Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by mrfinewine View Post
    ...and fried chicken at the BROADWAY MARKET downtown.
    There were many. many fine foods to be had in the different stalls at the Broadway Market. Was it in 1961 that it got wiped out by a fire?

I loved going into the Broadway market when I was a kid.

The gnocchi at Cliff Bells are out of this world...so is the fish and chips! Anything at Slows...and I love the little deli's at E&L and Honeybee....

Seafood at the Clam Shop on E. Grand Blvd. west of the railroad tracks near the Milwaukee Jct. As I recall it was not a large place nor too expensive but the food was good.

Burgers at the Marcus Burger joint on McNichols east of Mt. Elliott on the north side of the street, just west of Filer St.. The burgers and chili were noteworthy.

Stinger

Beef Brisket @ Slow's

Lamb and Rice @ New Parthenon

Madras Meatloaf @ Traffic Jam

Flaming Beef Fajitas @ Mexican Town Restaurant

The Mary @ Good Girls Go To Paris Crepes

Sea Salt Chocolate Chip Cookie @ Avalon Bakery

Banana's Foster Bread Pudding @ Red Smoke BBQ in Greektown

Quote Originally Posted by Nee View Post
    Recently had a 7 Up cake from Rhems Bakery on GrandRiver, it was to die for!
    7 Up Cake is one of my favorites from our local farmers market in Lincoln Park.

Hungarian Torte Cake is on my mind today. My friend posted on Facebook today that she is making it today and taking it into work tomorrow, of which, is her families bicycle shop.
    Hmmm, lots will be stopping in for Hungarian Torte Cake as opposed to bicycle parts tomorrow!!

In the last year: The pork loin at the Dakota Inn was very tasty.

Most memorable: Schawarma at the Bucharest Grill, holy cow they use a ton of garlic [[most memorable in that it took days for the dragon breath to go away)

Honorable mention, the Guatemalan place on Vernor just south of MCS. I don't remember what I ordered.

Slick;

It's been a long time since I heard anyone mention the Knock Club on Kercheval and Meldrum, SW corner. The owner was John Bossenburger, the meals there were quite good. Sort of an exclusive establishment, you knock, if they knew who it was yu were in for a good meal and adult beverages if you chose them. John Bossenburger was an alumni of St. Joseph H.S. on Gratiot at Orleans. It may have gone by the name St. Joseph Commercial College.

The smorgasbord at the Stockholm on East Jefferson. It was a huge spread and was just the "appetizer" for the main courses.

The Duck at Harlequin Cafe.

Paging Sherman Sharpe... where are you? We need your food!

The Majestic Sandwich at Eph's
    Dragon Eggs salad at Union Street
    Antipasto at Buddy's
    Hot Fudge Cream Puff at the Sanders at the Plymouth Rd Shopping Center

Remember the 'Turtle soup" at the Turtle Soup Inn on 6 Mile? And the Bakery behind St. Francis d'Assisi Church at Wesson and Buchanan---sorry forgot the name...it's been closed for probably 30 years but had great seeded crusty rye loaf! The aroma that drifted over the neighborhood from the ovens was intoxicating.

The Dragon Eggs at Union Stret are fantastic. My favortie place for a chcken sandwich used to be coney king at 2nd and Prentis [[now the green garage). I also second the wings at sweetwater - delicious.

The most I ever ate in one sitting was the polish platter, side of city chicken and dill pickle soup at Polish Village. Had a food coma situation that rivaled any Thanksgiving dinner

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    Remember the 'Turtle soup" at the Turtle Soup Inn on 6 Mile? And the Bakery behind St. Francis d'Assisi Church at Wesson and Buchanan---sorry forgot the name...it's been closed for probably 30 years but had great seeded crusty rye loaf! The aroma that drifted over the neighborhood from the ovens was intoxicating.

Dad? Is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by Downriver Gal View Post
    I came here just to sing the praises of the Kow Kow's almond chicken. Never had any like it anywhere else, and I miss it so much.

I'd like to figure out how to make that sauce. I'm guessing they used dark soy sauce or mushroom soy sauce, along with a lot of garlic.
    As has been mentioned often on this forum... Almond Chicken seems to be a Michigan specialty [[maybe Wisconsin as well). Most Chinese restaurants around the USA don't serve Almond Chicken [[and are clueless about it when asked).

Slick
    My dad used to take me to The Knock Knock Club,back in the 70's.
    how about Shulties on Baldwin and Fortest?
    Marge used to run it.
    It was a neat of the beaten path place.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    The Majestic Sandwich at Eph's
    Dragon Eggs salad at Union Street
    Antipasto at Buddy's
    Hot Fudge Cream Puff at the Sanders at the Plymouth Rd Shopping Center
    Ahh, how I miss Ephs. Whatever happened to the plan to reopen at Bohemian Home?

Stromberg2

mrfinewine
    Pizza at VINCENZO'S.Now you brought up a sore spot. I have never found anywhere that had pizza as good as at Vincenzo's or it was called John R Gardens before.
    Why can't anyone make pizza like that anymore?
    What has changed in making pizza that it doesn't taste like that anymore?

Do they still make hot fudge cream puffs at Sanders & Dairy Queen?

My dad would drive us from West Dearborn to the "Totem Pole" way out on North Woodward Ave. Then you had to circle the parking lot for a place to park, it was always so crowded. Then he ordered "Tex burgers". We never got a choice. They were loose hamburger with BBQ sauce mixed in with spices on a long bun. They were great. Anybody who mentions food or hamburgers around our Dad..... you get the Totem Pole story.

Quote Originally Posted by mittengal View Post
    Do they still make hot fudge cream puffs at Sanders & Dairy Queen?
    Never at Dairy Queen, but yes at Sander's. Not too many Sanders around these days but they are making a come-back. A little different as they used to be [[no bakery or lunch counters).
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; October-11-10 at 08:31 PM.

*Enchiladas Verde - Taqueria Familia [[Vernor/Central)
    *Tacos [[chorizo and marinated pork) - Taqueria Mitierra [[Schaefer/Oakwood)
    *The Longhorn [[beef brisket w/ onion marmalade/smoked gouda/sauce) - Slow's
    *Coneys! - Lafayette

Not technically in Detroit - but my favortie Lasange and Salad Bar has always been and always will be Ferlitos on Mack, north of 8mile. Out of this world.

Bronze medal: Perch dinner @ Ivanhoe Cafe

Silver medal: Filet mignon @ Roast

Gold medal: Pappardelle Bolognese @ Angelina Bistro

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast