Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I see a lot of people hypthesizing without really any first-hand observations.

I grew up in Birmingham and spent a lot of time in downtown B'ham has a teen in the 90's. Back then, yes, teens did hang out there but it was pretty much limited to the local area teens from B'ham/Bloomfield/Troy. There wasn't much to do in the evenings other than walk around and maybe go to Coney Island. Once the original B'ham movie theater opened up it became much more of a draw.

Fast-forward 15 years and yes, downtown Birmingham on a weekend night is much different. The Pallidum opened up in 2002 or so and there are many more restaurants/bars than there used to be down there. These establishments have drawn a much different crowd into downtown in the evening.

The movie theater is drawing an element that didn't used to be in Birmingham, particularly since there are no movie theaters in Detroit for teens / young adults to attend there. They are indeed coming to Birmingham.

There has been increased crime in downtown Birmingham recently. Teens were held up in Booth Park, significant increase in car break-ins, a teen was caught with a loaded gun in the movie theater, many more fights, assualts, etc. Although not teens, but the Blue Martini caused a ton of problems for Birmingham, including a stabbing in that club.

So yes, there is a problem in Birmingham much more than a bunch of teens wandering around with nothing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post

I grew up in Birmingham and spent a lot of time in downtown B'ham has a teen in the 90's. Back then, yes, teens did hang out there but it was pretty much limited to the local area teens from B'ham/Bloomfield/Troy. There wasn't much to do in the evenings other than walk around and maybe go to Coney Island. Once the original B'ham movie theater opened up it became much more of a draw.

Fast-forward 15 years and yes, downtown Birmingham on a weekend night is much different. The Pallidum opened up in 2002 or so and there are many more restaurants/bars than there used to be down there. These establishments have drawn a much different crowd into downtown in the evening.

The movie theater is drawing an element that didn't used to be in Birmingham, particularly since there are no movie theaters in Detroit for teens / young adults to attend there. They are indeed coming to Birmingham.

There has been increased crime in downtown Birmingham recently. Teens were held up in Booth Park, significant increase in car break-ins, a teen was caught with a loaded gun in the movie theater, many more fights, assualts, etc. Although not teens, but the Blue Martini caused a ton of problems for Birmingham, including a stabbing in that club.

So yes, there is a problem in Birmingham much more than a bunch of teens wandering around with nothing to do.

So where do you propose this thuggish element is coming from?

First and foremost the teens are Americans, regardless of their city of origin or race, they are in another part of their country. Supposedly we live in a free society in which we can go where we want to go, but there is no law that residents of regions have to make 'outsiders' feel welcome. Sometimes visitors to a city or region, because of pre-concieved notions show up with a major chip on the shoulder. Sometimes when I run into a pack of male teens I get a little uptight,like, what if these young punks want to start something.....Years ago when I was at Fairlane mall with an ex none of the teens payed us any attention or smarted off...even if they made us feel threatened, thats what security and the police ar for...to keep the peace.

Quote Originally Posted by DTWflyer View Post

Imitating Booker T. [[Tell me he didn't just say that)

Now this is what the fuck I'm talking about. A poster who can honestly say without question that it is Blacks who is creating the fear in Birmingham. Since the White kids don't have the skills to hold people up, break into cars and carry firearms then it could only be one group of people responsible for this: the Detroiters.