Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Elevated is much to costly, up into the billions. Ground level system for sure!

If anyone was listening to 97.1 the Ticket yesterday afternoon, they were talking about light rail. One of the callers, most of them anti-light rail and ignorant, was talking about how someone might crash into the LRT car and destroy it. If he knew any better, he would that those cars are much, much more heavier than cars and would quickly destroy you, so please, get out of the way of the LRT. lol
    You are correct. They are ignorant and you can tell that they have never been anywhere. Any intelligent person who have a bit of common sense knows that the light-rail system is directly connected to the traffic system so that it will change the lights when the train is approaching.

Elevated is much to costly, up into the billions. Ground level system for sure!

If anyone was listening to 97.1 the Ticket yesterday afternoon, they were talking about light rail. One of the callers, most of them anti-light rail and ignorant, was talking about how someone might crash into the LRT car and destroy it. If he knew any better, he would that those cars are much, much more heavier than cars and would quickly destroy you, so please, get out of the way of the LRT. lol
    On YouTube, there is a video of such idiots falling victim to the Dallas LRT System. One of them, I recall, was a work van that was almost split in half... the Dallas System is in the median, and all over they have signs for "NO LEFT TURN," but people still try to turn left... almost every car that got hit in that video was trying to make a left hand turn right in front of those signs... and for the opponents of LRT, there was not one instance where the train sustained significant damage... the train won every battle.

I'm wondering if anyone has a count on the number of times an article has stated rail up woodward will be "breaking ground next year". seems like they've been putting them out since as far back as 04-05.

tomorrow, I love ya! you're always a day away!.
    Last edited by bailey; August-03-10 at 11:09 AM.

They should at least make the line a riverside one. Would be great to drive along the river. And it would also be great connection to the Joe Lewis Arena, Cobo and Renaissance Center. Furthermore I think a branch to the Ford Center, Comerica Park and the Fox Theater should be considered, but maybe I'm thinking too far ahead. But those big crowd magnets should have a adequate link. Maybe some of those ghastly parkinglots would then be obselete and could be build upon.

Here in the Netherlands there are massive transit centers. The Amsterdam ArenA doubles as a downtown parkinglot, on non-match days, for tourists, even though it's about 5 miles from downtown. There are streetcars, a trainservice and subway at walking distance.

Amsterdam ArenA.

Map of Amsterdam. ArenA in the bottom right corner.

Detroit should have a large parking lot on the outskirts of the city where the line has a good connection. As someone inhere said, he'd rather walk a mile than pay a fee downtown for a parking space. Another possible outcome of this is that Downtown could more pedestrian friendly.
    Last edited by Whitehouse; August-03-10 at 11:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitehouse View Post
    Detroit should have a large parking lot on the outskirts of the city where the line has a good connection. As someone inhere said, he'd rather walk a mile than pay a fee downtown for a parking space. Another possible outcome of this is that Downtown could more pedestrian friendly.
    This is already part of the plan [[State Fairgrounds station).

Note, however, that of all the means of accessing transit, providing parking spaces is by far the most expensive, and tends to serve primarily "rush-hour-only" commuters. In order to produce the most cost-effective system, providing the greatest amount of benefits, access to stations by pedestrians, bicycles, and buses [[in that order) should be emphasized.

Wait until the bureuacratic political debate and more stacks of paperwork comes in. Folks announced public regional transit in the Metro-Detroit Area since 1850 and we still haven't got it. DARTA is dead and so could this light rail transit along Woodward Ave. if we Detroiters and Suburbanites don't lobby and rally political representatives for regional transit.

WORD FROM THE STREET PROPHET

For 'WE THE PEOPLE' of the State of Michigan demand public service for the common good.

Neda, I miss you so.

They should at least make the line a riverside one. Would be great to drive along the river.
    The People Mover already does this between the Joe Louis and financial district stations. It runs along the river on the backside of Joe Louis arena and Cobo Hall. Running the line along the river would only add track length and add no real added commuting value. There aren't many business or residences that aren't already covered by the people mover.

