eastland, and nearby I-94. Wasn't the restaurant on the NW corner called Biff's at one time?

Quote Originally Posted by kellyroad View Post
    SJJ: I remember the around the clock TOTAL as being one of the first also. That was a busy intersection with 8 Mile, Eastland, and nearby I-94. Wasn't the restaurant on the NW corner called Biff's at one time?
    My earliest memories were of the restaurant being called Banquet on a Bun, then it was Armories. Then it went through a number of name changes including Friar Tuck's and most recently Rex's Kelly Road Deli.

There was also a Mobile station next to it that is currently an oil change shop.

I remember Biff's...nice restaurant...fast service...order soup there, and they ladeled it into your bowl as you were speaking.

Was the Total put in where the multi-story Eastland Professional Building once proudly stood, or was that ripped out for some other purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by SJ.Jet View Post

Nice picture post, SJJ. Is that my 68 Coronet I see back in that line? If it is, it's being driven by the original owner who took oh so good care of it. He got a new Aspen in 76, and I got the best used car ever!

Quote Originally Posted by 7andkelly View Post
    I remember Biff's...nice restaurant...fast service...order soup there, and they ladeled it into your bowl as you were speaking.

Was the Total put in where the multi-story Eastland Professional Building once proudly stood, or was that ripped out for some other purpose?
    Total was there at the same time as the EPB. That space is now occupied by an Applebee's, and a McDonald's.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Total was there at the same time as the EPB. That space is now occupied by an Applebee's, and a McDonald's.
    That sure beats a gutted out shell or a vacant lot. Eastland was in pretty good shape, IMO, last time I checked.

Default Eastwood

I'm so old that I clicked on Eastwood to reminisce about the great Eastwood Gardens amusement park at 8&G. Big bands and great rides.

I watched them burn the old wooden roller coaster when they wrecked the place. We lived just 5 blocks south of there.

My dad has told me about an amusement park there, but it's all an ancient history story to me as it wasn't around by the time I was growing up in the 60's. [[When exactly DID that park close? How long was the area vacant before the new shopping center got built on the site?) I DO remember as a kid in the 60's and early 70's frequently going to the Shopper's Fair on that corner. I believe that later became KMart. I also remember there was a place called Don's Chuck Wagon Restaurant just north of the Shopper's Fair parking lot [[but I never ate there).

A similar place I remember shopping at with my grandmother was Arlan's which was on the northeast corner of 8 Mile and Schoenherr. The building which [[at least as of the time I left was) Art Van's Furniture was PEOPLE's furniture back then.

And then wasn't there a place called Yankee's [[I'm not even sure if that was the name of it but it seems right) on Schoenherr up around 14 mile? Boy, now I'm delving DEEP into recesses of memories I had long forgotten.

Another favorite place that I used to go shopping with my grandparents was the whole area of 7 mile and Gratiot, most notably Montgomery Ward's and Federal's Department Store. I also used to take piano lessons at a private home on Maddelein just east of Gratiot, and my mother would shop in that area during my lesson, sometimes getting me some candy from Fannie Farmer's for after the lesson.
    Last edited by EMG; May-30-09 at 12:08 PM.

My mom told me about the time she took the Gratiot street car up to 8 mile and saw Sophie Tucker at the Eastwood Gardens. I'm wondering too if Shopper's Fair was built right after the Eastwood Gardens was torn down.

Well I just did a Google search on "Shopper's Fair" and turned up some interesting sites that some here may find of interest.

http://www.wtv-zone.com/dpjohnson/60sdiscountstores/ - not a Detroit site but nonetheless an interesting look back at some old chain stores including Shopper's Fair.

And here's the "main menu" for the site above:

http://www.wtv-zone.com/dpjohnson/homepage/index.html

"You're an Old Detroiter if...." [[Waterford alumni page): http://www.waterfordalumni.com/html/rick_lafay.html

And here's an even better one from the Assumption Grotto area. In fact, I'm not only going to post the link
    http://assumptionaires.com/Miscellan...OITER%20IF.htm

I'm going to paste in the text. This one's sure to start enough memories to keep this thread going for a long, long time!

