After reading today's Detroit News story http://www.detnews.com/article/20100...on-DPS-control about putting the question of who will control DPS on the ballot, I have to ask what is the holdup?

A petition drive was started to collect signatures. They collected the required number of signatures, so it should be on the ballot right? Wrong!!! Instead the City Council has turned this into a zoo. If the CC don't put this on the ballot and let people vote on the question of turning control over to the mayor, the next governor will have no problem giving the mayor control just like the governor did previously.

I read this quote from the story and it left me shaking my head........

Tia Shepherd, a parent of six, said any change of leadership needs to come from the people not from a council ballot initiative.
"The change needs to be within us," she said.

My question to Ms. Shepherd would be this: How would you create change if there is no movement to call for the change? Do nothing and the status quo remains. This is the reason why Kwame Kilpatrick was reelected. I say the council should put it on the ballot where it would be approved in a landslide.