Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by M CD M View Post
    Is the Fisher building still open to the public, for the ground floor at least?
    My mothers friend worked in the fisher back in the 1980's, and she said there were
    tunnels connecting the surrounding buildings. Are those still open or closed up?
    I've been around there 100's of times, but haven't gone inside yet.
    And i wanted to do so if still possible.
    It would be very worth it for you to drop inside. It is beautiful in there and one of the most beautiful interior architecture I have ever seen in my life. It is well worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by 56packman View Post
    There is an incredible amount of room above the "new" [[1961) ceiling, room almost as large as the current auditorium.
    The original Fisher was almost absurdly tall and appeared like a shoe box in photographs. I always thought that, as much as it was unique in it's Mayan style, I would have loved to have seen what C. Howard Crane's boy's could have done with the place...something akin to the Brooklyn Fox...sort of Deco Gothic or Rapp and Rapp's Aurora Paramount expanded with Loge and Balcony. All things being considered Rapp and Rapp's remodeling has held up far better than other theatre's of that era. I've always admired the smokey crystal wall sconces and chandeliers. I detest the "new" carpeting, but that is my own critique.

If the design had been more moderate it might have survived with little or no modifications---Remember, there were two other auditoriums planned for the completed complex---the Opera Symphony auditorium under what would have been the 70 story tower and another theater under the 3rd Avenue tower.

Does anyone know if AKA has any draft drawings or preliminary plans for the envisioned complex? I doubt there were any drawings past the conceptual but we can probably imagine that the lobby arcade would have followed similar design.
    Last edited by detroitbob; November-12-10 at 01:33 AM.

The tunnels are open half of the times. They are closed the other half of the times I love going in the place. More shops and boutiques would open especially in the tunnels if the rent was more reasonable. I love looking at the ceilings. I use to photograph the area before security had put a stop to it. I had taken pics of the lobby of the former GM Headquarters

detroitbob... the 3rd Ave part of the building would have [[as you already know) a virtual mirror image of the built Fisher Building. But I too would have loved to have seen some plans for the 70 story tower compex connecting the 2 wings.

I too am surprised that C. Howard Crane didn't get the commission for the theatre. Graven & Mayger were a new [[Rapp & Rapp offshoot) firm in Chicago... that only lasted 15 months [[1927-29) before dissolving their partnership. Of the 6 theatres they designed... the Fisher was their most exotic design.
    Last edited by Gistok; November-13-10 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Graven & Mayger were a new [[Rapp & Rapp offshoot) firm in Chicago... that only lasted 15 months [[1927-29) before dissolving their partnership. Of the 6 theatres they designed... the Fisher was their most exotic design.
    It appears some of the Graven and Mayger design molds from the Fisher were adapted for reuse by Agree in the Vanity Ballroom...

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Anyone care to guess what is on the inside of the tower, which, of course, is actually green? It's about 2 stories tall.
    An uncompleted bell tower? Just a guess to get you to tell us.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    . Anyone care to guess what is on the inside of the tower, which, of course, is actually green? It's about 2 stories tall.
    A scale model of the Fisher building?

Inside the "golden tower" is a two-story water tower that supplies the building's sprinkler system. At least that's what was in there in the 1970s. I haven't been climbing around the building since then, just visiting like non-employees.

Standing at the intersection of the two great halls my favorite place.

When I enter those immense vaults I sometimes get goose bumps. What is there not to like? Everywhere the eye travels is luxuriant beauty. Last week my gaze traveled down to big beautiful slabs of marble beneath my feet. One is encased in art. Nothing is left to chance.

Imagine if the Depression had not hit and all four towers had been built.

The Fisher exudes the confidence of 1920's Detroit in extreme, the richest city in the world fueled by its auto monopoly and as the dominant port of entry monopoly of the underground booze industry.

I don't know if they had acid in the 1920's but I would like to try some of of this artist's stash...

...and some of this interior architect's too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Standing at the intersection of the two great halls my favorite place.

When I enter those immense vaults I sometimes get goose bumps. What is there not to like? Everywhere the eye travels is luxuriant beauty. Last week my gaze traveled down to big beautiful slabs of marble beneath my feet. One is encased in art. Nothing is left to chance.

Imagine if the Depression had not hit and all four towers had been built.
    I am glad that the 70 story tall half of the Fisher wasnt built. More money were used in the exotic design of the only tower and the lobby of the Fisher building instead of being used on a taller tower minus the exotic details. Also, the Book Cadillac Hotel was originally designed to be 80 stories tall but the lack of funds had put a stop to that also

DC48080 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    I am glad that the 70 story tall half of the Fisher wasnt built. More money were used in the exotic design of the only tower and the lobby of the Fisher building instead of being used on a taller tower minus the exotic details. Also, the Book Cadillac Hotel was originally designed to be 80 stories tall but the lack of funds had put a stop to that also
    You are absolutely wrong on both of those statements. First of all, the Fisher Bldg was planned to be built in phases. What we have today was conceived and constructed BEFORE the Great Depression began. The current building would not have been any less elaborate if the rest of the plan had come to fruition.

Second, the Book Cadillac Hotel was never intended to be any taller than it is. It was a second Book Tower that was planned to be built in addition to the current 36 story tower that was to be 80 stories tall.

Quote Originally Posted by DC48080 View Post
    You are absolutely wrong on both of those statements. First of all, the Fisher Bldg was planned to be built in phases. What we have today was conceived and constructed BEFORE the Great Depression began. The current building would not have been any less elaborate if the rest of the plan had come to fruition.

Second, the Book Cadillac Hotel was never intended to be any taller than it is. It was a second Book Tower that was planned to be built in addition to the current 36 story tower that was to be 80 stories tall.
    Tell me what had stopped the other phases from being constructed?

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Tell me what had stopped the other phases from being constructed?
    The Great Depression.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2