Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: 2010 Redwings

I thought it was a great series. The fact that the Wings came back from being down three games, and to force a game seven - that kept me very entertained and anxiously waiting for the next game to begin.

Quote Originally Posted by thnk2mch View Post
    I thought it was a great series. The fact that the Wings came back from being down three games, and to force a game seven - that kept me very entertained and anxiously waiting for the next game to begin.
    And y'know what? That's what sports is supposed to do. It's meant to entertain and keep us enthralled. It's not life or death struggles here but it sure was compelling to see our Wings on the verge of elimination come back to make it a one game playoff. They nearly pulled it off too!

As much as I loved it when the Wings won the Cup, we're not pre-destined to win it every year. Think about the joy and celebration those Game 7 ticket holders in San Jose felt. They must've been as jubilant as we were sad after that game. But someone's got to win and someone has to lose; unfortunately we were on the shorter end of the ledger this time around.

But as fans, we'll still be loyal, dedicated and wanting more next year.

It was a great season, capped off with some of the most dramatic hockey that I've seen in a long while. Cheers to the Wings and let's get back to bringing the Cup back here to Detroit soon.

Quote Originally Posted by smogboy View Post
    As much as I loved it when the Wings won the Cup, we're not pre-destined to win it every year. Think about the joy and celebration those Game 7 ticket holders in San Jose felt. They must've been as jubilant as we were sad after that game. But someone's got to win and someone has to lose; unfortunately we were on the shorter end of the ledger this time around.

But as fans, we'll still be loyal, dedicated and wanting more next year.
    Sorry smogboy, as a long time Red Wings' fan I wanted the San Jose fans to feel despair and sadness after game 7 and am disappointed that they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    Sorry smogboy, as a long time Red Wings' fan I wanted the San Jose fans to feel despair and sadness after game 7 and am disappointed that they didn't.
    I can respect the fact that you want our boys to win it every year and the Cup never leave the state but its hardly realistic. Be thankful that the Wings have had such an illustrious run over the years. Other cities haven't been so lucky- so rather than be greedy, be thankful and realistic.

I, for one am proud of all of the accomplishments big and small.

San Jose and their fans may feel a tad in the dumps being behind 3 games to 1 and face elimination tomorrow night in Vancouver . hehehe Lets see , 20 straight years in the playoffs , 4 Stanley Cups recently , 11 straight season with 100 or more points [[NHL record ) the top selling logo of any pro sport. Nobody wants to play us in either the regular season or playoffs lol
    On a side note Brian Rafalski will probably announce his retirement this week , and in other news reliable sources say if the sale of the Atlanta Thrashers goes through this week [[or soon) the team may be moved to Winnipeg [[ from the East to the West ) which will leave the Eastern Conference one team short . Will we be moved to the East ? Hard to say , but its been said that Gary Buttman has said we are next . The reason why we haven't moved to the East by now is that with all these expansion teams , the Wings put people in the seats wherever we play .

note : most Wings fans and ownership would like to see us in the East [[bus trip Conference) , that would make 5 of 6 original 6 teams in the same Conference . Just imagine , very few late games .
    Last edited by Wingnatic; May-23-11 at 07:22 PM.

This is our best shot at moving into the Eastern Conference with the Thrashers being sold and moving to Winnipeg , if we do it won't happen until the soonest 2012-2013 season . I've seen talk of Nashville moving instead of us , if you look at a map we are closer to the bus trip Conference . We put fans in the seats where ever we go , but shouldn't be penalized by Gary Buttman's experiment for putting teams in NASCAR country . Whats everyone else think about moving to the East ?

In other Red Wings news other than Michigan native Brian Rafalski's retirement , Wings announcer Mickey Redmond has been elected to the HHOF [[Hockey Hall Of Fame ) WTG Mick !

Just not the way he thought he might many years ago.
    The former Red Wings player is going in as a Foster Hewitt Award winner, in recognition of his outstanding contributions in 32 years of broadcasting.
    "This completely surprised me," Redmond said Thursday afternoon from Traverse City. "It's quite an honor. I've been blessed."
    Redmond had his playing career abruptly cut short because of a back surgery. Then he began a career as one of the best hockey color analysts in the business.
    Redmond, 63, has been a broadcaster since 1979, beginning with ON Detroit, doing Red Wings games. He then went to Hockey Night In Canada [[1980-85), and has been with the Red Wings since 1986 [[with brief stints on ESPN early during that span).
    "All these years, I've never met a bad person," Redmond said. "I've been so fortunate to work with some of the best ever [[Dick Irvin, Danny Gallavin, Bob Cole, Dan Kelly, Mike Emerick).
    "[[The broadcasting) just came about because of the injury."
    Redmond has spent the last 15 seasons with the Wings alongside Ken Daniels.
    "We have the best seat in the house," Redmond said. "It doesn't get any better. It's been a great relationship."
    Said Daniels of Redmond: "The best [[partner) I could ever ask for. You listen to Mickey from the very first night he started broadcasting, you listen to the classic Hockey Night In Canada broadcasts, and he hasn't changed. He was a natural from the start."
    Redmond has had two battles with lung cancer in recent seasons but said he's feeling fine.
    "I'm doing good," he said. "I monitor it closely. Every day when I wake up and my feet hit the floor, it's a good day."
    Redmond will be recognized during a luncheon on Nov. 14 during Hall of Fame Induction Weekend in Toronto.

Congrats to Mickey. I expect he went out and had a ginger ale to celebrate.

My guess is that Columbus or Nashville moves to the east.

I love the fact that Atlanta has lost it's 2nd team to Canada! Now, if only a few more teams south of the Mason-Dixion line would move north...

I think it's absolutly crazy to move Nashville, a city in the Central Time Zone, to the Eastern Con. rather than Detroit, which is in the Eastern Time Zone. Only an idiot with no clue about hockey like Bettman would even consider such a move. The only reason the Wings have to waste more money on traval time than any other team is because they help prop up shitty hockey markets like Arizona and California where Red Wings fans typically outnumber fans of the home team.

One rumor I heard today on the radio was that Bettman wants to wait until next year to make any Conference moves because the Coyote's might be heading to Quebec City, and then those two can just swap places.

Bingo Bango! Way to go Mick. And a big BC twohander to Bettman.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    I love the fact that Atlanta has lost it's 2nd team to Canada! Now, if only a few more teams south of the Mason-Dixion line would move north...

I think it's absolutly crazy to move Nashville, a city in the Central Time Zone, to the Eastern Con. rather than Detroit, which is in the Eastern Time Zone. Only an idiot with no clue about hockey like Bettman would even consider such a move. The only reason the Wings have to waste more money on traval time than any other team is because they help prop up shitty hockey markets like Arizona and California where Red Wings fans typically outnumber fans of the home team.

One rumor I heard today on the radio was that Bettman wants to wait until next year to make any Conference moves because the Coyote's might be heading to Quebec City, and then those two can just swap places.
    That tool has no regard for the history of the league. I get the fact that it's partially his job to grow the league but at what expense? He knows that Detroit will always be a draw wherever they play. He's just parading us around the West to help with their ill-fated teams out there. In the mean time, we Detroit fans here have to watch multiple games of our team taking on the likes of newbies to the league like Columbus and Nashville. We should be watching our Wings taking on Boston, Toronto, Montreal, NYRangers and even re-developing the rivalries against Pittsburgh again.

What better for the NHL than to see the Wings taking on the likes of Crosby & Malkin? Let's see Datsyuk and Ovechkin go head-to-head skill wise if we could play Washington more than once a year?

Detroit, unabashedly is one of the NHL's premier teams and for us to get passed around the league like a circus sideshow for people to see by Bettman is a crime.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6