Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Thread: Seva in Detroit

Hybrid View

Default Seva in Detroit

Anyone heard any news on Seva's Detroit location. It was announced with surprisingly little fanfare a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by buildingsofdetroit View Post
    Anyone heard any news on Seva's Detroit location. It was announced with surprisingly little fanfare a few months ago.
    Seva as in the vegetarian restaurant? i haven't heard a thing about this. if so, awesome news!

Yeah, I hope this Ann Arbor transplant goes better than the Mercurial Coffee Bar.

gravitymachine Guest

i'm skeptical, though i'm hoping to be proven wrong...

what's your source for the announcement? I heard nothing.

It was mentioned in passing about a development in Midtown. I want to say it was on ModelD. I'm wondering if it has something to do with that construction just south of Alexandrine on Woodward. Certainly I'm not the only person who read about this, am I?

This would add to many vegetarian and vegan options in Detroit, at least in the greater downtown area at least. Also, this would be on the higher end scale. I think there is definatly a large and growing market of vegetarians both in Detroit and in general.

Fucking. Awesome.

Not in Model D, or at least it doesn't show up on any search. Can't find any mention of it on the internet. This might have been a wishful dream. I'd love to have a Seva or Seva-like restaurant downtown too, or at least someone to try another shot at the Karmic Cafe concept.

I was a cook at Seva in college. I'm not a vegetarian, but most of their menu items were really good. Their tempeh fajitas and tempeh burgers were awesome. The place is a little pricey, but worth it.

And their AWESOME butternut squash soup, which I've been eating since they opened and have turned dozens of people on to, is worth a trip to their place in itself. That doesn't even touch on all the other goodies they make. I would think it would be a great draw in Detroit, especially considering the minimal vegetarian/vegan options in the D. Gdub, if you cooked at Seva, I immediately have great respect for you. What years were you there? Are you still cooking professionally?

I went to Seva pretty regularly in the 70s and 80s and kind of quit just from inertia. Went back a few weeks ago and was delighted to find it little changed, same stained glass, same wonderful food, same ambience. I miss the market they had, though. I really hope they can open up here in midtown, that would be a lot easier to get to often.

I hope it is true. When I was a grad student at U-M I used to eat there all the time. If it is true I hope they put it in Midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    I hope it is true. When I was a grad student at U-M I used to eat there all the time. If it is true I hope they put it in Midtown.
    It is going to be in Midtown, taking multiple commercial spaces on the East side of the N'Namdi Art Center off of Garfield between Woodward and John R. I walk by it almost daily to watch the build out. They are going to have a nice open air patio on the green walkway that links Forest to Garfield.

I think this would be a good addition to Midtown.

I lived in Ann Arbor for about 6 years and all of my roommates at the time were vegan. I think we ate at Seva twice in that entire time. Both times I thought the food was decent, but I think the draw is more "touristy". It works in a college town. Hopefully it'll work for Midtown.

I heard about this several years ago as -- like many -- a grad student at Michigan. They said it was just a matter of time. It's nice to be in town for the grand opening!

I liked their sweet potato fries back when I lived in AA

From the Detroit News a few days ago. There is also another thread about this article:

http://detnews.com/article/20110805/...hop-in-Detroit

"The N'Namdi space has imported two other businesses to Detroit — one is a yoga operator based in Birmingham and the other is the Ann Arbor vegetarian Seva Restaurant, which is still building out its space"

bump the detroit location is open

https://www.facebook.com/eatitdetroi...a/358988467512

There is a sign on the side of the building on E Forest, you can see it from Woodward.