Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Actually when you read that Coleman Young is a racist, that's all it reminded you of. No one cared that he was a black man with power. Do people call Archer a racist, no. I don't even recall many people calling Kwame a racist, even though at times some of the things he said made it seem that he might be. What do you mean that a black man could put whites in their place? They also didn't shake down whites probably because white people hadn't rioted in the city and weren't causing the majority of the crime in the city. [[not that innocent people of any color deserve to be shaken down)
    Yes, someone decided to comment on my comment.

Dennis Archer came after Coleman Young.
    Kwame Kilpatrick came after Coleman Young.
    Dave Bing came after Coleman Young.
    Who did Coleman Young after? Well it wasn't another Black man like the others I listed.

The reason why Dennis Archer, Kwame Kilpatrick and Dave Bing aren't called racist is because Coleman Young was the first. The first Black mayor of the city of Detroit. The first Black mayor that threatened the livelihoods of Whites that still had influence in Detroit. The first Black mayor that could change the social climate of Blacks in Detroit which was ignored for decades. He was the first and when you are the first, the wolves are always going to attack. Don't believe me. I leave you with this: last summer on Fox and Friends, Glenn Beck said the following about the first Black president: that Obama has "over and over again" exposed himself as "a guy who has a deep-seated hatred for white people or the white culture....and oh yes he is a racist.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post

Who did Coleman Young after? Well it wasn't another Black man like the others I listed.

The reason why Dennis Archer, Kwame Kilpatrick and Dave Bing aren't called racist is because Coleman Young was the first. The first Black mayor of the city of Detroit. The first Black mayor that threatened the livelihoods of Whites that still had influence in Detroit. The first Black mayor that could change the social climate of Blacks in Detroit which was ignored for decades. He was the first and when you are the first, the wolves are always going to attack. Don't believe me. I leave you with this: last summer on Fox and Friends, Glenn Beck said the following about the first Black president: that Obama has "over and over again" exposed himself as "a guy who has a deep-seated hatred for white people or the white culture....and oh yes he is a racist.
    yeah...but Glenn Beck is a complete, undeniable, idiot lol

I think you're right R8RBOB, the first anything is always picked to peices.
    He would have to have a "deep-seated hatred" of himself and his mother, and he probably wouldn't say things like this:

updated 3/18/2008 4:16:41 PM ET

PHILADELPHIA — Barack Obama confronted the nation's racial divide head-on Tuesday, tackling both black grievance and white resentment in a bold effort to quiet a campaign uproar over race and his former pastor's incendiary statements.
    Standing before a row of eight American flags near the building where the Declaration of Independence was adopted, Obama urged the nation to break "a racial stalemate we've been stuck in for years.'"
    "The anger is real," he said. "It is powerful, and to simply wish it away, to condemn it without understanding its roots, only serves to widen the chasm of misunderstanding that exists between the races."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I'm not sure how people come to these conclusions......because he refers to himself as african-american? I would too if it was the dominant colour of my skin. If someone asked then I 'd say "well, my mom's white, my dad's from Kenya"

Quote Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
    yeah...but Glenn Beck is a complete, undeniable, idiot lol

I think you're right R8RBOB, the first anything is always picked to peices.
    He would have to have a "deep-seated hatred" of himself and his mother, and he probably wouldn't say things like this:

updated 3/18/2008 4:16:41 PM ET

PHILADELPHIA — Barack Obama confronted the nation's racial divide head-on Tuesday, tackling both black grievance and white resentment in a bold effort to quiet a campaign uproar over race and his former pastor's incendiary statements.
    Standing before a row of eight American flags near the building where the Declaration of Independence was adopted, Obama urged the nation to break "a racial stalemate we've been stuck in for years.'"
    "The anger is real," he said. "It is powerful, and to simply wish it away, to condemn it without understanding its roots, only serves to widen the chasm of misunderstanding that exists between the races."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    I'm not sure how people come to these conclusions......because he refers to himself as african-american? I would too if it was the dominant colour of my skin. If someone asked then I 'd say "well, my mom's white, my dad's from Kenya"
    Glenn Beck is a lunatic but he proves my point how people can label people racist just on GP. Coleman Young was a larger than life character and it is not up to me to defend his memory but the same people who would call him racist live in communities in which their elected leaders were discriminating against Blacks yet they would elected them over and over and never question if they were racist or not. I may be young but I'm old enough to remember going through communities like Farmington Hills, Livonia, Southfield, Dearborn and many more and get roused by the police with the famous question: what are you doing out here?

True story: around 1992, me, my cousin and a friend of us drove out to Warren to apply for city jobs and we didn't know our way around the city hall so we stopped to ask for info where to apply. The people we came across would say, "are y'all looking for the courthouse?" What???? I suppose if you aren't White and you are at city hall then you are there to go to court to give to the city coffers.

Glenn Beck is a lunatic but he proves my point how people can label people racist just on GP. Coleman Young was a larger than life character and it is not up to me to defend his memory but the same people who would call him racist live in communities in which their elected leaders were discriminating against Blacks yet they would elected them over and over and never question if they were racist or not. I may be young but I'm old enough to remember going through communities like Farmington Hills, Livonia, Southfield, Dearborn and many more and get roused by the police with the famous question: what are you doing out here?

True story: around 1992, me, my cousin and a friend of us drove out to Warren to apply for city jobs and we didn't know our way around the city hall so we stopped to ask for info where to apply. The people we came across would say, "are y'all looking for the courthouse?" What???? I suppose if you aren't White and you are at city hall then you are there to go to court to give to the city coffers.

Paragraph 5 in the Bill of Rights buddy, look it up

Sounds like you had some bits of white trash scattered in the halls. Sad that all these years later you'd probably encounter the same thing, same redneck. Wouldn't matter if you showed up in a suit and tie. What a slap in the face that must have felt like.

Paragraph 5 in the Bill of Rights buddy, look it up

Sounds like you had some bits of white trash scattered in the halls. Sad that all these years later you'd probably encounter the same thing, same redneck. Wouldn't matter if you showed up in a suit and tie. What a slap in the face that must have felt like.
    What!!!!! I'm confused but where in my comment did you think that I have encountered any racism recently?

I am curious to know what the Fifth Amendment has to do with a joke that I was making? I suppose you saw the word White and decided to spin it. Keep spinning friend.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    She was not a book keeper, my dad worked with her at the Western Yard. I severely doubt that the City's accounting department was nestled somewhere between the salt shack and the garbage trucks.
    I belive that was her first job working for Coleman before she moved on to the one you are talking about. I remember it was a big scandel having a city controller who had no accounting background.

What!!!!! I'm confused but where in my comment did you think that I have encountered any racism recently?

I am curious to know what the Fifth Amendment has to do with a joke that I was making? I suppose you saw the word White and decided to spin it. Keep spinning friend.

Well.....now I'm confused. I guess I was just trying to make a joke too. For all the rights and freedoms everyone seems to have, racism still prevails ie: there's no way you could have been at city hall for a job according to the redneck you encountered in 92. I was trying to say that apparently everyone is to be treated equally according to those documents, yet you were steroetyped right off the bat by some dumb redneck. As if it was the way the founding fathers ment it to be, like what I highlighted was in the bill. And people like that don't change, so if you went back there today, and the same person was still woring there, you'd probably get that comment again. Not that you've encountered it recently...that's not what I ment. Is this making any sense? I don't know cause frankly I'm a bit embarrassed now.
    Wasn't trying to be a jerk or get anyone riled up. Guess in the end....it was just a bad joke. Figured the rolled eye smily face and stuff indicated such. If I could've inserted cricket sounds I would have.

Sorry about that.

Well.....now I'm confused. I guess I was just trying to make a joke too. For all the rights and freedoms everyone seems to have, racism still prevails ie: there's no way you could have been at city hall for a job according to the redneck you encountered in 92. I was trying to say that apparently everyone is to be treated equally according to those documents, yet you were steroetyped right off the bat by some dumb redneck. As if it was the way the founding fathers ment it to be, like what I highlighted was in the bill. And people like that don't change, so if you went back there today, and the same person was still woring there, you'd probably get that comment again. Not that you've encountered it recently...that's not what I ment. Is this making any sense? I don't know cause frankly I'm a bit embarrassed now.
    Wasn't trying to be a jerk or get anyone riled up. Guess in the end....it was just a bad joke. Figured the rolled eye smily face and stuff indicated such. If I could've inserted cricket sounds I would have.

Sorry about that.
    Hey it's no biggie. I read your comment about the Fifth Amendment and I'm like where did that come from. Now as for my story, what happened to me has happen to all people of color. It's something we had to and still live with. I wanted to bring out that story to demonstrate how communities such as Warren back then condone a hostile environment towards Blacks and the people would elect these officials who would maintain the color line yet when it comes to Coleman Young he was the biggest racist around when that's a lie.

I wasn't even thinking that paragraph 5 was the 5th amendment either when I wrote that, I was just throwin any old paragraph out there. Then you write back about the 5th and I'm thinkin....ah shit, the 5th amendment would be paragraph 5 now wouldn't it. I'm a stupid asshole. lol

Sorry again!.

I wasn't even thinking that paragraph 5 was the 5th amendment either when I wrote that, I was just throwin any old paragraph out there. Then you write back about the 5th and I'm thinkin....ah shit, the 5th amendment would be paragraph 5 now wouldn't it. I'm a stupid asshole. lol

Sorry again!.
    An honest mistake. Again, when I saw that, I'm like paragraph 5. I don't have possible criminal charges again me..LOL

Just goes to show you what different assumptions Blacks and Whites have. At least you both were
    cordial about it. Honest mistakes can be made.

Wrong, they aren't called racists because they didn't try to pin everything wrong with the city on white people and they didn't make other racist remarks. While I don't believe that Obama is a racist, he doesn't seem very fond of white people either.

Coleman Young was the first Kwame of Detroit, except he was smarter and got away with it. He was a disgrace of a human being and it doesn't even matter that he was black.

How about this, maybe Young was so hated because he took over as mayor of a city that just had a riot of few years earlier, and the city became more and more of a crime ridden wasteland of a city under is tenure. Archer became mayor and things, albeit slowly, started to look up. Kwame took over and the shit hit the fan again, and now with Bing things don't seem to be getting better, but they aren't getting worse so that's a good thing.

Wrong, they aren't called racists because they didn't try to pin everything wrong with the city on white people and they didn't make other racist remarks. While I don't believe that Obama is a racist, he doesn't seem very fond of white people either.

Coleman Young was the first Kwame of Detroit, except he was smarter and got away with it. He was a disgrace of a human being and it doesn't even matter that he was black.
    You're funny guy. So much hatred for a man you never knew. I suppose Mayor Young had that effect on people especially White people based on your biased POV.

How about this, maybe Young was so hated because he took over as mayor of a city that just had a riot of few years earlier, and the city became more and more of a crime ridden wasteland of a city under is tenure. Archer became mayor and things, albeit slowly, started to look up. Kwame took over and the shit hit the fan again, and now with Bing things don't seem to be getting better, but they aren't getting worse so that's a good thing.
    How about this, maybe we can bury this thread because people like yourself can't let go of the hate. Young is gone and it is time for this thread to go too. I made my point and I have nothing left.

You're funny guy. So much hatred for a man you never knew. I suppose Mayor Young had that effect on people especially White people based on your biased POV.
    Most of what I have to say has to do with the fact that he was a terrible mayor. 99% of people that speak of him don't know him either. Look at the city, was improvements were made while he was mayor. None. And why do you keep bringing up things about white people? What he did had nothing to do with white people.

How about this, maybe we can bury this thread because people like yourself can't let go of the hate. Young is gone and it is time for this thread to go too. I made my point and I have nothing left.
    You point is wrong, and that's why you have nothing left. I don't dislike the man for his color, I dislike him for his leadership.

My disdain for Young is that he was a crook. Plain and simple.

Young had the right thought in believing that blacks needed and deserved more opportunities than they had previously had. On that point, he was 100% correct. Where I think he left a bitter taste is that he went into that as if it were a zero-sum game, meaning that any opportunities given to blacks had to come at the expense of whites.

If Young had been a true leader and innovator, he would have worked to expand the opportunities for everybody, not just shifting power from one group to another.

The comparison I keep making in my mind is to Nelson Mandela, who was imprisoned for over twenty five years, yet after he was freed, he became a leader. Did he hold the chip on his shoulder and imply that white people were bad and that more opportunities for blacks needed to come at the expense of white people? Of course not. He worked to unify, to create new opportunities, to lift up one group without bringing another group down.

What if Young had gone in with a similar mindset? What if he had enacted policies and portrayed leadership in that style? He could have won a Nobel Peace Prize. He could have led a rebuilding of Detroit.

People argue that Detroit had no chance but to go down and it would have gone down under anybody and that Young did the best he could. I don't agree with that one bit. Many other cities were hit hard by various calamities and they found a way to recover. And, Detroit didn't. They could have had there been leadership in place that gave the people a reason to care.

That's his legacy. Coleman Young spent twenty years giving people reasons not to care about the city of Detroit.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6