Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Anyone frequent Little Bill's Saloon on Hayes just south of Seven Mile? I used to walk there from my house on Fordham just after I got out of the military. That place was always hoppin'!

Res

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    I went to him for many years myself.....just ran into his old secretary, Margaret, at Meijers not to long ago. He passed away many years ago. Glad to jog your memory.
    I would've thought his name was gone with the ages, my cousins that would remember are passed too. Super, I'm gonna make a note in my memory archives. I would guess...he would be 85-90 if alive?

He was her younger doctor in those days....late 1950's early 60's. The other guy was an old coot who ran Saratoga for decades...he had office near Harper Theatre then moved later moved to Hayes.....between 6 & 7 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Was that the big Methodist Church on the south side just east of Dominican High School? My Boy Scout Troop 246 met in their Sunday School. The church sponsored the troop.
    No, whatever it was it was further west than Dominican...I'd say 2/3's of the way to Kelly perhaps? I should google view it.

Quote Originally Posted by PlymouthRes View Post
    Anyone frequent Little Bill's Saloon on Hayes just south of Seven Mile? I used to walk there from my house on Fordham just after I got out of the military. That place was always hoppin'!

Res
    Used to patronize Little Bill's around 1981-1983 while in high school. The bartenders were so old they didn't recognize [[or care) that we were underage.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    No, whatever it was it was further west than Dominican...I'd say 2/3's of the way to Kelly perhaps? I should google view it.
    http://www.vpike.com?e=42.418574,-82...sdowne%2048224

I'm guessing that this is the church in question - it was on the south side of Whittier near Lansdowne. [[Actually I think the corner was Stratman). But though I visualized this place immediately upon reading the above post, and I feel like it's on the tip of my tongue, I just can't remember the actual name of the church. I'm sure as soon as someone can identify it I'll immediately wonder how in the world I could have forgotten!

Didn't the name have "Saints" in it....? Or at least something starting with an S? Or maybe the word Morning as part of it? Darn....like I said, it's on the tip of my tongue....but....

"[[something) of the Saints" or

"Saints of the [[something)" ????

Not even sure if I'm getting colder or warmer with these guesses....

I did some additional Googling trying to come up with the name of that church. No luck yet but I did find this link to a Facebook page about Guardian Angels Church which contains a lot of posts that would be of interest to many readers of this thread as it also talks in detail about many of the businesses around Whitter at the time:

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...410&topic=7216

Same time [[1983) as me MikeM! We probably tossedc a few back at one time or another, because when I was home on leave I was there just about every night!

Small world, eh?

Res

Aha! I knew if I stopped trying to think about it long enough it would come to me. The church name I was trying to remember is....HOLY COMMUNION LUTHERAN!!!!! [[Maybe it was my own former Catholic roots showing, and I was subconsciously thinking "Communion of the Saints" with all those previous Saints-related speculations).

And I've verified it by Google Search.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&q=HOLY+...73716d440c1f33

So unless there's another one I've completely forgotten about, I don't think there was a Methodist church on Whittier at all. It was LUTHERAN!

Quote Originally Posted by EMG View Post
    So unless there's another one I've completely forgotten about, I don't think there was a Methodist church on Whittier at all. It was LUTHERAN!
    There was a Methodist Church on the south side of Whittier east of Dominican High School. My Boy Scout troop met there. I looked on Google Maps and it must have been lost to the construction of the Edsel Ford during the sixties.

There was a lighting supply store along Whittier called Danckerts. It had a front window divided up into an number of small panes instead of the big plate glass front window common to stores..

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    There was a Methodist Church on the south side of Whittier east of Dominican High School. My Boy Scout troop met there. I looked on Google Maps and it must have been lost to the construction of the Edsel Ford during the sixties.
    If it was east of Dominican High school, then it was definitely before my time and probably was lost to the Ford.

Quote Originally Posted by a100driver View Post
    That WAS a cool store, wasn't it EMG? Remember how you'd press a button under the picture of your food order and it showed up on the other side? Then they also had that turntable with the desserts? That WAS a cool store.
    [[The above was about Chatham Plus on Chicago in Warren).

I had been meaning to comment on this earlier but kept forgetting in all the head-scratching about the mystery church on Whittier.

I actually don't have a clear memory of those items. A possible vague, vague recollection now that you mention it, but honestly...not really.

It would be interesting if it were possible to do some time-traveling and go back to Chatham Plus. We probably wouldn't think anything of it now that we've had Walmart Supercenters to compare it to! But it sure was a novelty for its time!

