Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Given the massive buying up of property that's been going on for the last few years, is anyone surprised by this good news?
    I'm sure that the folks in Auburn Hills will find some use for the Palace, those suburban leaders like Brooks are always boasting about how "innovative" they are out there.

DetroitDad Guest

Lowell's choice is interesting, but does it maximize the value of other property they own in the area? I wounder how much they would get from selling development rights after an official announcement.
    Last edited by DetroitDad; August-09-10 at 10:48 PM. Reason: wording

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    I laughed real hard at this. I hadn't had a Little Caesars Pizza in over a year. Picked on up today and it still tasted like sh!t. I probably still buy one again......
    You know, the pizza is not very good. But convenience and price win out. Where else can you walk into a pizza place and walk out with a pizza in less than a minute? The model has devolved into this, but it is what it is. And obviously profitable.
    Last edited by Stosh; August-09-10 at 11:36 PM.

Blarf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    The Harbor Lights bldg can be knocked down and the blight can be removed.
    Yes, because the city hasn't knocked down enough buildings already.

Mr. ILLITCH. PLEASE CALL MR. FORD FIRST.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Widow Davidson doesnt seem to be too business savvy.....

Widow, eh?? Lots of cash, eh? I think I'm going to take a run at her... anyone object?

wasn't she the "trophy wife"...?

Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    You know, the pizza is not very good. But convenience and price win out. Where else can you walk into a pizza place and walk out with a pizza in less than a minute? The model has devolved into this, but it is what it is. And obviously profitable.
    Exactly. Although I will always spend a little extra for the crazy bread.

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    Mr. ILLITCH. PLEASE CALL MR. FORD FIRST.
    I think that will be the second call. Give it a couple more years. BTW , I agree Ceasers pizza is horrible. Only good for when you are in a hurry.

Here is my issue with the whole thing...

First of all if Illitch would then own the broadcast rights to the Tigers, Pistons and Wings. He would probably start his own television network, and force every cable or satellite television provider in the region to carry his channel.

This means if you have Comcast or Directv, your bill is going to go up. If you have DISH Network, you would probably not be able to get the channel because Illitch will demand too much money.

I work for DISH Network, and we don't carry the Yes network in NY for the Yankees games for this very reason...

The second issue I have is that Mike Illitch is 80 years old. I hope he lives a long life, but if something where to happen to him we are going to be in the same position as we are with the Pistons. Instead of just the Pistons going to crap this time, it will be the Tigers, Wings and Pistons that go to crap.

Only positive I can get from all of this is that I want the Pistons back in Detroit, and Illitch will spend the money to make them a winning team again

Claude, trust me when I say the Illitch family has their shit locked down, and will be for another one if not two generations to come.

Mike Illitch passing will just be a blip on their holdings....and besides IMHO Marian is running that show more than he is, and always has been.

Claude, trust me when I say the Illitch family has their shit locked down, and will be for another one if not two generations to come.

Mike Illitch passing will just be a blip on their holdings....and besides IMHO Marian is running that show more than he is, and always has been.
    Absolutely correct!!! Marion is the power behind the throne, and always has been. She'll likely outlive Mike by a decade, and will be Michigan's most powerful businesswoman for some time to come.

I have to agree. The Ilitches have their children running the empire already. Bill Davidson was a businessman that made billions but he didn't have a succession plan when it came to his empire. He has a son and daughter yet neither one stepped up to continue managing the family holdings. I read somewhere where Davidson had said that the team would remain with the family after he goes. He made the mistake thinking his wife would hold it down for him. He was wrong.

Another gem from the genius Freep posters:

Quote Originally Posted by Moronic Freep Poster
    merchantilist wrote:
    Say no to subsidies[[i.e, government financed areenas ) to rich owners, rich managers and rich players.
    These changes such as moves from Southfield to downtown [[Blue Cross), From Pontiac [[Siverdome) to Downtown and the Palace of Downtown are not huge gains for the metro area but just transfers of activities. Many of these moves such as Compuware happen with huge tax breaks [[a subsidy). Many involve the abandonment or underutilization of the structures previously occuppied. Look at what the Silverdome sold for several years after the Fords[[william Clay and Bill) abandoned Pontiac. Too bad those downtown boosters can't find some out of the metro area business to relocate there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moronic Freep Poster #2
    RecordKeeper wrote:
    Moving the team downtown would be another shell game a la Dan Gilbert. Gilbert took 1700 jobs out of Livonia and left them with an empty business complex and an even bigger tax hole to fill. Abandoning one of the best facilities in the NBA - which was recently renovated - makes absolutely no sense. I hope L. Brooks turns the screws on the Ilitches.
    Yes, it is not cool for Detroit to poach from the Metro area. Detroit needs to find out of Metro businesses to court. Yet, to these posters it is fine and dandy to poach Detroit for businesses. I mean, after all, Detroit really sucks, we're just doing the business a favor by rescuing them out of Detroit.

Even though I post these funny comments, I am absolutely shocked that most Freep commenters view this as a positive move. Maybe the attitude in the Metro is changing for the better?
    Last edited by Crumbled_pavement; August-10-10 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Another gem from the genius Freep posters:

Yes, it is not cool for Detroit to pouch from the Metro area. Detroit needs to find out of Metro businesses to court. Yet, to these posters it is fine and dandy to pouch Detroit for businesses. I mean, after all, Detroit really sucks, we're just doing the business a favor by rescuing them out of Detroit.

Even though I post these funny comments, I am absolutely shocked that most Freep commenters view this as a positive move. Maybe the attitude in the Metro is changing for the better?
    Ony fitting that a moronic Freep poster would suggest that L. Brooks Patterson would have the means to screw the Ilitches.

Quote Originally Posted by marcwigle View Post
    I don't mean to be negative but why do people who love Detroit so much, not live in the city? To me, it's a little self-serving... OK, I guess I'm being negative.
    Hmmm. Just a guess, but maybe Detroit being one of the more violent places in western civilization has something to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    I would say she's VERY business savvy. From what I heard earlier, there's some estate tax thing that would slap her senseless if she doesn't try to sell some of this stuff by year's end.

And quite honestly, she's going to have more money than she knows what to do with. Her heart just isn't into running a team like her late husband, Bill. Why hang onto something one has no conviction with other than to possibly "safeguard" the memory of your husband?
    there is no estate tax issue that is going to slap her senseless. He died in 2009. Uncle Sam has already gotten his bite.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    there is no estate tax issue that is going to slap her senseless. He died in 2009. Uncle Sam has already gotten his bite.
    I agree. She wants to sell the team because she don't want to be bothered with the day to day and instead live the life of a multi-millionairess.

Quote Originally Posted by artds View Post
    Hmmm. Just a guess, but maybe Detroit being one of the more violent places in western civilization has something to do with it.
    Ever been to Baltimore, DC, NYC, Chicago, Miami???

Not saying Detroit is perfect, but seriously, don't be a moran

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post

have you? Seriously, Detroit is like those places....except without the things that make them functional and desirable places to live.

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post

On a per capita basis, those places are all VASTLY more livable and safe than Detroit. Detroit has, what, three or four OK neighborhoods? And a few more that are teetering on the brink? The rest of the city proper is either abandoned wasteland or the "hood."

Not everyone wants to be an urban pioneer and risk life and/or property by living in an "up and coming" neighborhood, sticking it out for a decade or more while the area improves [[or not). Some people want their walkable streets, their reasonable police response, their nice neighbors with their well-kept houses, their rapid transit system, their good schools, and their nearby retail, NOW.

Okay here is the scoop....I have friends in places that know of these things......this is the last year the Wings will play at the Joe....repairs to the ice area of the Palace will be repaired and the Wings will play 3 years in Auburn Hills until the new Wings/Piston stadium will be built on the property behind the Fox. You heard it here first......

Quote Originally Posted by Searay215 View Post
    Okay here is the scoop....I have friends in places that know of these things......this is the last year the Wings will play at the Joe....repairs to the ice area of the Palace will be repaired and the Wings will play 3 years in Auburn Hills until the new Wings/Piston stadium will be built on the property behind the Fox. You heard it here first......
    Where is the 400 million for the stadium coming from?

I think that Michael Rosenberg hit this on the head in his analysis in today's Free Press. Buying the Pistons gives the Illitches more time to decide how to proceed. Don't be surprised to see the Wings play in Auburn Hills until a new stadium is built [[and if a new stadium is built with taxpayer's dollars). The Palace is a state-of-the-art facility that would give the Illitches no time crunch to move their team out. In fact, let's face it, the only team that "needs" the new stadium is the Wings, the Pistons could play in the Palace another 20 years at least.

As for the argument the Silverdome is going to get all this trafic, I'm not sure I agree. People who live in the suburbs especially are in no hurry to pack their family for the day and go see something in Pontiac when the Palace is in such a nice location. Beyond that, the Silverdome just isn't as nice for concerts and such as the Palace has been. The Palace is one of the most premier entertainment venues for large concerts in the area. The Silverdome is dated, old, and ugly... and in Pontiac.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Where is the 400 million for the stadium coming from?
    Never said I knew where the money was coming from only the facts as those in the KNOW told me....as FACT!!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast