The law clearly states that you have a right to defend yourself if you feel that your life is being threatened. It is one of the first things you are taught in CCW classes, and, I believe it is a right granted to you in the Constitution. Those are also the "magic words" to deter your arrest after having shot someone in self defence. Again, it is the mantra that is driven into your head when you take the classes, and when you apply practice to that theory.

Remember, too, that juries that decide your guilt in such matters are human, too, so if you are articulate and honest enough to explain that in a logical way to them, your chances of being found not guilty are more than good. Believe it or not, there are situations where people ARE justified in protecting themselves, even if YOU don't like the fact that they can do so. The majority has spoken, and I make no apologies for those that think their minority opinion trumps those in the majority.

I will say this, though. The recent spate of gun crimes is being committed by those who are illegally in possession of weapons, not those who have been through training of any sort. I have had a CCW for over twenty five years, and have only cleared leather with my weapon on less than a dozen occassions, fearing DIRECTLY for my life, or the lives of those that I am with. Even though I have carried many different places throughout the SE Michigan region, I have managed to restrain myself, even in moments of extreme emotional turmoil, to those specific instances, as most other situations can be avoided by rational, methodical application of logic, not emotion.

Hope I was a bit more clear this time around.

Res