Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default Obama In Detroit

Wait for the ending:

It's refreshing to have a president even willing to meet with Detroit for a change.
    Last edited by Jimaz; October-19-10 at 11:56 AM.

You're buying this? Wow! You're easy!

It's a dog & pony show. PR..you know? Michigan is a swing state, so is Ohio. Notice how he keeps going to swing states, or places with Democrat governors. There's a good chance that MI could go with a GOP gov. this time. Do you really think he's there because he loves Detroit? Come on! Notice, how he avoids states that went for McCain in 2008. Too many lies for me to stomach anymore. I gave him a chance; I"m done. I just don't believe anything he says anymore.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kathy2trips View Post

It's a dog & pony show. PR..you know? Michigan is a swing state, so is Ohio. Notice how he keeps going to swing states, or places with Democrat governors. There's a good chance that MI could go with a GOP gov. this time. Do you really think he's there because he loves Detroit? Come on! Notice, how he avoids states that went for McCain in 2008. Too many lies for me to stomach anymore. I gave him a chance; I"m done. I just don't believe anything he says anymore.
    Too much talk radio? Sun in Texas?
    I would avoid states that voted for McCain too, on principle.

I wouldn't. Sometimes you have to preach 'beyond' the choir.... ala that 'reaching across the isle' stuff politicians [[repub and dem) talk about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stosh View Post
    Too much talk radio? Sun in Texas?
    I would avoid states that voted for McCain too, on principle.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-31-10 at 08:40 AM.

It's refreshing to have a president even willing to meet with Detroit for a change.
    It's about time that the boss of GM and Chrysler showed up in person to rally the troops, even if it was all scripted and read from the "Obamaprompter". Where was he last summer when he first took over the two car companies while they were at rock-bottom and his job approval ratings were ten percentage points higher than today? Playing golf, doing self-inflicted damage control with his silly "beer summit", vacationing on Martha's Vineyard, lugging the "Obamaprompter" to a high school in VA, playing more golf...... Personally, I think he needs to spend a lot more time on the golf course working on his game - and he should take Congress along with him.

The lotto club winner anecdote was cute except for one thing, he forgot to mention that the government was the biggest winner, first by taking half of the ticket sales and secondly when they collected 30% of the net winnings in taxes. No wonder those guys decided to keep on working!

Wow, Mikeg, still bitter about the election results from nearly two years ago. If McCain and Palin had won the election we would be seeing the President [[McCain) at a ribbon cutting ceremony at the home of a new Chinese auto plant in Mississippi, one of several new Chinese auto plants in the U.S., since the domestic car companies, GM and Chrysler went out of business . The new companies will employ non-union workers at $7.00/ hour, which includes health benefits for the workers only and covers just two visits to the doctor per year. Any other health care costs will be bourne by the worker and his/her family. President McCain will be seen taking photo ops at the Chinese plant with the CEO of the company and republican wallstreet investors, who poured billions into Chinese auto companies after receiving all of the bailout money the president and the Congress was willing to give out. Does this sound more palettable, Mikeg?

It might have helped your cause more to have posted a video showing a more overwhelming audience opposing presidential support of Detroit automakers. But you couldn't do that could you?

Try watching the entire video before knee-jerking.

What took George W. Bush so long to meet with Detroit automakers anyway? Of what was he afraid?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    It might have helped your cause more to have posted a video showing a more overwhelming audience opposing presidential support of Detroit automakers. But you couldn't do that could you?

What took George W. Bush so long to meet with Detroit automakers anyway? Of what was he afraid?
    Thanks for reminding me why I generally stick to architectural issues on this forum.

I know a lot more about Bush than you, I'll bet. I won't defend Bush because I never liked him. He was a lousy Governor. His daddy got him in. I voted for Ann Richards. She was a great governor and somehow W got to be Governor, instead of Jeb, which was the original plan. I don't care for a lot of what W did as President, but we can't change the past by finger-pointing. This nation grows weary of this from both Obama and his followers. This "he did it", little kid mentality doesn't solve anything.

We're under siege here, from a vindictive, divisive president. Why is that not obvious to you? I don't have time to do your research for you, nor wait for you to realize you've been bamboozled. He's another Kwame from a different mommy. Go to some other state and broaden your horizons. You'll see what I mean.

BTW: I'm in cool, A/C...solar panel powered. Thank you very much.

We're under siege here, from a vindictive, divisive president. Why is that not obvious to you?
    This is the part I don't get from Obama's critics on the right. Even is they don't agree with his views, what in the world is their evidence for claims like this? How is this "obvious"?

It seems to me that Obama has gone waaaay out of his way to be conciliatory, which the other side of the aisle has done literally everything in its power to resist and reject. In fact, that's one of my major problems with him so far.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    This is the part I don't get from Obama's critics on the right. Even is they don't agree with his views, what in the world is their evidence for claims like this? How is this "obvious"?

It seems to me that Obama has gone waaaay out of his way to be conciliatory, which the other side of the aisle has done literally everything in its power to resist and reject. In fact, that's one of my major problems with him so far.
    He is vindictive and mean because his idea of "bipartisan" does not mean " do whatever the republicans in congress say". He's vindictive and mean because he is actually getting stuff done that he said he would do during the campaign. Crazy stuff! IF Republicans offered ideas instead of being the party of "no"... If they offered policy instead of dogma, we might get somewhere. Instead we have tempest in a teabag over a mosque in New York and an alternate reality where deficit spending is to be encouraged as long as it's on tax cuts for the nations wealthiest individuals.

Palin/Gingrich '12- You Betcha!

Right! Even the previous love-fest that extended is starting to wane... not that I am a CNN fan [[I am not), but I just bring them up as one of many examples of disquiet and dissipation in the ever loyal Obama media bubble - NOT just from the usual Fox news, Townhall crowd...
    ...This "he did it" [[continuing to blame Bush) , little kid mentality doesn't solve anything.

He certainly stayed away while Kilpatrick was in office during the later part of his presidential campaign. Smart man. And the primary was delivered to Hillary... as a gift from Jenny.

I sense a bit of angst while attempting to address the question directly? Struck a nerve, eh?

So, is there any Italian bosses at the Jeep plant??
    I wonder if the motorcade went to the obama gas station?

Wait for the ending:

Last edited by Jimaz; October-19-10 at 11:56 AM.

Why are you people knocking Obama? He almost singlehandedly saved the Domestic Auto Industry which this region relies on 95%. Think what would have happened if the GOP let them collapse which they wanted to do? How do you think the Detroit area would look then? I mean it's bad now, but think of the additional jobs that would be lost, not including the one's already gone and never coming back through the bankruptcy. Most of the problems were thrown in his lap by the GOP. Now they're bitching about the deficit they helped create. This country was in debt way before Obama got in. Do you think the GOP has a magic formula to make the debt go away? I like Obama. Has he made mistakes? Sure. Have other Presidents done the same? You're damn skippy. The freakin GOP tried they're damndest not to approve Unemployment Extensions which people in this area need the most. Gimme a break. My least favorite animal is a elephant.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; July-31-10 at 01:42 AM.

Whenever the President of the United States comes to visit, regardless of which Party is in power, it is always an honor and a responsibility. We should thank both Bush and Obama for bailing out the aot indstry, as both men were behind the effort.

Should Bush have met with Wagner and whatshisname? yep, but he didn't, what are you gonna do about it? hate on Obama? Hate on all republicans? jeeze, be happy that so far this bail out has worked out.

What I find interesting is that I can't find a single pic of Obama and Caroline Cheeks Kilpatrick doing the air-kiss.

LOL! Nor one with him fist-bumping Kwame.... he knew to stay away from that political quick sand.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    ....What I find interesting is that I can't find a single pic of Obama and Caroline Cheeks Kilpatrick doing the air-kiss.
    Last edited by Zacha341; July-31-10 at 08:41 AM.

