Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Sorry that I don't have more time to drop in to DetroitYES more often. And I hope this post doesn't bother anyone by attempting to return to the issue of race and the "race card" topic heading.

First, let me say I’m glad to see this dialog/discussion/rant on the forum. Racism and racial justice are rarely framed in terms that don't inspire agitation and anger...and that is very understandable.

The issue of race in the U.S. has gotten more complicated and nuanced for all sides since the election of President Obama.

There is at least one on this forum who would argue that racism no longer matters because if one black person can become President, no person of color faces any real barriers limiting the achievement of anything he or she wants. That is to say this particular poster is sure that in this great nation the only real limits are our own intelligence, diligence, and dedication to success. I had this very discussion on the old forum with a frequent forum poster who's a conservative Ayn Rand devotee

I choose to disagree with that analysis.

BTW, in my humble opinion, racism just doesn’t apply to white/black issues...nor to just Americans. I’d argue that it was there in some capacity when Portuguese brought Africans back to Europe as slaves in the 1400s. It was there when Columbus, sailing on behalf of the Spanish, decided that Spaniards and all Europeans were superior to those inhabiting the islands that he “discovered.” Europeans have been playing the race card for quite a while.

I believe, racism, most obviously applies to clashes between “whites” and “people of color” where prejudice and power combine to deny humanity and opportunity. Historically, in the U.S., it’s the WASP who has had the power to control the opportunity dispensing institutions of our nation.

Regarding black/white issues, in the U.S., how much has changed in the last 41 years when the National Advisory Commission on Civil Disorders made, what is in my mind, this irrefutable observation?

“What white Americans have never fully understood but what the Negro can never forget—is that white society is deeply implicated in the ghetto. White institutions created it, white institutions maintain it, and white society condones it.”

I’d argue, not enough.

ccbatson Guest

Good points. Systemically, it makes sense to support the ideology which holds individual rights [[regardless of race/creed/color) as sacred. Namely, conservatism [[or, perhaps more purely of late...libertarianism, capitalism, and objectivism).

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3