Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: P.U. and you

I don't think P.U. is "shady" just yet, but I think his incredibly bad financial history makes him extremely vulnerable to bad decisions. It was disastrous when he was an anchor making 200k a year, and its going to be even more so now that he's handling the city's money. This man didn't just have bad credit, he has a history of being less than honest when it comes to his financial dealings [[making promises to pay just to get you off his back, then reneging), and being served 11 eviction notices from the same place, etc. That shows a lack of character and integrity, IMO.

Everybody has financial problems from time to time but its how you deal with them that count. P.U.'s history, IMO, show that he has a more serious problem with realizing and accepting when you just can't have something. He seems the type that will do whatever it takes to get what he wants whether or not he can afford it, everyone else be damned. It's evident already with the way he's handling his budget. He wants to go on fancy "look at me" trips, its not in the budget, well lets get people to give me money so I can still do what I want. Common sense - if he couldn't make it on 200k, how do you expect him to live on 85k? There has to be some side streams of income from SOMEWHERE that add up to more than he made as an anchor.

Of course, he thinks he's smarter than the average bear and can do things ethically and legally, unlike those "dumb people before him". The P.U. fund is very vague about its mission, just like the Civic Fund, which leaves it open to interpretation, so he can solicit contributions for it and spend it anyway he wants.

So I don't think he's shady YET, but he's definitely wide open and vulnerable and I think he needs to be watched very closely. With his affiliation with the Kilpatrick family, the money could all be a front to give to them anyway.

It seems like when a lot of folks get elected they feel it's time to cash in.
    The old entitlement mentality kicks in and they lose all sense of decency and
    reality.

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    reality.
    Sad, isn't it? Can you vote him out when his election comes up?

How much money does the council member make? + expenses?

I certainly can understand the raised eyebrows about these high rollers fundraisers, especially the history of abuse in Detroit... but Obama is going to Texas for some "$30,000 per couple" fundraisers.

So lets keep things in context. I agree that transparency is in order [[such as who donates)... but just having high rollers fund raisers is in and of itself not illegal or shady [[under current laws).

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    reality.
    Therin lies the fundamental problem with our political system. The amount of money required to get elected greatly exceeds the amount you can earn legitimately in that position. Therefore people seek outside funds to finance their campaign, and these funds always come with stings attached and conflicts of interest.

I would like to run for city council even though it would be a pay cut for me because I love this city, but I know there is no way I could afford to run a large enough campaign to win.

The system is broken, IMO.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2