If it was east of Dominican High school, then it was definitely before my time and probably was lost to the Ford.
    Too bad. It was a beautiful red brick church.

That settles it - I DEFINITELY don't remember a red brick church in that area -so it was definitely gone before my time. Also, if it stood on the current site of the Ford Freeway it must have been virtually right across Harper from St. Matthew's Catholic Church, and I would have remembered that. A moot point because the Ford Freeway was there since before I was born [[or if not, it was certainly there before I was old enough to notice and remember things like churches!)

If anyone can remember more specific information - name of the church, year built/year demolished maybe with a little Googling or help from that wonderful Wayne State virtual archive library we might be able to find a picture of that red brick Methodist church.

Anyway, since Mikefmich originally said the church he had in mind was"further west than Dominican...I'd say 2/3's of the way to Kelly perhaps" I'm pretty sure he was talking about Holy Communion Lutheran which I posted earlier.
    Last edited by EMG; September-05-10 at 02:21 PM.

That settles it - I DEFINITELY don't remember a red brick church in that area -so it was definitely gone before my time. Also, if it stood on the current site of the Ford Freeway it must have been virtually right across Harper from St. Matthew's Catholic Church, and I would have remembered that.

If anyone can remember more specific information - name of the church, year built/year demolished maybe with a little Googling or help from that wonderful Wayne State virtual archive library we might be able to find a picture of that red brick Methodist church.

Anyway, since Mikefmich originally said the church he had in mind was"further west than Dominican...I'd say 2/3's of the way to Kelly perhaps" I'm pretty sure he was talking about Holy Communion Lutheran which I posted earlier.
    Your right EMG, Holy Communion was it.

This church east of Dominican business....my memory pre-Ford Freeway is purty fuzzy. Some things are vivid, some things I'm nearly brain dead at. I cannot picture a church between Dominican & Harper.

Im gonna send an email to someone I think might remember.

Buy American Guest

Does St. David ring a bell?

Sometimes these threads are cool...remember things you thought were gone. But then I get on google streetview and the bile starts to rise inside.
    First house on McKinney off Whittier across from Dominican...all boarded up. Use to socialize there a LOT when I was a teenager with a pair of sisters from my church. Looks like the front steps are crumbling...spent many nights there listening to the Beatles and Herman Hermits records. :P

Btw, when did Dominican School come down?

Dominican isn't down; it's still there, but closed now, I think.
    It's between McKinney and King Richard
    Last edited by jcole; September-05-10 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Dominican isn't down; it's still there, but closed now, I think.
    It's between McKinney and King Richard
    The Methodist church must have been between King Richard and Harper. I know that I walked past Dominican HS on my way to the church and the church was on the south side of Whittier.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Sometimes these threads are cool...remember things you thought were gone. But then I get on google streetview and the bile starts to rise inside.
    First house on McKinney off Whittier across from Dominican...all boarded up. Use to socialize there a LOT when I was a teenager with a pair of sisters from my church. Looks like the front steps are crumbling...spent many nights there listening to the Beatles and Herman Hermits records. :P
    I can definitely relate - "the bile rose inside" while I was still LIVING in that area watching the neighborhood being destroyed before my eyes. So many wonderful homes - trashed! At least you were able to still see that McKinney house on Google. Look again in a few years and you might see an empty lot there overgrown with weeds, just like the one on the northeast corner of Lakepoint and Britain. And it will be touted as an improvement.

I can definitely relate - "the bile rose inside" while I was still LIVING in that area watching the neighborhood being destroyed before my eyes. So many wonderful homes - trashed! At least you were able to still see that McKinney house on Google. Look again in a few years and you might see an empty lot there overgrown with weeds, just like the one on the northeast corner of Lakepoint and Britain. And it will be touted as an improvement.
    Googled my old home at 10681 Nottingham. It still looks intact, but is boarded up.

When we moved there in 1941, there were still a lot of vacant lots on Nottingham, Beaconsfield, and Roxbury. Everything north of Grayton was open fields. I ahve a picture of me in our back yard taken around 1944-1945 and behind our hiuse is just empty lots over on Beaconsfield.

What was the school on King Richard and Boleyn? It looks like it was a public elementary or junior high but is closed now

Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    What was the school on King Richard and Boleyn? It looks like it was a public elementary or junior high but is closed now
    that would have been Arthur Junior High. I went there 71-72 on my way from St. Jude to Denby

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast