Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The last time I was at Carl's was also in the late 90's. The relish tray was delivered and I reached for a pepperocini and to my dismay it had already been half eaten. Thirty seconds later the valet was retreiving my car. Ten seconds to give hell to the waiter. Ten seconds to give hell to the maitre d' and ten seconds to walk out the door.

It's a very big building for a restaurant. I assume that there was more to it? Banquet halls, etc? Looks like it had 2 and 3 stories and a basement? Was the basement for storage only?

Well, the only time I'd ever eaten there was in 2005 or 2006, and I thought it was great. It was very odd though when we walked it. I didn't know if the place was open for business. Including us there were only 4 tables seated. My future wife and I both ordered steaks and they were fantastic. I'm just happy to say that I ate at a landmark like Carls.

90% of what was taken is probably at the used restaurant equipment places on Gratiot. Kitchen equipment, tables and stack chairs aren't taken by nonferrous metal scrappers because they're iron-based and have more value as-is. The dead giveaway is the removal of some of the booths, which contain no materials of value [[they're typically wood/particleboard and vinyl).

And also understand that the disappearance of restaurant equipment from a closed place is not usually cause for alarm. It's expensive, it has a high resale value, it's basically technology-proof. Many defaulting owners steal it from their own places as they leave. It's hard to get financing and hard to stay in business.

The general scrapping thing, though, is cause for alarm. Part of this had to be done during daylight hours. If police don't want to be confrontational, why not just boot or take the plate numbers of vehicles of scrappers?

Although Carl's quality had gone down in recent years, the restaurant was a real treat in its heyday. I dined there over ten times between 1965 and 2000 and never had a bad meal or service. I especially liked the filet mignon, live lobsters you picked from a tank before they were cooked, tender short ribs, Potatoes O'Brian, excellent "creamed roquefort dressing" for the house salad, and the relish tray, which included a shrimp for each person at the table along with olives, pickles, green onions and more. Great memories!
    Last edited by thomprod; August-11-10 at 04:54 PM. Reason: typo

The Detroit News did an excellent writeup on Carl's: http://detnews.com/article/20100812/...e-to-vandalism

So sad another D-institution is gone... we enjoyed steaks at Carl's in the 60s...can recall those little herring slices on the appetizer tray...last ate there in '73...Dad worried when the car valet floored his Toronado.

Quote Originally Posted by GOAT View Post
    Detroit Rises once again. Why bother investing in property in Detroit when it is going to get destroyed by thieves?

My biggest fear. However I am determined not to let a bunch of crooks define where I can and can not live and work. It is a shame what happened though and it is enough to make anyone think twice.

Makes me wish I had stopped in before they closed just like many of the other places that have closed up shop.

Default Another Sad Commentary

on the City of Detroit and its residents.

Quote Originally Posted by vrygdgrl View Post
    on the City of Detroit and its residents.
    sad commentary on you that you feel the need to publicly judge thousands of people based on the actions of someone that might not even be from the city. did the owner pay security? where does the owner live? you know for a fact the scrappers are from the city? i'm getting pretty sick of people seeing something happen in the city and automatically deem it necessary to point out that all the people that live here are the cause.

Are there any restaurants that comes even half way close to Carls?

When my spouse and I were dating we went to Carl's on our first date in 1967 and many dates to follow before and after we were married. Since I was not yet 21 the waiter brought me a virgin pina colada. Those of you who dined there back then should remember that wonderful appetizer buffet tray that was brought to the table. I can't remember exactly what was on the tray but I remember trying pickled herring in cream sauce and roquefort dressing for the first time. I still enjoy both. I was very sad when I heard Carl's had closed.
    Last edited by Former_Detroiter; May-08-18 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Former_Detroiter View Post
    When my spouse and I were dating we went to Carl's on our first date in 1967 and many dates to follow before and after we were married. Since I was not yet 21 the waiter brought me a virgin pina colada. Those of you who dined there back then should remember that wonderful appetizer buffet tray that was brought to the table. I can't remember exactly what was on the tray but I remember trying pickled herring in cream sauce and roquefort dressing for the first time. I still enjoy both. I was very sad when I heard Carl's had closed.
    Had a bad experience after eating that pickled herring [[mid 80's). Never went back.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncledave54 View Post
    Mr. Paul's on Grosbeck never disappoints. Went a few weeks ago after not having been in about 10 years. Same great service and food. Several waitress' have been there since they opened in '68!
    Last edited by Maof; May-08-18 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maof View Post
    Had a bad experience after eating that pickled herring [[mid 80's). Never went back.
    That's really too bad... it was a great place. Unfortunately, by the mid-80's it had seen better days.

Mr. Paul's never disappoints. Went a few weeks ago after not having been in about 10 years. Same great service and food. Several waitress' have been there since they opened in 1968.
    Thanks...I've heard that before. Just going to have to give it a shot.

Carl's, at least at the end, was horrible, almost comically bad.

I think the best eating were the stale supermarket crackers they gave you as as the bread service. Classy.

But supposedly it was great in its prime.

Sorry to hear that. The last time I ate there was in the 70's as we moved to San Francisco in 1975.

It was comically horrid, having stayed opened well past prime. The food was ghastly, albeit still over-priced, the place was dimly lit to hide the dirt and grime, the service was worn, plates scrapped from over use. Goodness they should have closed before skidding down so bad!

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Carl's, at least at the end, was horrible, almost comically bad...
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-09-18 at 10:26 AM.

I have to pick When my husband and I worked in the city, we occasionally would stop and have dinner there [[70’s). In it’s prime the food was good, but I remember the woman’s restroom as one of the dirtiest. The last time we stopped in for dinner a cockroach jumped out of the bread basket and ran across our table. We were gone in a heartbeat. Never returned after that. My husband was a Wayne County Assistant Prosecutor and a lot of that offices retirement parties were held there.

Thanks...I've heard that before. Just going to have to give it a shot.
    And you should. But if don't want to wait in line, get there early.

That's really too bad... it was a great place. Unfortunately, by the mid-80's it had seen better days.
    Oh, it was awful. I felt like it was brought to the table after sitting out all night. At the time, we were young and dumb to not say anything.

Mr. Paul's on Grosbeck never disappoints. Went a few weeks ago after not having been in about 10 years. Same great service and food. Several waitress' have been there since they opened in '68!
    Agree, food is delicious, reservations recommended, soft jazz music starts around 7:00pm.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast