Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Default I-94 and the Lodge

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why the Lodge South/I-94 E, Lodge North /I-94 W ramps are closed? They have been like this for nearly a year and I never see work going on there. In fact, there is a little space between the barriers and I see cop cars sneaking through every once-in-a-while. Apparently the ramps are driveable and from what I've been able to see down into them they look clean & normal. What's the deal here?

Thank you Thank you Thank you for posting this question. It has been driving me nuts.

I seem to remember that these ramps were closed at the same time that I-75 closed near the Ambassador Bridge. About the only reason [[excuse?) I can think of is that detour traffic from that project would swamp these ramps. One of the documents on MDOT's I-75 project page lists potential detours and shows those two ramps as closed.

Project site: http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,...614---,00.html

Detour map:
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/md...s_267486_7.pdf

Yeah. I could see that. Especially with those left lane entrance ramps onto 94. Those can get pretty hairy at times.

It will be closed until December according to this [[under the M-10 section),
    Ramp Closure - Map - Mon 4/14/08, 12 AM to Tue 12/1/09, 12 AM
    Southbound M-10 to eastbound I-94
    Details: Ramp from southbound M-10 to eastbound I-94 is closed until December 2009.
    Detour: The traffic is detoured in advance to eastbound M-8 to southbound I-75 to eastbound I-94. Motorists also may take southbound M-10 to northbound I-75 to eastbound I-94.
    Alternate route advised
    Wayne County
    Expires in 217 days. Last updated: 11/26/08 8:32 AM

Next time you're sitting in normal 10 MPH traffic on Westbound Edsel Ford [[94), I dare you to glance up, to the left, at the EB exit ramp to the NB Lodge. Several steel footings which rest on the reinforced concrete piers are broken, and by that, I mean sideways, and resting on the pier, 15 feet above the entrance ramp from the NB Lodge. You will think twice about taking the NB Lodge to WB Ford exit, at least until they rebuild the entire structure.

Amazing that it always takes such an excruciatingly long time to get any road construction finished in metro Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I seem to remember that these ramps were closed at the same time that I-75 closed near the Ambassador Bridge. About the only reason [[excuse?) I can think of is that detour traffic from that project would swamp these ramps. One of the documents on MDOT's I-75 project page lists potential detours and shows those two ramps as closed.

Project site: http://www.michigan.gov/mdot/0,1607,...614---,00.html

Detour map:
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/md...s_267486_7.pdf
    That's exactly what I remember hearing...

I hate going through construction zones when there is no work going on. Candyassed workers can't go 24/7, I guess.