Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Where else in the metro area is there a theater that has a support system around it? It appears that almost all theaters elsewhere are "drive to". I've wondered why other areas haven't figured this out. Instead of putting a bra on top of a parking deck like Pontiac did, a theater complex with an Imax would be "creating" the same "problem" that Birmingham has. Of course Birmingham is a victim of it's own success. Nobody else wants the business.

All young people today act like idiots.

Anyone under 60 fits my definition of young.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray1936 View Post
    All young people today act like idiots.

Anyone under 60 fits my definition of young.

Lol @ Ray1936. Its the popular culture that influences that behaviour? I think....it seems to me a lot of us are behaving-dressing younger longer....I think we do reside in a bit of an adolescent society...

Quote Originally Posted by cmubryan View Post
    I think the reason its becoming more of a "concern" is that these kids aren't the typical "Birmingham type" teens. To be blunt, it looks as if there are many inner-city kids hanging out in Birmingham in large groups which is scaring some of the other people going there. At least this is what I have witnessed first hand and have heard from some peers. The demographics of the Birmingham visitors has shifted a little which is making some people uncomfortable.
    I highly doubt that Detroiters are driving way out to Birmingham and just dropping off to hangout. How do you know that the kids are from the inner-city? Skin color should not be an indicator as African Americans live in Birminham and surrounding suburbs.
    Last edited by Nee; August-01-10 at 08:12 PM.

I said "looks" as if there are many inner city kids hanging out there. I didn't say they are. The apparel that is worn by many of the teens, expressions that are made from the teens are typically more often found in U.S. inner cities more than a suburban area.

However, it is true that many of these teens are not neccesarily living in the inner-city. I am just saying that their outward apperance is someting that most people in this country would associate with the inner-city. It is what it is. Absolutely not meant to be insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Nee View Post
    I highly doubt that Detroiters are driving way out to Birmingham and just dropping off to hangout. How do you know that the kids are from the inner-city? Skin color should not be an indicator as African Americans live in Birminham and surrounding suburbs.

By the way, "way out to Birmingham" is a strech. Shooting up Southfield Freeway and then on to Southfield Road which hits Maple in downtown Birmingham is a whole 7 MILES from the city limits.

I said "looks" as if there are many inner city kids hanging out there. I didn't say they are. The apparel that is worn by many of the teens, expressions that are made from the teens are typically more often found in U.S. inner cities more than a suburban area.

However, it is true that many of these teens are not neccesarily living in the inner-city. I am just saying that their outward apperance is someting that most people in this country would associate with the inner-city. It is what it is. Absolutely not meant to be insulting.
    There you go again with the PC speak. So it is fair to assume that all the suburban kids are wearing polo shirts with skinny jeans and all the inner-city kids are wearing oversize t-shrits with pants hanging off their asses? And could you explain to us squares what expressions can determine if you are city or suburban?

I am not determining anything. I am saying there are things that most people in this country would associate with city vs. suburban vs rural. I am not saying I agree that these associations are the rule but I also wasn't born yesterday. I've lived in West Bloomfield and I have lived in the city of Detroit, many times [[not always) there are cultural differences between different areas. Because I have had the advantage of experiencing different cultures, I know that GENERALLY speaking there are differences. Stop playing stupid.

I am not determining anything. I am saying there are things that most people in this country would associate with city vs. suburban vs rural. I am not saying I agree that these associations are the rule but I also wasn't born yesterday. I've lived in West Bloomfield and I have lived in the city of Detroit, many times [[not always) there are cultural differences between different areas. Because I have had the advantage of experiencing different cultures, I know that GENERALLY speaking there are differences. Stop playing stupid.
    Sorry, but I can't respond to this at this time because I am really trying hard to understand what you just posted. Perhaps some of the other posters would like to chip in with their opinions of this.

No prob man, I'm not looking for a response.

This sounds like a familiar discussion, but I can't quite remem...wait. Oh, yeah:
    Michael: Now this gentleman right here is the key to our urban vibe.

Stanley:
    Urban? I grew up in a small town. What about me seems urban to you?

Michael:
    Stanley is hilarious. Phyllis is like our Mrs. Butterworth. Kind of a less urban Aunt Jemima.

Whether you want to hear it or not, much of the crime other than they typical teenage stuff of weed, drinking, and vandalism is caused by residents of Southfield & Detroit. Yes they do come out to Birmingham because of the lack of options to see a movie or wander in their town. That said, have you ever been to the Star Southfield lately???? That crowd there is unruly.

I feel truly agrieved for those teens. Besides ice and roller hockey, movies, theater, arcades, rock climbing, dining, dancing, jogging, walking, bike riding, club and team sports; or individal pursuits like fishing, roller blading, and wind surfing ... there is just nothing to do.

a shame.

Indeed distance is not a factor these days.

I recall as a kid my parents would reference places like Royal Oak, Troy and Novi as being "out there". Like it we were talking about going to Lansing or Grand Rapids in terms of distance! They weren't from Michigan and they had a 70's perspective as to locations and access related to distance.

Indeed now Birmingham is around the corner to me... I pop into Royal Oak just to get to Trader Joes for a few items. It's routine. Birmingham shares its boarder with Southfield at certain parts with Southfield Rd. bottoming out into B'ham.

Also Birmingham is part of the Woodward corridor that is very familiar to most.

Heck teens go everywhere now!

They even hang out an Great Lakes Crossing and that is a "out there" a bit!
    By the way, "way out to Birmingham" is a strech. Shooting up Southfield Freeway and then on to Southfield Road which hits Maple in downtown Birmingham is a whole 7 MILES from the city limits.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-02-10 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Indeed distance is not a factor these days.

I recall as a kid my parents would reference places like Royal Oak, Troy and Novi as being "out there". Like it we were talking about going to Lansing or Grand Rapids in terms of distance! They weren't from Michigan and they had a 70's perspective as to locations and access related to distance.

Indeed now Birmingham is around the corner to me... I pop into Royal Oak just to get to Trader Joes for a few items. It's routine. Birmingham shares its boarder with Southfield at certain parts with Southfield Rd. bottoming out into B'ham.

Also Birmingham is part of the Woodward corridor that is very familiar to most.

Heck teens go everywhere now!

They even hang out an Great Lakes Crossing and that is a "out there" a bit!
    Technically, Southfield does not border Birmingham anywhere. It borders Royal Oak, and Beverly Hills which border Birmingham.

Hmm, thanks for the clarification... I thought they bordered at Southfield Rd. and Thirteen? At the Corners Shopping Center? Well, per google that is Franklin MI? See link below for the Franklin reference:

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...PW1B5jSMMLq7Fk

TJ Maxx Beverly Hills reference per google:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=tjmaxx...7,0.01369&z=16

In any event Southfield is not far, just keep going down Southfield Rd. and you bottom out into B'ham...
    Technically, Southfield does not border Birmingham anywhere. It borders Royal Oak, and Beverly Hills which border Birmingham.
    Last edited by Zacha341; August-02-10 at 06:30 AM.

Thirteen Mile Road and Southfield divide Southfield and Beverly Hills. Birmingham starts at 14 mile. Beverly Hills is in the original Southfield Twp which was 36 sqaure miles from Inkster Rd. to Greenfield and from Eight to Fourteen Mile. Birmingham is in the original Bloomfield Twp. Generally speaking you will not find any municipality that is both south and north of 14 mile. The one exception I can think of is Royal Oak, where a small portion is north of 14 mile at Coolidge.

Having lived in rural, urban and suburb I strongly agree with youre perceptions and believe you are being picked on by hypersensitive politically correct posters<immediate perception

I recall reading about an incident a couple of years back in Birmingham in which a middle aged man made a comment to a group of rowdy teens and he got jumped and pummeled? When I went to Farilane several years back the place was jammed to the packed with rowdy teens: an African immigrant gift shop owner complained about the behaviour suggesting that generally speaking American teens were less respectful of elders than in her home country. She told me about an incident in which she asked two teen girls why they werent in school and one of them flipped her off.

Those rowdy teens! They are full of energy, their hormones are raging, they deal with peer pressure etc. etc. Its not always carefree and easy being a teenager, put youreself in their position-remember when you were that age?

Please be aware the this is not just a black and white race card question. This is a problem question to answer why are more hip cool skinny jean blurry and mop top haired 'Justin Bieber' like kids are using Downtown Birmingham as a hang out spot. Becuase fewer glamourous businesses are losing adult and family predestrian life in the area and some are planning to leave.

PARENTS: Downtown Birmingham is NOT a day care center for kids. Shop with them don't throw them to some glamourous store.
    Last edited by Danny; August-02-10 at 12:24 PM.

Thirteen Mile Road and Southfield divide Southfield and Beverly Hills. Birmingham starts at 14 mile. Beverly Hills is in the original Southfield Twp which was 36 sqaure miles from Inkster Rd. to Greenfield and from Eight to Fourteen Mile. Birmingham is in the original Bloomfield Twp. Generally speaking you will not find any municipality that is both south and north of 14 mile. The one exception I can think of is Royal Oak, where a small portion is north of 14 mile at Coolidge.
    That is why Troy Township voted to become the City of Troy.

Royal Oak and Clawson were nibbling into it with annexations. By incorporating as a city, Troy was immune from involuntary annexations. Avon Township incorporated as the City of Rochester Hills to keep the City of Rochester from annexing its "jewels".

Maybe Birmingham should just implement a curfew like Fairlane did a few years ago. Then all of the kids can go back to getting high in their parents basements all summer... since that's all they will be able to access. And encouraging parents not to drop their teenagers off and leave them unattended downtown? lol. Yeah, sure.

Why are there so few public spaces in Metro Detroit other than the shopping malls?

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Why are there so few public spaces in Metro Detroit other than the shopping malls?
    It's called market-based solutions. Anything else would be one step away from ... Communism!

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Downtown Detroit is chock full of parks where they tore down buildings. Metro parks are also quite prolific. There are lots and lots of "public" spaces.

The thing that should be pointed out about downtown Birmingham is that it is now the only pedestrian friendly area that has not NOT just one but two street-side large movie theatres playing first run films. Unfortunately, even downtown Detroit can't say that. Movie theatres are a magnant for teens. In my day [[the 90s) growing up in West Bloomfield, the place for us middle-schoolers to hang on a Friday night was the AMC Americana West 6 at Orchard Lake and Maple, a 6 screen movie-theatre in the middle of a bunch of strip malls.

With Emagine building a large theatre in downtown Royal Oak, I'm sure the amount of teens [[of suburban and urban background) hanging out in downtown Royal Oak will grow exponentially. Maybe it will alleaviate the teen "madness" in B'ham?

If the city of Detroit could get its act together and reduce crime, maybe we would see one day more districts like B'ham, Royal Oak, Ferndale and Berkley rejuvenate with movie theatres inside the city, the way it should be!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast