Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I am always concerned about how a car performs in the winter.

This is merely a base technology, something to build on... Credit GM for doing something no other major automaker was willing to do. Now if they could only do something along the lines of the FCX Clarity by Honda.

Quote Originally Posted by d.mcc View Post
    This is merely a base technology, something to build on... Credit GM for doing something no other major automaker was willing to do. Now if they could only do something along the lines of the FCX Clarity by Honda.
    You should look up Project Driveway. Just like the FCX Clarity, GM has put a few hundred fuel cell vehicles in the hands of consumers... the difference is that Honda made people pay a monthly payment to have the pleasure of being their guinea pig.

george_babbage Guest

Here's a quick fix... Don't live 100 miles from work
    People change jobs, or job locations [[jobs have lost their permanence); they put in hundreds of miles every week visiting clients, or going from contract job to contract job; they are stuck living where they are because property values went kaput; they don't want to uproot their families; etc., etc., etc.

Well now it looks like the Volt is going to require premium gas.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/28/2...s-premium-gas/

True.
    Attachment 7002
    The first Motorola cell phone.
    Weight: 2lb.
    Talk time: 30 minutes.
    Recharge time: 10 hours.
    Cost in 1983: $3,995.00
    Last edited by old guy; January-03-11 at 09:22 PM.

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GrandCircus289 View Post
    Well now it looks like the Volt is going to require premium gas.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/28/2...s-premium-gas/
    The first batch isn't due to supply issues but the Volt is also supposed to be E85 compatible soon.
    Last edited by lilpup; July-28-10 at 02:55 PM.

Wolverine.....
    ......charging stations are not the issue. We do a lot of traveling in our work and the Leaf, which I understand is a pure electric, has a range of about 100 miles. Spending 4 hours at a charging station 100 miles away does me no good when the store I'm servicing is 150 miles from my house.

Until either the range of electric vheicles drasticly increases, or charging becomes a 5 minute operation, electric cars will be nothing more than second [[or third) cars or commuter vheicles.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Wolverine.....
    ......charging stations are not the issue. We do a lot of traveling in our work and the Leaf, which I understand is a pure electric, has a range of about 100 miles. Spending 4 hours at a charging station 100 miles away does me no good when the store I'm servicing is 150 miles from my house.

Until either the range of electric vheicles drasticly increases, or charging becomes a 5 minute operation, electric cars will be nothing more than second [[or third) cars or commuter vheicles.
    There is no range limit with the Volt. If it needs more electricity, it charges itself.

It is sad that [[and it was said earlier) that this is an American product it is being derided. After the nonsense Toyota has pulled with their throttle problems and so many others, I don't see the country of origin being a valid argument. Now this tread can go right in the crapper.

my 35 mpg KIA,
    Sad. Hope you didn't think that reference to a poor quality non-Detroit product bolstered any kind of argument.

For me, I think I will wait for the PHEV Focus. Sure, the BEV is coming out soon and will have great range, but PHEV for me would be perfect. Plug it in and drive most days all-electric, and then saddle up the rest if I want to go cross-country. Oh, and built right here in Metro Detroit... oooh la la.

http://green.autoblog.com/2010/01/11...hev-coming-in/
    Last edited by East Detroit; July-28-10 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Added link

My garage has the juice to deal with the Volt, Yet my pockets and the fact I need to use my truck alot this year make this a non issue.Maybe next year though.But then again I run outta gas in my truck and lately the tractor .Would run ot of juice with the Volt.

Outside of the fact that the Kia has 172,000 trouble free miles on it, I wasn't trying to bolster any argument, and could have just as easily said my 30 mpg Buick.

I DID make the initial error of thinking that the Volt was an electric only auto, in the same way the Leaf is. Again though, for all practical purposes, to save any money the Volt [[and the Leaf) would have to operate almost exclusively as low mileage commuter style runs. Cure the distance problem and I'll become a believer.

I think the Volt is a great start, and I'll compare it to the launch of CD burners:

In 1992, a CD burner cost $35,000

In 1995, the cost dropped to $995

Currently, one can be purchased for less than $20

If the volt is successful, more will be built and the cost will drop significantly.

Outside of the fact that the Kia has 172,000 trouble free miles on it, I wasn't trying to bolster any argument, and could have just as easily said my 30 mpg Buick.

I DID make the initial error of thinking that the Volt was an electric only auto, in the same way the Leaf is. Again though, for all practical purposes, to save any money the Volt [[and the Leaf) would have to operate almost exclusively as low mileage commuter style runs. Cure the distance problem and I'll become a believer.
    That is the issue so many are not recognizing. it's not a distance "problem". the often repeated stat is that 80% of commuters travel 40 miles or less a day. This car is clearly not for the other 20%. that 20% is a portion of the population probably over represented around here due to our retardedly sprawled out region.

The "problem" as I see it is way too many people seem to be saying that the Volt is an immediate and total failure because it is not going to appeal to every. single. person.
    Last edited by bailey; July-29-10 at 08:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BagAJellyDonuts View Post
    There is no range limit with the Volt. If it needs more electricity, it charges itself.

It is sad that [[and it was said earlier) that this is an American product it is being derided. After the nonsense Toyota has pulled with their throttle problems and so many others, I don't see the country of origin being a valid argument. Now this tread can go right in the crapper.
    Uh, when you run out of gas, you run out of range.

I saw a Volt driving north on I-75 between Bay City and Standish a month or so ago. I don't know where they started or where they ended. But I was surprised to get passed by the car going ~75 mph in the middle of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
    Uh, when you run out of gas, you run out of range.
    Uh, so what's new?

Unlike the Leaf, you just put more gas in and keep going.

lincoln8740 Guest

At a price tag of 35k the kind of people who are in that price range usually do not care about gas prices.

I will stick with my 20009 Denali which I got for basically the same price

big, comfortable, I can bring the family up north and [[oh my god!) drive in the snow

Now if they could only do something along the lines of the FCX Clarity by Honda.
    I, along with many others, cry FOUL on this product.
    Honda attempted to destroy this countries only source of
    CNG pumps..they bought a viable company, that was making money, and closed the doors almost instantly. This was to make their
    FCX car appear to be the only new 'green' car out there.
    My 'fuelman' station [[CNG) has a hydrogen pump that I could run,
    it's 5000 PSI...CNG = 3500.
    Anyway, let's hope the Volt sells well!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2