YOU'RE AN OLD DETROITER IF...

You ever played in the "Big Ditch" as I-94 was being built.

You took a "moonlight cruise" to Bob-Lo with Captain Bob-Lo or took the bus to Edgewater Amusement Park. [[see http://www.boblosteamers.com/) You remember the cruises to Put-In-Bay.

You remember Eastside Amusement Park on Eight Mile and Gratiot. The Jefferson Beach amusement park on Jefferson near 9 mile with the Fun House with the rolling wood barrel, the house that Jack built, and the burlap sheets you used on the wood slide.

You remember cheering from one end of the tunnel to the other while going to Belle Isle.

The big stove was on Jefferson Ave at the entrance to Belle Isle.

You rented bikes or rode horses or the horse drawn carriages on Belle Isle. You rented canoes and paddled from one end of the island to the other. Raced model sailboats. Golfed after dark at the lighted Belle Isle par three course.

You shopped at Hughes and Hatcher, B. Siegel, Peck and Peck, Himelhoch's, Federal's, Kerns, or Berlin's.

The "Street Cars" ran on tracks down the center of Gratiot. The "car barns" were at Gratiot and Harper and the turntable was called the "Ca-ga-loop."

You've ever played on the escalator at J. L. Hudson's downtown, and if you hurt yourself you were taken to the Hospital on the 3rd floor. You rode the elevator, which was "run" by an elevator operator. You played in the toy department on the 12th floor while your parents shopped. You sat on Santa’s lap on the mezzanine on the 12th floor.

You remember when Eastland and Northland were NEW and not enclosed malls.

You remember any mayors other than Young and Archer and you know who Cobo was.

You remember what you were doing when you got word there was a "riot" going on.

You remember a Winkleman's store in your neighborhood.

You thought driving to Southfield, was going "out to the country."

You remember the mineral bath smell of Mt. Clemens. You stopped for ice cream at the Mt. Clemens Creamery on Gratiot in Mt. Clemens -- the best was orange-pineapple!

You remember the "Big Snow."

You watched Buffalo Bob, Howdy Doody, Clarabell, Flub-a-Dub, Phineas T. Bluster, Princess Winter-Fall-Summer-Spring on TV.

On the Saturday morning brought to you by Kowalski Sausage --- Plunk your magic twanger, Froggy. The Gunga Din movies, cartoons, etc.

You remember Twin Pines Dairy delivered milk and juice to the chute on the side of your house..... and Milky the Clown performed magic with the magic words "Twin Pines."

You remember! the Good Humor man in a white uniform, ringing the bells and riding down your street.

You saw Marvin Gaye [[or The Beatles) sing at the Olympia Stadium or the Twenty Grand Lounge.

Sock Hops at Notre Dame High School with Stevie Wonder and Father "Hollywood" Bryson.

You remember Olympia Stadium.

You remember Land-of-Nod, the Magic Shop, the old Ben Franklin Library [[on Greiner,) Kinsels Drugs, Scrumptious Ice Cream [[before Dairy Queen), Saratoga Bakery, Universal Appliances, Paul Remers, Heinrichs, Webers Meats, Lawsonian Church, Rubys Furniture, Neisners 5&10 Cent Store, Union Appliances, Budmans Heating, Sanders Candies, Sanders Cleaners, Ramona Theater, Christian Brothers Market, Bertotti’s Market, Smith’s Market, see more below.

You attended the Father-and-Son Party at the Assumption Grotto School Basement with the surprise visit by Soupy Sales. You helped with the school newspaper drives. The dance instructors [[cost 10 cents/student/lesson), husband and wife, ????. Taught the students the Waltz, Foxtrot, square dance, Virginia Reel, etc.

You took the streetcar and then the bus through the tunnel to Windsor to buy Lady-Finger fire-crackers at 25 cents per 100.

Waterford was where your neighbor’s cottage was.

The large fireworks displays put on by the J.L. Hudson Company at the foot of Woodward every 4th of July.

You remember when Vernor's was made on Woodward and the bearded troll was on the bottle. Your parents treated you to Vernor’s on tap at the Vernor’s building near the foot of Woodward.

