Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

And Moms gumbo.

Best thing I ever ate in Detroit? The Boogaloo!

Nice to see someone mention Peggy & Paul's work at Dish on Mack, and amazing to see someone mention Sander's BBQ. A very good friend used to live around the corner from that place and it was damn good.

Olympia? You mean the old Olympia Stadium on Grand River? Nothing much there...? But great food can turn up in the oddest places... please clarify location. I love cat fish!
    Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    Catfish sandwich in the Soulfood restaurant across from where Olympia was. They put the fish on a bun with the bones, put hot sauce and tartar sauce on it, and the fish is so fresh and delectable that you inhale it with your breath.

They are the best. Unique taste indeed. Love em...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimistree View Post
    Chicken Wings-Sweetwater Tavern

Hmm, I think I can try that out in my own kitchen.....
    Quote Originally Posted by jcole View Post
    Does anyplace in the city make a grilled meatloaf and cheese on rye sandwich?

I adore Evie's Tamales. Yumm. I have to go now. I am getting too hungry on this link.......
    Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    Classics: Fish & Chips, Scotty Simpson's of course
    Mexican: Tamales at Evie's, and they give you a cookie for dessert, too.

The Burger at the late Normandie Bar on 2nd and West Grand Blvd...cooked in a super hot gas broiler, almost crusty, almost charred on the outside, always cooked to order [[MedRare for me). Never copied anywhere that I know of successfully.

The Potato Salad and the Clam Chowder at Greenwich Time on Cadillac Square.

The Maurice Salad at Rosie O Grady's in Ferndale...as good as the original at Hudson's and the Bulh Bar, they have the dressing recipe down pat and each is made to order.
    Last edited by detroitbob; August-02-10 at 11:49 PM.

Anything and everything I have had from Knudsens is good.I can't pick a best of anything to eat, So I will go back to my youth and say anything for breakfast at the Micky D'S on Joy rd and Southfield.Was better then anything Grandma cooked.

I'd have to toss a Dutch Girl donut or two into the fray here. They just do something special that sets it apart from the regular fare that one gets at Tim Horton's or Dunkin' Donuts.

Present or present and past?

Hot Turkey or Roast Beef Sandwich-Janets Lunch
    1/2lb Burgers at Checkers downtown or the Knock Knock Club on Kercheval
    NY Strip Stk at Carls Chop House
    Seafood dishes at the Money Tree

There is more...Im brain farting at the moment.

Ravine Guest

Probably my true answer for this question should be withheld, as it is improper for public discussion and the motel may have been outside of Detroit city limits, anyway.
    But does anybody remember a really small, very plain diner in Greektown called the International? The lamb & [[yellow) rice was so good that, over 30 years later, I still completely remember the flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravine View Post
    Probably my true answer for this question should be withheld, as it is improper for public discussion and the motel may have been outside of Detroit city limits, anyway.
    But does anybody remember a really small, very plain diner in Greektown called the International? The lamb & [[yellow) rice was so good that, over 30 years later, I still completely remember the flavor.
    Go right ahead Ravine, there are probably more than a few of us on Dyes with perverted senses of humor. Hey, how about an X-rated thread?? Oh the sad failings of my Baptist upbringing, I flunk Baptist 101 in every possible way. My bad...

Dover Sole @ Joe Muers

Brown Trout @ Joe Muers

Coleslaw @ Joe Muers

Anything @ Joe Muers

I already voted on Pastitsio from Cyprus Taverna in Greektown.

But I had forgotten about Wimpy fries at the old Wimpy's on E. Warren. Hm, maybe I made a mistake. For now I think I'll still go with the pastitsio, but does anyone else recall Wimpy's?? That was a great place
    Last edited by kryptonite; August-03-10 at 01:16 PM.

I usually go to Small plates. They have the best brick oven pizza in town.

Damn, now this thread is bringing up all sorts of delicious memories that I can't just rekindle [[and at lunchtime too). First the International in Greektown, which was one of my big haunts back during my late high school years [[still have a strong flavor memory of their awesome soup), and then Wimpy's, which was a regular Friday night gathering spot for beer, burgers, and fries for my family for several years, since my sister, grandmother, uncle, and a few cousins lived close by.

LodgeDodger Guest

Pizza at my Uncle Rocky's Restaurant, Heinrich's Bakery cakes with buttercream frosting, lasagna from Schiavi's, ice cream from Alinosis', and anything from The Little Cafe.

Mmm.......Dutch Girls.....
    still have bruises from the wooden shoes.

Stronberg- The Dish is on Mack,right by where Chicken Delight,Henny Penny

Thanks, pgn421.

Stromberg2

Cream of Broccoli soup from the Mediterranean Lounge, with a nice chunk of French bread!!! Yum-m-m-m-yyyyyyy!!!

These days I love the Crushed Lentil soup at Mr. Kebob's. Nothing like it!!!

And nobody's mentioned the Schwarma sandwiches at the Bucharest Grill in the Park Bar yet!!

PJ made a mean chicken and sausage gumbo at the Lager House the other night. Not the best meal I've ever had, but the best in recent memory.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Triple Threat Pork Sandwich at Slows is quite possibly the best sandwich I have ever had.
    SO ditto on this one! As a transplanted Detroiter, my only knowledge of this place was from the Man v. Food Detroit episode, so the last time we were in the D, we had to stop and check it out. So glad I did. What a fantastic place. Will stop there every time we come back home.

Love this thread!

Seriously not a single good girls nomination?

give me a Janel or a Faye anyday

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitHabitater View Post
    Seriously not a single good girls nomination?

give me a Janel or a Faye anyday
    Ravine beat you to it above, but in a more oblique way

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast