Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Let's hope he not the next Tony Mandarich

Quote Originally Posted by royce View Post
    Well, the idea that athletes and movie stars continue to make these outrageous salaries is a concern of mine when the average Joe can't find a decent job or has to work two jobs just to make ends meet. Many are complaining about the federal government giving out "bailouts" but no one is complaining about these "entertainers" making the same if not more money during this Great Recession. I don't hear about any anthlete or movie star talking about having to do with less. Those obnoxious spoiled brats on Jersey Shore are getting $30,000 an episode to act like jerks, but school boards across the country are laying off teachers and asking student-athletes to pay hundreds of dollars to participate in a school sport. Something is wrong with this picture. However, this is capitalism, so what can you do, right?

I do know that it is very unlikely that I'll be attending a Detroit Lions' game this year. If you don't buy into some type of package such as season tickets or half-season tickets, the single game ticket price starts at $42 and goes as high as $240. I went to a Tigers game and paid 12 bucks. In my opinion, $42 is a lot for a football game, especially if the Lions are playing. At least if I go to a concert to see one of my favorite performers perform for $42 [[say that three times real fast), I'm going to get my money's worth and walk out pleased, knowing that the performer gave their best. I can't say that if I go to a Lions game.
    Here is one consideration for how it relates to the budget: We need to eliminate the cap for SS tax. As it stands now, people only pay a SS tax for the first $106,000 they make. Someone that makes $30MM a year pay the same as someone making $106,000 into social security.

I'm sure that there is a cap on the amount SS pays but I see now reason to have such a low cap on SS taxes. The system would quickly be in respectable shape if the gov't lifted the cap on SS tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Let's hope he not the next Tony Mandarich
    Ha ! I don't think anybody can be the next Tony Mandarich unless they were taking roids by the bucket.

If Suh is going the natural route and I'm sure the lions checked that out Suh will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post

I'm sure that there is a cap on the amount SS pays but I see now reason to have such a low cap on SS taxes. The system would quickly be in respectable shape if the gov't lifted the cap on SS tax.
    That's been my battle cry for years, Jt1. Couldn't agree more!

Considering that the stadiums these "heroes" perform at are usually publicly funded, their pay is somewhat indirectly subsidized by all of us. That I may watch, I don't care. I do not appreciate the ways that professional sports teams extort funding from communities. Even worse are the ways that the "heroes" leave town as fast as possible as soon as their season is over.

Quote Originally Posted by BagAJellyDonuts View Post
    Considering that the stadiums these "heroes" perform at are usually publicly funded, their pay is somewhat indirectly subsidized by all of us. That I may watch, I don't care. I do not appreciate the ways that professional sports teams extort funding from communities. Even worse are the ways that the "heroes" leave town as fast as possible as soon as their season is over.
    I'm listening to Darren McCarty in his new gig on 97.1 [[they officially hired him on this week, not sure for what yet, other than filling in as he usually does). So they don't all leave. Although, McCarty never made anywhere near that kind of money! $68 million is more than the entire Red Wings salary cap!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnlodge View Post
    I'm listening to Darren McCarty in his new gig on 97.1 [[they officially hired him on this week, not sure for what yet, other than filling in as he usually does). So they don't all leave. Although, McCarty never made anywhere near that kind of money! $68 million is more than the entire Red Wings salary cap!
    No they don't all leave. Guess I'm one of those that notices those that do.

BTW, it is rumored that Chris Chelios has retired and will now move into Wings management. Considering where he started in Detroit fan's hearts, it's been a long strange road.

Quote Originally Posted by jams View Post
    Please give me a justification for this
    I've been asking this question since Joe Namath got a hundred thousand dollar contract. I aided and abetted this nonsense by attending a few pro games over the years and some college games also. I stopped attending years ago and watch an occasional game on teevee. But not on Fox, if at all avoidable. My big thrills this year were attending teen and school soccer leagues and high school swimming and water polo. Much more fun and satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by jams View Post
    Please give me a justification for this
    I also own one Michigan sweatshirt, polo and hat. Most given to me as gifts, which I didn't request. No Tigers, Lions, Red Wings or any other team. Never been to a Lion's game at Ford Field [[boooooring) and only a few at The Silverdome [[way back when). Attended one opener at COPA [[booooring) with a friend who was in town and unfamiliar with Detroit and the new park. Unlikely ever to attend another game. There's too much fun out there to drive miles, pay to park, pay a ton for tickets and sub-mediocre food. Even if professional players are the cream of the crop, they're boring, spoiled and over paid.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2