You drank Towne Club pop [[or Grilli's or Oh-So or Atlas).

You bought groceries at Big Bear, Christian Brothers, Great Scott, Lipson's, Dixfield's, National, A&P, Smiths or Chatham's.

Your Mom saved Holden Red Stamps, H&S Green Stamps or Gold Bell Stamps.

Kresge's, Woolworth's, and Neisner’s were "DIME STORES."

Your school took a bus trip to "the cider mill" and had donuts and cider after the tour.

Your school took a bus trip to Kellogg's in Battle Creek.

You had an Uncle in the furniture business [[Joshua Doore).

You know who Bill Kennedy [[Channel 9 Windsor) was --- but maybe never saw him in the movies.

You remember the Speedway Auto Racetrack on Eight Mile and Schoenherr.

You shopped at Arlans, Shopper's Fair, Federals, and Korvettes.

You remember this telephone number: Tyler 8-7100 [[Belvedere Construction) and the slogan "We do good work."

Your phone number may have started with Venice, Lakeview, Tyler, Kenwood, Diamond, Trinity, Twinbrook, Melrose, Madison, Townsend, Plaza, Olive, or Cadillac.

You saw the Detroit Lions play football in Tiger Stadium. You remember the Lions with Milt Plum, Bobby Layne, and Howard “Hopalong” Cassidy beating the Cleveland Browns for the NFL Championship 56-14.

You remember this phrase "suga is suga and salt is salt, if you didn't get off it's not my fault."

You shopped at Crowley's, and crossed the enclosed bridge. Your mother also took you to Kern’s probably on Downtown Detroit Days [[DDD.)

You remember Black Bart, and the Faygo pop song being sung on the Bob-Lo boat. Or how about, "Which way did he go? Which way did he go?" Herkimer the exhausted Faygo bottle-blower [[“I’m too pooped to participate!” “What, too pooped to participate!?” “Then live it up, up, up with Uptown!”)and the Faygo kid.

The Goeble Brewery [[mascot – the rooster) across Gratiot from the Stroh’s Brewery. And nearby the smell of fresh baked bread from the Silvercup Bread Bakery [[1-1/2 cups of milk in every loaf.)

You watched Rita Bell's Prize Movie.

You ran home from school to listen to The Shadow on weekdays.

You know who Sonny Elliot is. Do you remember him using the chalk on a map of Michigan? Sonny Elliot saying Inga-Dinga-Dine [[after Ingadine, Michigan,) and removing the Keweenau Peninsula from the map and twisting his finger into it!

Holding snakes at the Children's zoo on Belle Isle, or at the Detroit Zoo?

You remember Jac LeGoff, Lou Gordon, and Van Patrick.

You remember Soupy Sales, Johnny Ginger, The Friendly Giant, Uncle Bob, Poopdeck Paul and Captain Jolly.

From 12 noon to 1 PM on weekdays you remember Soupy Says [[Words of Wisdom on the chalkboard), Willy the Worm, and the old time movies.

You visited the Wonder Bread Bakery and got to take home a mini loaf of bread.

You have a picture of yourself sitting on the pony that seemed to make it down everyone's street.

Your zip code was only one or two digits - Detroit 19, Michigan

You had a [[Shaffer's) breadman and a [[Brickley's) milkman. Milk brought in glass quart bottles, the egg-man selling eggs from a straw basket door-to-door, and the ice man bringing an ice block with tongs into your house and placing in the icebox.

You remember "Get on the right track, to 9 Mile and Mack. To get the best deal in town. At Roy O' Brien......"

You remember the PURE and GULF gas stations. The "Gas Wars." Total Gas at 18.9 cents/gal.

Your house had a laundry chute and a milk chute. You would squeeze through the milk chute to open unlock the side door for your parents.

You remember Primo's Pizza, The Red Barn, Powers, Henry's, Top Hat, Herc's Beef Buffet, Big Boy's Drive-In, and Tom's Tavern.

You attended a wedding reception or a banquet at Roma Hall, Geisz Hall, Polish Century Club.

You banked at Detroit Bank & Trust, National Bank of Detroit, and First Federal.

You remember seeing Jolly Jack from City Sew-Vac on TV selling his reconditioned canister vacuum cleaners. “I’m Jolly Jack from City-SewVac … I’m just a little guy, but I’ve got a great deal for you…!”

Business’s Near Assumption Grotto in the 1950’s:

Land ‘O Nod Baby Furniture
    Magic Store
    National Bank of Detroit
    Weitenberner Funeral Home
    Big Bear Market [[later Wrigley’s Market)
    Scrumptious [[like Dairy Queen)
    Dairy queen
    Neisner’s 5&10 Cent Store
    Kinsel’s Drugs
    Paul Remer’s Drugs
    Universal Appliance
    Christian Brother’s Market
    Sanders Candies
    Barber College [[earlier Ruby’s Furniture)
    Cook’s Paints
    Gas Company Office
    Weber’s Meats
    Scotties Fish & Chips
    Heinrich’s Bakery
    Health Supreme
    S&F Smith’s Market
    Agdan’s Studio [[earlier Judy Kudialis Dance Studio)
    Budman’s Heating
    Sander’s Cleaners
    Bertotti’s Market
    Lawsonian Church
    Union Appliance
    Geisz Hall
    Alcoy Grill
    Ramona Bowling
    Ramona Theater
    Old Benjamin Franklin Library
    Saratoga Bakery
    Old Magic Shop [[around the corner from the Saratoga Bakery)
    Dairy Queen
    Reiter’s Meats

In fact, I see there is a whole club of "Assumptionaires" made up of people from that area. If interested, check it out!

http://assumptionaires.com/

Fury13: I lived on Morang and Eastwood in the 50s thru 70s and didn't know about the soda fountain at Supreme Drugs. Shows how provincial we can be at times. I do remember my mom saying that Supreme Drugs would send a welcoming basket to new residents in the neighborhood. My folks moved on Morang in 1952.
    To revisit Supreme Drugs: my mom told me recently that the soda fountain came out in the mid- to late '50s.

Also, was there originally a Sam's Market on the corner of 7 and Hayes that later held Frank's Nursery?

Your zip code was only one or two digits - Detroit 19, Michigan
    I think that was called your Zone. But anyway, were we all in Zone 05?

I think that was called your Zone. But anyway, were we all in Zone 05?
    Nope, we were in 24. I think Kelly may have been the boundary. Harper Woods is 25 I believe.

That sounds about right - I imagine the old "zones" all just had 482 slapped onto the beginnings of them, because I know for sure my old zip code, 48224, includes everything east of Kelly [[possibly east of Hayes but that I'm not sure of) and west of Mack and north of - well I don't know, Whittier/Outer drive or possibly even south of that. Then yes 48225 is Harper Woods, and 48205 is west of Hayes [[or Kelly). I'm sure 7 and Kelly could confirm the correct boundary line between 48224 and 48205 for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Fury13 View Post
    To revisit Supreme Drugs: my mom told me recently that the soda fountain came out in the mid- to late '50s.

Also, was there originally a Sam's Market on the corner of 7 and Hayes that later held Frank's Nursery?
    Thanks for the info Fury13. My earliest recollection of Franks is that it was a small building. Most of the nursery was outdoor business. Later in the 60s the building expanded and became Frank's Nursery and Crafts. I'm wondering if the orignal building was Sam's Market.??

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    That sounds about right - I imagine the old "zones" all just had 482 slapped onto the beginnings of them, because I know for sure my old zip code, 48224, includes everything east of Kelly [[possibly east of Hayes but that I'm not sure of) and west of Mack and north of - well I don't know, Whittier/Outer drive or possibly even south of that. Then yes 48225 is Harper Woods, and 48205 is west of Hayes [[or Kelly). I'm sure 7 and Kelly could confirm the correct boundary line between 48224 and 48205 for us.
    I lived on Maddelein between Redmond and Boulder, and we were 48205, so it must have been west of Kelly, North of 7, South of 8 and East of ?

I lived on Maddelein between Redmond and Boulder, and we were 48205, so it must have been west of Kelly, North of 7, South of 8 and East of ?
    SW of 7andkelly: Detroit 5, Mich.

Maybe north of Whittier?

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast