Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Default What to do in Windsor

My friends and I are planning a day of cycling in Windsor. We are all from Michigan and have been to Windsor, but never to simply ride and explore. Are there any Windsorites here with suggestions as to where to go, what to see, where to get a beer, eat, etc?

A ride out to Malden Park via the Detroit River is a lot of fun [[good for mountain biking as well). Another nice ride is along the Ganatchio Trail on the far east side.

A bike ride along the river front from Hiram Walkers [[you can even go on a tour plus a free glass of whiskey for $8.00) to the Ambassador Bridge.

The Pour House on Chatham St E in downtown Windsor is a great place [[and patio) to have a beer [[great selection) and has great food as well.

Cycle around downtown and then go along the riverfront to Walkerville where you can take in some nice houses and architecture [[many Albert Kahn designs).

The Art Gallery is also on Riverside Dr. downtown as is the municipal museum on Pitt St [[also downtown).

Goat-

Is Colasantes [[sp?) Gardens still there? If so, it is not too far of a ride and is awesome if you like flora and that kind of stuff.

How about The Olde Fish Market? Is that still there? That used to be a pretty cool spot to have a great meal as well.

When I was a teen and you could still ride over the bridge on your bike, we used to go horseback riding out by Amherstburg, along what I believe was the route going toward Belle River? Forgive me if I don't have the directions right, but I can't remember the exact locations as it was a very long time ago, almost 40 years now, and things have probably changed a lot.

I do remember that there were quite a few places that told the history of Winsdsor and other areas surrounding it quite well right along Riverside, by the arena that is on the river there [[Mcsomething, maybe McCarren?). There were many small museum-esque buildings with a wealth of historical stuff as I recall.

Lastly, you could cruise out to Sandwich, which has a church that was the first stop to freedom on the Underground Railroad. While you are at it, you can check out Fort Malden as well.

I realize that this stuff isn't for everyone, but these are some great places to see if you like history.

Res

PlymouthRes,
    Colasanti's is still in Ruthven. It is about a 45 minute - 1 hour bike ride. It has changed greatly and they now have a larger "zoo" area and the food court is much larger. Plus they have a pretty neat indoor mini-golf course as well.

The Olde Fish Market is now a half-assed bar that I am not too fond off. But that little block on Chatham St. W is full of little restaurants and great bars.

As for the route to Amherstburg is it in the opposite direction of Bell River. Though Amherstburg is a great little town with relics from the war of 1812 [[Fort Malden). It is only about 30 minutes on bike.

The street you refer to by the old arena is McDougall.

Come by sometime and let me know [[Andrew as well) we could show people some pretty interesting places.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    PlymouthRes,
    Colasanti's is still in Ruthven. It is about a 45 minute - 1 hour bike ride.
    GOAT, are you sure about that? I remember Colasanti's as a 45 minute ride by car from Windsor.

Little Italy!!!!!!!!!!

It is 1/2 hour by car from where I live [[downtown). So depending on how fast you ride a bike I guess it might be a bit over an hour to ride there. As I was replying to PlymouthRes I wouldn't ride my bike there because there may be things to purchase. A car would be a much nicer way IMO.

My perfect evening in Windsor; Dinner at Tunnel BBQ, ribs and Canadian Beer. After dinner smoke on the river, purchased at Havana Heaven. Usually a Cuban Montecristo #2. Windsor Spitfire game at the WFCU, though I miss the old barn greatly. End the night with the Windsor Ballet.

there's apparently something like 64kms of bike trails in the city. Check out the city's website.....I'm pretty sure they have a map.
    Otherwise everything GOAT said works. You can also take the Chrysler Greenway out into the county if you don't [[for some reason) want the river. It's the old LE&DR or C&O right of way. You can bike from Windsor to Kingsville uniterupted.
    The Pour House is great as GOAT said. GOAT....is that the LOOP or POGO's you're talking about that you're not too fond of? POGO's is the one on the main floor, the LOOP on top and the Coach and Horse in the basement.

GOAT....you go out on photo drives with Andrew? If you do maybe shoot me a message sometime, I wouldn't mind taggin along.

Downriviera - can't go wrong with some Canadian sudds. That makes my day...well, everyday.
    Next time try some Sleiman Honey Brown Lager......ice cold.......mmmmmmmmmmmmmgoodness

Magnatomicflux,
    I don't like The Loop or Pogos [[Pogo's being the olde fish market). The Loop is nothing but hipster, university kids trying way to hard to be "alternative". How about "just being"? Pogo's is boring.
    The building however could be a great incubator for small shops. But until the slum lord does anything with it it will continue it's collapse by neglect.

I am sure taking photos won't be a problem. I will let you know for next time.

Well, it's not Windsor - but if you have a bike carrier - you could drive out to Harrow, and see the wind farm. Last count, I believe, there were over 30 structures. Some you can get really close to for great photos.

Park the car and bike around to the many wineries all around the region. Erie Shores Chardonnay is delightful. Have a sip or two; take a bottle home!

Harrow is a half-hour to 45 minute car ride from Windsor.