Zach341 wrote:
    >>I hear you, but IMO - just to weigh in, neither Obama/ Palin or McCain/Palin were the best tools in the box... the box was/ is broken.

I agree there. Very broken.

Most Obama freaks love to call the so called bailout of the auto industry something that Obama succeeded in. False. There was no bailout and it was a loan, just like one that the bank would give except that the loan was very large. The auto industry bailed themselves out and some Americans realized that buying foreign has hurt their country and some have gone back to the autos of the good ole USA! I have never owned a foreign car, and I never will. I've purchased two cars in my life, a 1997 Chevy S-10 and a 2008 Chevy Impala. Toyota could make a car for $5 that flew and I'd pass.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    Most Obama freaks love to call the so called bailout of the auto industry something that Obama succeeded in. False. There was no bailout and it was a loan, just like one that the bank would give except that the loan was very large. The auto industry bailed themselves out and some Americans realized that buying foreign has hurt their country and some have gone back to the autos of the good ole USA! I have never owned a foreign car, and I never will. I've purchased two cars in my life, a 1997 Chevy S-10 and a 2008 Chevy Impala. Toyota could make a car for $5 that flew and I'd pass.
    Obama freaks?? That's one for the books.

A New York Times take on the Volt which GM and the President are betting on. I have a son who wants to buy one but they won't even be sold Minnesota, where he lives, or Michigan right away. Sales will be allowed one cluster of states at a time partly to allow for mechanic training. California is at the head of the list partly because of the extra state subsidies there and a climate more benign to battery operation.

GM's Electric lemon

And your usage of the term "Obama-prompter", which by the way is never gonna catch on [[your the first person I have ever heard to utter such a stupid phrase), just reminded me of the usage of the prefix.
    I really don't care if it catches on or not, however, its use in this instance appears to have been very effective. All recent Presidents have relied on the use of a teleprompter, but some of President Obama's supporters appear to be very sensitive to the embarrassingly huge difference in Obama's rhetorical eloquence when he happens to speak without one - perhaps because it then shatters Obama's "storybook" image when it becomes obvious that he doesn't sound any more articulate than George W. Bush?
    "I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that's a storybook, man." - Sen. Joseph Biden [[D-Delaware), Jan. 31, 2007
    And I don't understand your last question because I know I wasn't confused, I was just talking about the term.
    I was referring to your astounding statement that ""Obamacare" and "Obama Motors" are just two of the many accomplishments this administration and Congress have completed". You seem to accept just the conclusion of the political debate, legislation and intervention associated with these initiatives as accomplishment enough, when in fact you should be waiting until you see tangible results before you proclaim them to be completed accomplishments. So far there is insufficient evidence to indicate that these initiatives are completed, and absolutely no evidence to suggest that they are successful accomplishments. Yes, Congress passed a law that will radically change the way people's health will be insured, but none of that has gone into effect yet, and the cost estimates continue to climb. And yes, Obama's intervention in the restructuring of GM's and Chrysler's debts has given what remains of those two companies a new lease on life [[and the government a majority ownership stake in each of them), but there is insufficient evidence yet that they will be sustainable and profitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    I really don't care if it catches on or not, however, its use in this instance appears to have been very effective. All recent Presidents have relied on the use of a teleprompter, but some of President Obama's supporters appear to be very sensitive to the embarrassingly huge difference in Obama's rhetorical eloquence when he happens to speak without one - perhaps because it then shatters Obama's "storybook" image when it becomes obvious that he doesn't sound any more articulate than George W. Bush?
    You apparently have never taken a Public Speaking class. Bush was an awful public speaker, with or without a prompter. Obama, and frankly every other president, knows/knew how to speak with or without a prompter. No, I am not embarrassed by Obama's supposed inarticulateness, because even without a prompter Obama sounds 110% better than Bush. Of course everyone sounds 110% better than Bush.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast