Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
    I've lingered for a while, but never joined. Now that i've joined I think i'll go back to lingering. If that is even worth my time.
    We don't like you either.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Why all the harsh comments about a fellow forum member who simply asked a question? People frequently ask about unstained rumors regarding restaurants closing in Detroit and nobody slams them personally.
    Unfortunately, some people on this forum think it is OK to not afford DetroitDad the courtesy that they would afford to others.

EastSider Guest

Maybe people remember the long story about DetroitDad's car breaking down in that area and his epic trek to find a gas station that had him criss-crossing the same area two and three times. Too many previous posts filled with "nutty wonder" and over-the-top attempts to seem deep and insightful.

DetroitDad Guest

Thanks guys.

It's true, I did complain about my car dying at the Crooks road exit one Winter, and how awkward and dangerous it was to have to walk to a gas station [[cell phone was dead) on a main road with no sidewalks. Obviously, I also am an advocate of urban design solutions in the city and suburbs... so sue me.

I go to many of the events and meetings around here, and have met many of our the more rude forum members in person. It's always the same, they see me and say nothing to my face, most are even pretty nice. I know who they are, and they don't even mention meeting me to each other.

Yes, you have to keep it a secret that you were nice to Sean of Detroit to keep up your big bad Internet persona, I guess.

I don't feel very threatened.

DetroitDad Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    Maybe people remember the long story about DetroitDad's car breaking down in that area and his epic trek to find a gas station that had him criss-crossing the same area two and three times. Too many previous posts filled with "nutty wonder" and over-the-top attempts to seem deep and insightful.
    What on Earth.....

Yes, everyone wants to be cool like me...

...but the jokes on you, I'm not cool... or deep... or insightful. All I did was quote crumby movies during my first year of posting here. My last reference was posting a modified picture of a no-talent 80's band. How are you interpreting that as an attempt at being anything other than me being me is beyond me.

I'm wasting too much time on these damn message boards.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitDad View Post
    Thanks guys.

It's true, I did complain about my car dying at the Crooks road exit one Winter, and how awkward and dangerous it was to have to walk to a gas station [[cell phone was dead) on a main road with no sidewalks. Obviously, I also am an advocate of urban design solutions in the city and suburbs... so sue me.

I go to many of the events and meetings around here, and have met many of our the more rude forum members in person. It's always the same, they see me and say nothing to my face, most are even pretty nice. I know who they are, and they don't even mention meeting me to each other.

Yes, you have to keep it a secret that you were nice to Sean of Detroit to keep up your big bad Internet persona, I guess.

I don't feel very threatened.
    Nobody is threatening you here, from what I've seen anyway.

Please quit whining, it's quite unseemly for a supposedly grown man.

Now for the good news. The PNC sign that was up there when I passed the last time is now gone. So pat yourself on the back, you got a scoop.

My bet is that the unlit PNC bank sign will be replaced by a lit one. Or not. Either way, I've been searching for those rusted girders every time I pass the place. Combined with the curves along that stretch, I'm lucky that I don't kill myself craning my neck trying to spot the decay.

And BTW they are hiring for that location.

Troy NCC
    Last edited by Stosh; July-27-10 at 08:06 PM.

DetroitDad Guest

If only you spent half as much time coming up with witty remarks and I spent half as much time posting worthless drivel on message boards, and put that time into the city, we'd all be through by now. It doesn't matter how smart or witty we are

Of course, this is just me trying to sound deep and insightful again.

Then again... you know, polar opposites don't repel each other the way you and I do.

Stosh Guest

If only you spent half as much time coming up with witty remarks and I spent half as much time posting worthless drivel on message boards, and put that time into the city, we'd all be through by now. It doesn't matter how smart or witty we are

Of course, this is just me trying to sound deep and insightful again.

Then again... you know, polar opposites don't repel each other the way you and I do.
    Not surprisingly DD, you aren't far from the truth.

And we aren't that diametrically opposed either. You just are more idealistic and young still. I had great hopes for the city once, and that was dashed by the consistent idiocy of the government of Detroit.

DetroitDad Guest

You never told your story, how would I know?

Stosh Guest

You never told your story, how would I know?
    I have. You just don't pay attention.

DetroitDad Guest

Well then what would you suggest?

Stosh Guest

Well then what would you suggest?
    I'm not suggesting anything. Lessons learned are learned over time. There are no shortcuts to experience. Watch the city council meeting from today, and enjoy the show. That alone should dissuade you from ever hoping for better things again. I watched the whole thing this morning and afternoon, and reinforced my belief system.

DetroitDad Guest

Thank you, you gave me a lot to think about for awhile.

There are some things I have to go do.

Ok, this thread is now in outer space, time to bring it back to reality. I have roof access to the building and also receive the notifications they send out. Here's what is going on:

The original sign was pulled down several months ago and in its place a temporary sign was put up. This was intact until just a few weeks ago. Workers are up there currently building up a totally new lighted sign. This is a huge project so it isn't going to happen overnight. Below is a notice that went out to building tenants on July 2nd:

Dear Tenants,

As part of the rooftop signage change to install the permanent PNC Bank letters we will need to COMPLETELY close access to the Building.

The helicopter lift will be removing several panels and then lifting several new panels to the roof. Local regulations and safety rules restrict access to the parking lots and building during these lifts.

Please make arrangements to have your staff work from an offsite location for this day. Building associates will not be allowed to enter the building even to get files, laptops, etc.

The date of SUNDAY JULY 18th is scheduled for the lift.....WEATHER [[and Winds) PERMITTING.
    Should the conditions not allow the lift to occur we will reschedule.

PLEASE SHARE THIS INFORMATION WITH ALL ASSOCIATES and STAFF.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this project.

The temporary sign looked like it was too big to begin with. How can the building even support a bigger sign? The building is so rusted it might collapse on its own. Now an even bigger electric sign? This is crazy.

I had to drive up North recently, and I noticed that the National City Bank sign high atop the National City Headquarters has been removed, and has apparently been gone for some time. The building, in the early evening was also completely dark, except for a single small light on an upper floor. I have driven by this building enough times to say that the lack of lights is out of the ordinary. Unlit, and with the sign removed, the building looks like the Renaissance Center used to, with no crown and shades of brown windows covering it's surface. Only rusty steel beams remain where the signs once were.

Despite the removal of the iconic sign, I have not seen a single comment or article about this. What's up? Are we going to be seeing a new sign and cleanup of the building's appearance? As it stands now, it looks... vacant. Although I am usually somewhat critical of Troy and focus on the City, this is among the first notable Detroit landmarks to visitors from the North, and right now it's a welcoming sign that says that you have now entered an abandoned and blighted city.

I was a skeptic on this thread, but this was on the Crain's website today....

Electrical fire forces evacuation of workers at PNC Center in Troy
    Shawn Wright - An electrical fire at the PNC Center building in Troy forced firefighters to evacuate workers Thursday morning, said Troy Assistant Fire Chief Dave Roberts.
    The Troy Fire Department arrived at the former Top of Troy building around 7:05 a.m. to put out a fire that was contained to an elevator equipment room on the 16th floor, which is occupied by the Society of Automotive Engineers.
    Roberts, who is also Troy's fire marshal, said the entire building was evacuated, with most people still arriving for work. Firefighters were on the scene immediately, Roberts said, and were there and gone within 90 minutes.
    “It's always challenging when you have a fire in a building this size, especially on the 16th floor,” Roberts said. “But we have a procedure we follow and it worked quickly and well today.”
    The fire sent smoke through eight floors of the building and the fire department was able to ventilate the smoke. There was a residual odor of smoke on the eight floors, Roberts said, but tenants of the building have been allowed back in.
    “It was a non-event, but obviously when there's smoke you get attention,” said Fred Liesveld, executive vice president and managing director of Santa Ana, Calif.-based real estate firm Grubb & Ellis Co., which is the property manager for the PNC Center.
    Liesveld said he didn't have a full damage report yet, but did say he “would significantly doubt” if there was extensive damage from water or smoke.
    Roberts confirmed this, saying there was no water or smoke damage to any of the building's floors but that the elevator equipment room did suffer damage.
    Some of the building's higher-profile tenants include PNC Bank's Michigan headquarters and Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

What is there in that article that made you less skeptical? There was a fire, they put it out. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by manualshift View Post
    The temporary sign looked like it was too big to begin with. How can the building even support a bigger sign? The building is so rusted it might collapse on its own. Now an even bigger electric sign? This is crazy.
    Are you by chance referring to the previously posted "picture" of the PNC sign on top of the building that stretched wider than the building is?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3