Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

I may be one of the few who has actually taken a train out of the MCS to go vsist relatives as a child, I remeber even at that young age being awed by the beauty and massiveness of that lobby. IMO there is only one feasible use for the building and that is as a museaum in the unforseen future where Detrot comes back. [[imagine Ellis Island). I understand this is very very far fetched, and Detroit will never have the tourism of Detroit, but I think a walkthrough museum [[ruin) could maybe fund enough money to close it from the elements and secure it. I would only open it in favorable weather so you don't need heat or AC. The idea of bringing it up to todays operating standards is a dream I would love to see come true, but also one that I know will not happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    But when it comes to train stations... the MSC is almost like the "Cologne Cathedral of train stations"... a gigantic, almost terrifying work that completely overshadows and makes miniscule all that is around it as a brooding dark hulk of massive proportions. Therein lies why people from all over the world come to see it.
    They arent coming to see the terrifying work. They are coming to see the real time death of a first world city. They are here to marvel at 50 years of incompetence, impotence, decay and denial. The most common statement I hear from out of town guests when making the obligatory stop at slows is not "oh wow, look at that really interesting example of the beaux arts style", it's, "what the hell happened to this city and why is that wreck allowed to still loom over the area?" or [[a close second) "why doesn't the city do something to the owner to make him either fix it or tear it down?"

both of which came up in conversations this past saturday evening as we watched from slow's patio a group of at least 4 trespassers take pictures of each other on the roof and then chuck stuff off it.

Dabirch Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post

...An example would be the many Detroit factory buildings which were designed for man-handling loads ...
    Where is Manrooter when you need him?

Ok finally got my medium format panoramic photographs developed from this night....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4