Charles Pugh's Pricey Party Raises Some Eyebrows

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news...-20100805-wpms

DETROIT - Detroit City Council President Charles Pugh celebrated his birthday in style Thursday morning at the Roostertail. Cameras were not allowed inside the exclusive event where it cost $500 just to get in the door and $5,000 for a table for nine.
"We are raising money for travel expenses that really can't be taken care of with my office budget," said Pugh.
He says the money will pay for trips to place such as The White House, where he went in June, the Mackinac Public Policy Conference and other events.
In March, the now 39-year-old established a non-profit fund called Pugh and You, which is meant to promote social welfare.
"I just took a trip to L.A. the other day; part of the Democratic Municipal Organization. Well, I can't pay for that out of my city council fund, and I can't afford to pay for it out of my personal money," Pugh said.
But in the midst of a recession, the big ticket price for the birthday bash is raising some eyebrows. Pugh was just in the news for giving staff members raises at a time where the city is making deep budget cuts. His personal finances have also come into question. At one point, he was even facing foreclosure.
Then there's the issue of Detroit's former mayor in jail and facing federal charges accused of mishandling a similar type of fund. In Kwame Kilpatrick's case, the feds say the money was spent on lavish trips, fancy cars and even college tuition; something Pugh is well aware of.
"What happened in the past is with somebody else's unethical behavior. I live my life in an ethical way. I abide by the law," said Pugh.
He insists his fund will be used as intended and will be transparent.
Pugh says 50 people attended the party and he raised about $25,000. The guest list was not made available.

What exactly is "social welfare" and how do you promote it? How much does it cost? Sounds like another Civic Fund to me.

Why is the CC President taking all of these trips anyway? Is that part of his job or is it self promotion? Seems like if your budget can't handle all of the jet setting then maybe you don't need to do it - or maybe your staff didn't need huge raises.

Since this money was raised on his own for his own personal party, no one can really tell him what to do with - right?

I think we're starting to see the "real" Charles Pugh that people were concerned about when he ran and won.