Native Americans plan Detroit River canoe crossing

DETROIT [[AP) -- Native Americans from the U.S. and Canada plan to cross the Detroit River between Michigan and Ontario in a flotilla of canoes that could halt shipping.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Alright, if yo click on the link, you'll find a story about a plan for a flotilla of 200 canoes to paddle from Belle Isle to Canada and back. I figure with 2 people per canoe, they are going to need at least 400 people.

The problem I see is that there is one heck of a current in that part of the river and to accomplish such a feat one wold have to be in pretty good shape. Not touch-football on the weekend shape, but half-marathon shape.

Now, maybe you can find a few folks who are in that kind of condition. Maybe a couple of hundred of folks could fit the bill, but that would be from polling the entire populace. white folk, black folk, asian, etc.

But with first nation people comprising a few thousand folks at best, I fear the canoes will be filled with future cpr candidates. I don't really see them pulling in 400 buff indians to pull this off.

Maybe I'm way off here, maybe I don't know enough about the local tribes and their fitness levels, but I just don't see this having a happy ending.