I am amazed. Where do you guys find this stuff?! Mike how did you find a map from the exact year of 1935? Leo, the pictures show precisely the spot we are talking about. I went out and drove it today and, of course, it is exactly as you describe. I am trying to scan the article but am having some trouble because it has browned so much the scanner is having trouble picking it up. I wanted to show the article to you guys because one eyewitness said it looked like the driver failed to handle the curve, skidded across the the road and then down the embankment. There are two curves in the road. I think that it must have been the easternmost, right curve that caused him the trouble and he drove down the embankment somewhere close to the northwest corner of the bridge. When I post the article it will become clearer I think.

gnome, I was thinking the exact thing you were, in that the Rotunda itself or the hub hub surrounding it might have distracted the driver causing him to lose control.

I cannot thank you guys enough for this help. I never thought this would become an interesting thread such as it is but I am pleased I asked.