I would also prefer to walk along our brand new riverwalk than have that space given up to transit.

I would hope that when a train or trains come up to the intersection, all lights turn red and the NO WALKING signal is turned on so the train can proceed safely.

I would hope that when a train or trains come up to the intersection, all lights turn red and the NO WALKING signal is turned on so the train can proceed safely.
    This is signal pre-emption. It is part of any plan to improve transit regardless of mode. We have some mind boggling stuff we can do with GPS now.

When the train is coming or in this case a light-rail, it will always have the right of way. Any car or pedestrian who gets hit by one well the fault is theirs.

Default Chicago transit park and rides

In Chicago, the park and ride facilities are great. The Rosemont parking structure on the blue line is huge. The system seems to work great for them. Here's a link.

Did anyone see on TV2 last night a poll they commisioned? "Would you use the light rail?" Unbelievably, 77% said no.

Stromberg2

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    Did anyone see on TV2 last night a poll they commisioned? "Would you use the light rail?" Unbelievably, 77% said no.

Stromberg2
    I wonder if they polled Detroiters since the rail starts in Detroit of course then it would be Detroiters who would ride this like they would riding the Woodward bus.

Stromberg2
    Most older people are so set in their ways, they won't change now, whereas if they had grown up with it they may... they are the same people that have been against it all along... younger people don't even care about the news, let alone watch it... so it is the 40-60 year olds that are mostly taking the poll, not the younger 25-40 year olds that will be the market for the line... the younger people who begin to use it, should it come to fruition, are the 25-40 year olds, then they will continue to use it as they get older, whereas 40+ people have made do all along so no need to change now.

Secretary LaHood posted on his blog about Detroit's plans.
    http://fastlane.dot.gov/2010/08/fta-...rd-avenue.html

Stromberg2
    And you don't need everyone to use the rail. Certainly not everyone in Chicago, or NYC, or Portland uses their systems, but there it is to use for the people who do use for those who use it fair-weather.

LodgeDodger Guest

You know, we could save a lot of money if we were to just beef up the city bus routes. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by LodgeDodger View Post
    You know, we could save a lot of money if we were to just beef up the city bus routes. Seriously.
    You're right, and they do plan to do that. But to use the cliche used over and over here, buses do not create investment. Period.

You're right, and they do plan to do that. But to use the cliche used over and over here, buses do not create investment. Period.
    If I could add to your statement, buses are just not sexy enough. Buses are needed but it can no longer be the sole method of public transportation.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    If I could add to your statement, buses are just not sexy enough. Buses are needed but it can no longer be the sole method of public transportation.
    And that's very true. It's like saying to someone, you can drive any of these two cars, it doesn't matter...a 1975 Ford Pinto or 2011 Cadillac CTS Coupe? which would you choose?

Buses are needed as feeder systems.

Quote Originally Posted by R8RBOB View Post
    "Sexy" has nothing to do with it. It's all about performance, and no other metropolitan area in the United States run bus routes as long in mileage as those in Southeast Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettopalmetto View Post
    "Sexy" has nothing to do with it. It's all about performance, and no other metropolitan area in the United States run bus routes as long in mileage as those in Southeast Michigan.
    Hmm, I wonder why?

And that's very true. It's like saying to someone, you can drive any of these two cars, it doesn't matter...a 1975 Ford Pinto or 2011 Cadillac CTS Coupe? which would you choose?

Buses are needed as feeder systems.
    I will take the 1975 Ford Pinto because it was made of metal.......{{SIKE}}

Would I use the light rail system? What for? It looks like the rich people got their plan together for Woodward. We've already been told property values will be going up. The people had no say in this.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Martin View Post
    Would I use the light rail system? What for? It looks like the rich people got their plan together for Woodward. We've already been told property values will be going up. The people had no say in this.
    There have been plenty of public forums and the people voted for the politicians who made this happen. What more do you want? A popular vote on this? Should we vote on everything? Want to repave a street? Better vote on it! Want to fix some street lights? Wait for an election so we can vote on it!

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast