Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Redwings

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I too was wondering why we're not commenting about the Wings. They're on fire right now. I wish the playoffs could start tomorrow. Whats with Hudler?
    "Hudler has six points [[one goal, five assists) in 24 games. He's also a team-worse minus-8."

From The Detroit News.

Reading between the secretive lines of Babcock-spriech, one can only assume that the youngster has a terrible shoulder injury. But who knows? Hell, he might've blown out his ankle or knee. In any case, I'm sure that the Wings are doing everything and anything they can to get the kid healed-up and back in the + zone of the +/-. BTW, think I'm gonna check up on Paul Coffey and see what he's doing these days.

good article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Coffey
    Last edited by ggores; December-12-10 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I too was wondering why we're not commenting about the Wings. They're on fire right now. I wish the playoffs could start tomorrow. Whats with Hudler?
    Sorry, I was just trying to fan the smoke from your last win against the Habs...

I was bummed when they re signed Hudler. He had a nice gritty Stanley cup run the year we one it but hasnt shown any of those traits since. Since he left us for Europe I figured we would never want anything to do with him again. To slow.
    Between Hudler and Draper I'm not sure who we play.

Draper.

Draper is a Redwing.

Quote Originally Posted by thnk2mch View Post
    Draper.

Draper is a Redwing.
    No kidding, I said. "Between Hudler and Draper I'm not sure who we play. "
    Tonight Hudler plays and Draper sits, at least according to WWJ.

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    No kidding, I said. "Between Hudler and Draper I'm not sure who we play. "
    Tonight Hudler plays and Draper sits, at least according to WWJ.
    I guess that didn't come out right.

Draper is and always will be a true "Redwing"

Hudler jumped ship for nothing more than $$$, and that didn't pan out, so here he is. He is just another hockey player to me.

I would rather see Draper play.

Maybe Draper should have played last night, we got ours butts kicked. Worst game of the year. Perhaps we should have left the thread alone.
    I agree with Thnk2mch, Hudler sold out and then we bailed him out.

Thumbs up

Congratulations to Nick Lidstrom on his first hat trick of his NHL career.

I 2nd that
    When I heard this last night I thought they meant first of the year. I had no clue he never had one before.

When I played in juniors we would really give the business to a teammate who scored his third goal of the game on an empty netter. Most guys would try to pass off if possible to avoid the ridicule. I bet Nick took some abuse behind closed doors, all in good fun.

Hey guys,

I often gripe about the lack of media coverage and fan posting of the Red Wings here and throughout Detroit. It's sad that I could turn on 97.1 and have a 95% chance of hearing about the Lions, Pistons or U-M. Rest assure we have millions of fans across the country. Just look into the stands of any away game. And the stickers on cars and hats and jackets are enough to remind you that the detroit fanbase is aware that the wings are ripping it up once again. Plus, this has never been an active board for wings fans, but hey........ maybe we can get it going.

BTW- went to the Habs game last week and you wouldn't believe the amount of fans of Montreal. It's my second Montreal game in two years and that group of fans shows up every time. Had to be 60/40 wings/habs jerseys. Cripes!

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    Hey guys,

I often gripe about the lack of media coverage and fan posting of the Red Wings here and throughout Detroit. It's sad that I could turn on 97.1 and have a 95% chance of hearing about the Lions, Pistons or U-M. Rest assure we have millions of fans across the country. Just look into the stands of any away game. And the stickers on cars and hats and jackets are enough to remind you that the detroit fanbase is aware that the wings are ripping it up once again. Plus, this has never been an active board for wings fans, but hey........ maybe we can get it going.

BTW- went to the Habs game last week and you wouldn't believe the amount of fans of Montreal. It's my second Montreal game in two years and that group of fans shows up every time. Had to be 60/40 wings/habs jerseys. Cripes!
    If you want to see serious rabid hockey fans, go attend a game at the Bell Centre. Those Habs fans are insane before, during and after the games. There's singing in the stands, wild raucous cheering for no apparent reason, and just a great time to be had there. I went there years ago and went to see a Hurricane vs. Canadiens match and was just blown away by the festive nature of the crowds. It was a game early in the season so it wasn't like it had playoff implications nor was it against a long storied rival. It was just one of the 41 homes games on the docket and the stadium was electric.

I still love the Wings and attend as many games as I can but our fans here at the Joe can't hold a candle to the Habs masses with regards to having a good time. I know we're loyal to a fault [[I even suffered through the Darkness with Harkness era) and will cheer them on, but we're so calm about it at the games. I watch on television some of the away games and it seems as though the Wings faithful abroad are much more enthusiastic than the crowds we have here at home. It's not that they care more but they seem to be more vocal about the team that I think we almost take for granted.

And we really shouldn't. We've got some amazing players here that are sure fire Hall of Famers and we should be taking them in during their prime. We're always a team to be contended with come playoff time and we're always the team others use as a barometer. Every year we always have someone winning an award, whether it was Lidstrom and the numerous Norris Trophies, Datsyuk with the Selke or Byng, or numerous other pieces of hardware. Our team's long history is something that not too many other teams can boast. Out of all the other hockey arenas I've been to, only the Habs have more Stanley Cup banners hanging in their rafters.

We really should embrace this team. We embraced them when they were making the Cup runs, held prayers for them during the horrific auto accident, and we really should be enjoying the fact that we're still a top notch contender in this salary capped era. They've built a winner here and we really shouldn't be taking for granted OUR own team.

I've been to games in Montreal and you're absolutely correct, the fans there are wild. And believe it or not, I've been to games in LA and they have a core group of loud fans that put us to shame. I think part of it has do with the corporate casual fans in the lower bowl at the Joe, as the upper bowl is louder. Last time I sat in the lower bowl a group in front of me wasn't even watching the game, sipping their cocktails and talking. Then during a Wings power play they all got up to go to the Olympia Room and I missed seeing a goal. I lived through the Darkness With Harkness days also. My fathers employer had season tickets but no one ever wanted to use them so we always went. There were so few people at those games we got to know just about everyone on a first name basis. I think back to those teams, horrible special teams, terrible goaltending, no puck control and even worse passing. Todays team amazes me every time I watch them. My out of town friends hate us because we have been so dominant. We are truly spoiled.

Crap. Now Pavel Datsyuk is gonna be out for a spell with a broken wrist/hand.

Seriously I think this guy is an absolute magician on the ice. He's one of those few hockey players that just make me sit at the edge of my seat whether I'm at the Joe or at home. Seeing what he does with the puck at full speed against his competition is amazing. He can just outright embarrass an opponent with the subtle moves and spin them into the ice.

And now we'll be without him for a few weeks as he mends. I'm hoping that the Wings can still fight and hold the commanding lead like they have been. I don't need to see this team decimated by injuries like they were last year; they've got what it takes to go deep in the Playoffs barring any long term injuries.

Everyone in the NHL talks about Pavel lol We won last night without him , our boys knew they had to step it up and they did . We're a better team with him on the ice though . Look at what we did last year with what 8 regulars out long term ?

Ozzie, Ozzie, Ozzie. What a game. No Datsuyk, no Cleary, no Rafalski. Playing a young fast Avs team after playing last night and then traveling. Special teams were awesome, 4 for six on the pp and 6 of 7 kills on the pk. Congrats to Osgood on #400. I'm very impressed with this team.
    Last edited by Downriviera; December-28-10 at 06:49 AM.

Congrats Ozzie!
    now go back to the bench

Quote Originally Posted by kenp View Post
    Congrats Ozzie!
    now go back to the bench
    Heard this a couple times now. Congrats Ozzie!

Thumbs up

Congratulations to Osgood, indeed.

With 46 saves last night, number 400 was not exactly handed to him.

A strong game tonight by the wings. Can anyone say secondary scoring? WTG Patrick Eaves! It seems hat tricks are on the cheap these days. First Lidstrom, now Eaves? Who's next........ Salei? Just joshin' around. But really.....

Kudos to the Red Wings on a strong W vs. a hot Dallas team. Especially when we're missing D, Cleary and Mike Mo. Injury bug is creepin', but so is our lead in the West.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    A strong game tonight by the wings. Can anyone say secondary scoring? WTG Patrick Eaves! It seems hat tricks are on the cheap these days. First Lidstrom, now Eaves? Who's next........ Salei? Just joshin' around. But really.....

Kudos to the Red Wings on a strong W vs. a hot Dallas team. Especially when we're missing D, Cleary and Mike Mo. Injury bug is creepin', but so is our lead in the West.
    Curly fries for all! It's nice to see Eaves net a few goals. I personally really dig the collective effort that the team is displaying. This bunch is really coming together in the wake of those injuries.

One other thing that I seem to notice this bunch doing more of is that there isn't a huge separation between the defense and the forwards. They rush back to play defensively as a unit and surge forward as a unit. There doesn't seem to be any of this "Bah- it's their responsibility now" attitude and the five skaters out there really do move in concert. It's really evident by how much scoring we've been getting from our defensemen; Lidstrom netted one tonight and Brad Stuart even gets the game winner.

And on a goofy note, it's nice to see Jimmy Howard get his first point/ assist of the year on the last Eaves goal.

Dats out, Clears out, no problem. Huds is off the snide and Eaves decides to snipe a few alongside his checking duties. We pounded the Stars and they're a good solid team at home. Did I say I'm impressed with this team? Thanks for the reminder on the curly fries, printing out the box score now.

Tom Kostopoulos has seriously got to be suspended for his hit on Brad Stuart. I was watching that game and he took a blind side hit to the head that broke his jaw. For all that, all he got was a two minute penalty in the box; maybe the referees missed it but the league needs to look at the videotape of the incident and come down on hard for shots like that. Tom Kostopoulos could've easily played the body hard in that instance but instead went upstairs. And even from a player's perspective intent on making a hard hit- a rocking body shot is so much more effective than a cheap head shot. Not cool and it should never be allowed EVER in the game.

We got the victory in the shoot out but I'm sure Brad Stuart's going to be feeling it for awhile. Jakub Kindl's probably hauling butt out to the coast right now to hopefully fill Stuart's role on this road trip. We're slowly getting depleted now and if they somehow can manage anything against the surging Canucks the next game, it'll be an accomplishment.

If the league does not step in with a long suspension, then the players will have to handle it like Bertuzzi did with Moore after he knocked out Marcus Naslund. That was a deliberate attempt to injure, he lined him up and went right for his head. In the old days Kostopoulos would have been pummeled immediately. This is what happens when you don't have an enforcer in the lineup.

In the old days hits such as these wouldn't have happened , and if it did happen the refs would let the players settle it amongst themselves . I miss those days lol I think
    Tom Kostopoulos may be a repeat offender and has been suspended before . The way the new NHL rules are that even if the refs totally missed the call and he didn't get a penalty , the NHL will look at the video and its still subject to a suspension . It was a classic blindside headshot for sure . Good news is that we are still winning games , even though I'd like to see our D tighten up a bit

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast