Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    I know there's really no comparison to the joy & hatred that the Woodward Dream Cruise evokes with people but the closest event that is this celebrated and disruptive in the SE Michigan area I can think of is the Ann Arbor Art Fair. Both events the streets are blocked off, throngs of people are there, lousy parking, and it's pretty much a pain in the butt to the locals that don't participate. Both events started off meager and now have grown to epic proportions.

The only difference I've noticed is that the A2 Art Fair doesn't have an obligatory thread to vent. There are some seriously cheesed off people about the Dream Cruise compared to the Art Fair.
    I wonder about the people that complain about the cruise.

Is it as bad as they say?

Not really.

Sure Woodward is jammed, but get a mile away, no big deal. A bit of common sense and no expectations of everything being just for you and anybody can live with it.

But the out of towners have to wonder. Here they come to spend some time and money in an area that is basically screwed.

And how are they welcomed?

With a bunch of self centered shitheads seemingly going out of their way to bitch about them. Not many, just a few loudmouth babies.

The Cruise isn't a golf tournament or an art fair or an ethnic festival. I don't go to any of those but sometimes those things pop up and cause my travels to be disrupted. I can deal with it.

There are far more people in the area embracing this than the whiners want to accept. Too bad.
    Last edited by BagAJellyDonuts; August-21-10 at 08:47 AM.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BagAJellyDonuts View Post
    I wonder about the people that complain about the cruise.

Is it as bad as they say?

Not really.

Sure Woodward is jammed, but get a mile away, no big deal. A bit of common sense and no expectations of everything being just for you and anybody can live with it.

But the out of towners have to wonder. Here they come to spend some time and money in an area that is basically screwed.

And how are they welcomed?

With a bunch of self centered shitheads seemingly going out of their way to bitch about them. Not many, just a few loudmouth babies.

The Cruise isn't a golf tournament or an art fair or an ethnic festival. I don't go to any of those but sometimes those things pop up and cause my travels to be disrupted. I can deal with it.

There are far more people in the area embracing this than the whiners want to accept. Too bad.

Truer words could not have been spoken. I don't care for the cruise at all so guess what? I don't go anywhere near the area.

I do however feel sorry for the people who live in the immediate area of the cruise and are inconvenienced by it but I am not going to sit in front of a computer and bitch and moan about it like some people [[who don't live anywhere near the cruise) do on here.

But I guess that is the DetroitYes way; bitch ad nauseum about things that you don't like. Especially when they are in the suburbs.

You don't see people in the suburbs bitching about the Jazz Fest, Comerica Cityfest [[when they had it), Hart Plaza fireworks, etc on here. Even though they disrupt some people's commutes to work they just deal with them.

It is only for a day or two. Get over it. Besides, the I thought the mantra of many of the complainers on here was that the suburbs are horrible places. That being said you would think that those who are complaining would be happy to have those rotten suburbs plagued with such a horror as the cruise.
    Last edited by DC48080; August-21-10 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Typographical error.

I like it ok. I went one year. Parking is a beast so I've just done the drive thrus, not really stopping...

There are work arounds for the slowed Woodward. Some folks stray off the beat and bring their cars into the city too.

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    I don't care for the cruise at all so guess what? I don't go anywhere near the area.
    Way to be proactive!

Isn't this a great day to go visit a relative in St. Clair Shores, Wyandotte, or Canton and have a meal together? I hear the DIA is open and the DFT is showing three great films today [[Father of my Children, Beach of Agnes and Abduction from the Seragalio), the African World Festival is happening down at Hart Plaza, it's a great day to take a cruise on the Detroit Princess Riverboat, there's a Restaurant Tasting Tour of Downtown Detroit at the Hard Rock Cafe, the Tony Lannen Quartet is playing at the ailing Baker's Keyboard Lounge, a great Jackson 5 display at the Historical Museum, there's a walking tour of Indian Village, and for the sports enthusiast- our Tigers are playing against the Tribe at Comerica Park.

So yes, the Cruise is happening but like any other weekend here in the area- there's a LOT more to do than just sit back, grouse and grumble about it. If cars aren't your thing- we have options.

Well said, DC and BagaJellydonuts. We have lots of choices in this region, but some feel as though they need to tell everybody that they are wrong and only their opinion is right. It has almost ruined the forum, and it seems to be getting worse.

It seems that we have a SMALL minority of people who think that they need to argue about and denigrate those who choose to do what they really like, and continue the sterotypical suburbs vs. Detroit argument, even when their thoughts don't pertain to the subject at hand. The "Pole" is one of the biggest complainers, and shows himself as a self righteous idiot in every post he writes. He says it all better than everyone, and wants you to know that if you don't agree with HIS mantra, you are a brown-noser[[?) and you make him sick. Clearly, he is so driven with his agenda, he can do it all and we are all peons.

Well "POLE", you and your divisive attitude clearly illustrate everything that is wrong with this region and you nauseate us much more than we nauseate you. Instead of hijacking this thread with your agenda, why don't you just start another one and leave this one to the topic at hand. I know that it is difficult for your miniscule mind to comprehend, so I expect that you will come out here and try another hijack, as you always do to try to bring forth your minority opinion without adding substance to the content of the thread in any way.

As for the cruise, I wish all those coming to the area well and that they have fun at their event. By the way, THE thing that made Detroit what it is is the freedom of INDIVIDUAL transportation, and providing cars to give those that freedom was what endeared us to the rest of the world, whether in the 20th century or not.

Some of those narrow minded people, as you refer to, are so locked into their ideals that they can't see the forest through the trees, but they will never back down on their stupid rhetoric, and have proven themselves, time and time again, to be whiners and nothing more.

DC48080 Guest

You are spot on in your assessment of "The Pole". He is one of a small minority of folks who like to thump their chests and proclaim to all "I live in the City of Detroit, therefore I am the coolest badass that ever lived. And all of you who live elsewhere suck as does anything outside of Detroit."

See his posts [[# 7 & 13) in this thread http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthread.php?t=6767 regarding Baker's where in his trademark self-rightous and foul-mouthed way he professes to know how to operate a bar better than the longtime owner of said bar. He further babbles on to say that if a jazz club is not located in Detroit proper it would not be authentic.

It is indeed people who have attitudes like his that are one of the many factors in holding the City of Detroit and the surrounding region back.

But don't despair folks, when the magic choo-choo train gets put in on Woodward everything will be super hunkey dorey again. Nobody will need cars. As a matter of fact maybe we can get the government to outlaw them and have them all destroyed. Wouldn't that be swell?

Yeah some think that's a grand idea -- to dispense with cars all together! Perhaps in the future only the ruling class elite will own cars. "They" will always have that which becomes unhealthy, un-necessary for the greater population [[smile).

I for one am not crazy about public transportation, especially any government eco-inferred, corralling and conveyance of the masses [[though I will ride buses and trains as needed).

I simply prefer the privacy of my own car to take me to specific areas at specific times without having to build in extra time. Or much extra walking. I guess that makes me an er-uh' "car" nut. And perhaps a bit selfish and lazy too...
    ....But don't despair folks, when the magic choo-choo train gets put in on Woodward everything will be super hunkey dorey again. Nobody will need cars. As a matter of fact maybe we can get the government to outlaw them and have them all destroyed. Wouldn't that be swell?
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-21-10 at 01:17 PM.

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I simply prefer the privacy of my own car to take me to specific areas at specific times without having to build in extra time. I guess that makes me an er-uh' "car" nut. And perhaps a bit selfish too...

No Zacha341, it does not make you selfish at all. It simply makes you somebody who wishes to enjoy the freedom that we are blessed with in this country. In this case, the freedom to control your own means of transportation.

I too have no interest in tailoring my daily activities to the schedule of a public conveyance and having to wait for such a conveyance in inclement weather.

But some people on here would rather regress to the late 1800s where everyone was dependant on public transit.

Yep... funny how in China for example they are coming around to allowing some of their population options such as the ownership of a car... and some here are decrying that we need to subscribe to public transportation happily. Some simply prefer to drive. I do, though I do less of it and try to combine my trips so as to save gas.
    No Zacha341, it does not make you selfish at all. It simply makes you somebody who wishes to enjoy the freedom that we are blessed with in this country. In this case, the freedom to control your own means of transportation.

I too have no interest in tailoring my daily activities to the schedule of a public conveyance and having to wait for such a conveyance in inclement weather.

But some people on here would rather regress to the late 1800s where everyone was dependant on public transit.

DC48080 Guest

The way some folks on this forum talk you would think a train in Detroit is the magic elixir that will revive the city. It was not because of a lack of public transit that people moved out of the city in droves.

The population loss started in the 1950s because people wanted to move to a place where they could live away from the polution of the city, with more yard space for their families and less crowded neighborhoods and schools. If public transit was so all important you would think folks might have stayed in the city which still had decent public transit back then.

Sure trains work in NYC which has approx 10 times the population of Detroit- http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcp/html/census/popcur.shtml There is simply nowhere to park a car in NYC and if you are fortunate enough to find a space you will pay through the nose for it.

Same goes for Paris- http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_th...ation_of_Paris . Today Paris has a higher population than the 1.8 million that Detroit had at its height in 1950. Further, the metropolitan area around Paris has approx 11M people versus the metro Detroit/tri-county pop. of 3.9M as of the 2000 census.

Just because trains work in other cities around the world doesn't mean that they will have the same impact on Detroit. Detroit is not NYC nor is Detroit Paris. Putting in the happy choo choo on Woodward is not going to suddenly make everything in the city all spiffy again.

Jeez, guys, DP was simply being a bit sore about some of the region's problems.

Not true, Fryar, he's been extremely vocal about how all us asshole suburbanites ought to just get out of HIS city and go back home.

The dude has no respect for anyone but himself, and has proven that statement in almost every one of his posts since coming to this site. You should read his other posts before defending him. He has clearly proven his disrespect for anyone's opoinions other than his own. Go check it out for yourself.

Complete coverage and tons of pictures from the last two days at Woodward. Enjoy!

Motor City Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    It's like Festivus, this is the annual Airing of Grievances.
    That has to be one of the most hilarious things I've ever read on this forum!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Supersport View Post
    Complete coverage and tons of pictures from the last two days at Woodward. Enjoy!

Motor City Muscle
    I have enjoyed your photos Supersport - looks like you had a great time!

I'm a bit of a car girl at heart, even if I don't do the Dream Cruise.

Supersport - that is one beautiful lookin' ride you've got there! Seeing the picture of the grille with the initials brought back many memories.

We went to the cruise for a few years in a row. Loved every minute of it. The burnouts were great when someone would dare to do it. If a cop was nearby - a ticket was handed out. More cash for the local economy!

Woodward is where we cruised in the 50s and 60s. No other avenue had the allure to us teenagers at the time. Kids from the east side of Metro Detroit could meet kids from the west side of Metro Detroit. Which is why the cruise is held on Woodward. That was THE place to see and be seen. We cruised the avenue - never did cruise the fairgrounds.

Eriedearie
    Proud supporter of the Woodward Dream Cruise
    May it live long and prosper

9mile&seneca Guest

It's like Festivus, this is the annual Airing of Grievances.

God, I wish I'd said that.

Just because trains work in other cities around the world doesn't mean that they will have the same impact on Detroit. Detroit is not NYC nor is Detroit Paris. Putting in the happy choo choo on Woodward is not going to suddenly make everything in the city all spiffy again.
    If it worked well for the city 50 years ago, and it did, it can work again. It's not that it didn't work is because they took them, it's because the auto corps said, "Hey, they aren't making us money, let's ruin people's lives by making them take a bus. Then they will see how horrible the bus is and buy a car."

The problem is not that simple. Many residents of the city and suburbs, however, don't have the luxury like you and most people here to afford to own a car. Or they, like you with public transit, don't want to own a car. Sure, they could probably afford it, but $250 a month for payment and then insurance, and then plate, tag, license fees. Then if you need repair, $500+ for that. Oil change every 3,000 miles. So what? $10,000 a year for a piece of metal that you will own no longer than 10 years then start all over again. It's nice to pay alot less for a monthly or yearly pass than have all those stupid fees.

I get it. Some people really like having a car. I'm one of them. Self-control. Road trips. It is sometimes fun. But let's face it. Detroit has barely prospered under complete auto control. Why do we keep thinking that building more cars will lead us into wealth? Wealth for who? Surely not everyone prospers.

Whether you like it or not, mass transit, and those "choo choo trains" are needed. If we every want to come just a foot closer to becoming NYC or Chicago or Toronto, we need mass transit, that includes a regional authority, efficient buses, those choo choo trains, bike friendly routes, commuter systems, and inter city high speed rail

It's over....

Just got back from one last cruise up Woodward...with a stop for ice cream at the Dairy Deluxe just north of 14 Mile Rd. We've officially said good-bye to this year's Dream Cruise. Looks like some are having some difficulty doing that...at 9:30 Sunday evening, Northwood Shopping Center was still hopping, although it appeared to be mostly the younger crowd with their tuner cars. Still we did see some nifty classics on the boulevard tonight, including a nice '58 Caddy!

Supersport: Nice to see you. Sorry we missed seeing your car...we walked up to B'ham and back and did not get back to Memorial Park until just after 7pm. But I did check out your photos...your car is a beauty!! We hope to see in the Cruise next August.

It's been a really nice week, especially Friday and Saturday. Despite the rain, we had a wonderful time meeting car owners and car lovers and friends and seeing some really awesome vehicles.

If you like looking at car photos, here's a link to MSN's coverage of the Dream Cruise: http://editorial.autos.msn.com/photo...0744&GT1=22026

SS, finally got that heap on the pavement did ya?

Actually it looks great but how is it running? Did you do anything else to the engine?

Quote Originally Posted by Supersport View Post

Motor City Muscle
    whoa....that car is seriously hot!! A girl could fall in love with a car like that

Goat,

I went from a beast of an engine with 513 hp to an engine with 650-700 hp this time around. I also have a nitrous kit that will be installed after I go with a stronger rear, likely a Ford 9 inch, and a few other changes to get the car track ready.

Wintersmommy,

This guy could fall in love with that car as well. Seriously, just yesterday as I was looking through the pictures I thought to myself "Damn, she's perfect!" The restoration I did over 10 years ago has really stood the test of time. The color, the stance, the powertrain, and the subtle body modifications still look good today. Hotrods/streetrods/and other toys are never really done, though all of my future plans amount to minor changes here and there, and for the most part, amount to just finishing up what I didn't have time/money to do this year. Thanks for the reminding me that the blood, sweat, and tears were worth it.

Great Looking Cars. If I had my own trailer, I would have hauled my T-Bird up there from Tn, and join you guys. I miss the car scene up there. Still have family there, and make it up every few years, but a little far for the Bird, since it will only run on E85.

Been a Gear Head for long time. As a kid, went to the drag strip up at 26 m and Gratiot, before it was called Motor City Dragway.

Still enjoy cars as much as I did back then.

http://members.tccoa.com/392bird/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4